Special interests have NO limits in elections.

• News
  • Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the right-wing Supreme Court has allowed corporations to spend unlimited money to influence elections, while disenfranchising the voters of small states. This decision will likely lead to the mid-term elections of 2010 being the nastiest and crudest assault on the US populace ever.
Ivan Seeking said:
While you are right to worry about free speech, if the election process can be driven by corporate-funded disinformation services, democracy has no hope. Again I remind you that there is no reason to assume that any multinational corporation has any national loyalites [or domestic corporations for that matter] - by definition, the bottom line drives their loyalties whether it is in the best interest of the country or not. In the case of multinationals, why would you defend foreign influence in US elections?
All of these concerns are equally valid if the source isn't a union or corporation. And the overturned law exempted corporations that the government considered to be primarily "media outlets".

Should government block political speech from AFL-CIO while allowing it from Fox News, because the government determines that one is a "media outlet" while the other isn't? That's exactly what this law did.

Allowing government to pick and choose which sources of political speech to block and which to allow is a much bigger threat to democracy than for people to have access to all political speech, both information and disinformation, and decide for themselves what to think.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
The problem is this: How does one protect the first ammendment while maintaining a credible election process. There are two imperatives in play here, not just one. While you are right to worry about free speech, if the election process can be driven by corporate-funded disinformation services, democracy has no hope. Again I remind you that there is no reason to assume that any multinational corporation has any national loyalites [or domestic corporations for that matter] - by definition, the bottom line drives their loyalties whether it is in the best interest of the country or not. In the case of multinationals, why would you defend foreign influence in US elections? Do you really want foreign suppliers deciding who gets elected through virtually unlimited funding for advertising, faux documetaries, fantasy political movies, and year-round political commericials?

I think there's more than just two imperatives in play. The primary issue is freedom of the speech and how it affects elections. A third issue is whether corporations (or labor unions, or political parties) even deserve any rights.

I think if there's any doubt about the issue, you should lean on the side of freedom of speech. The phrase, "How does one protect the first ammendment while... " has been used too many times with some very important reason or another substituted for the dot-dot-dots (usually a major war, or sometimes an undeclared war, or many times simply because we don't like Communists). In other words, the SCOTUS hasn't done much to protect free speech in the past. It's generally held that free speech can be suspended or restricted for just about any reason the government invents. In fact, young men can still technically be imprisoned for six years for burning their draft card (it would probably take a lot more effort to convince a police officer to arrest you, though, than it did in the 60's).

I think you have to show a very definite likelihood of elections being corrupted to justify restrictions on free speech. I'm not sure that's the case with past history. It's a definite possibility, but I don't think there's any real evidence to show it's a reality. Even presuming likelihood depends on cynicism more than anything else.

I think the "personhood" of corporations is a completely separate issue that just happens to overlap into the freedom of speech issue in this particular case. The inalienable rights protected in the Bill of Rights applies to individuals, not groups - i.e. the Republican Party has no particular rights; only its members do. There is a separation between the group and its individual members and transference of rights from the individuals to the group isn't an automatic process. (And the First Amendment specifically protects freedom of the press; hence exceptions to the media that may or may not be owned by corporations - the logic doesn't matter here - in fact, what freedom of the press means in today's era could be a fourth issue from this case).

If any credible correlation could be presented that corporate money corrupted elections, then I think they could be regulated, since there is no way a corporation has the same rights as a real person (and I have to admit that most of my bad feelings about this decision stems from the idea that a corporation could have any rights).

I just don't think there's any evidence (other than general cynicism about politicians) to show corporate money actually corrupts elections.

Ivan Seeking said:
The problem is this: How does one protect the first ammendment while maintaining a credible election process. There are two imperatives in play here, not just one. While you are right to worry about free speech, if the election process can be driven by corporate-funded disinformation services, democracy has no hope. Again I remind you that there is no reason to assume that any multinational corporation has any national loyalites [or domestic corporations for that matter] - by definition, the bottom line drives their loyalties whether it is in the best interest of the country or not. In the case of multinationals, why would you defend foreign influence in US elections? Do you really want foreign suppliers deciding who gets elected through virtually unlimited funding for advertising, faux documetaries, fantasy political movies, and year-round political commericials?

In my own experience, most people whom I talk with [in person] who HATE Obama [which around here is pretty much everyone!], have their heads so filled with disinformation that one hardly knows where to begin. I don't care if someone disagrees with me. That is how democracy works. What bothers me is when their opinion is based on Fox/hate-radio nonsense. To allow unlimited influence by these disinformation services would be catastrophic. Already we are waaaaaay over the line wrt excessive influence. I believe that democracy itself is in great jeopardy. Democracy requires an informed electorate, not misinformed hate-the-liberal-at-any-cost voters. Things have gotten so bad that to even mention something like "alternatives to petroleum" is generally peceived as a "liberal" issue, and not an "American" issue. This is absolute craziness!

Again, if there is no difference between a real and fictional person, I want to know what logic prevents corporations from having a vote.

you're complaining that there's not enough censorship? you've got to be kidding me. and you honestly think your rhetoric applies only to those you disagree with?

your post here has convinced me that the supreme court has made the correct decision. it is not up to people like you to decide what is acceptable speech and what is not acceptable. individually, the electorate certainly does contain a lot of dim bulbs, and i know they annoy you, but collectively they do a fairly good job of assessing what works and what does not.

There's a lot of smoke being blown about this decision, as if corporations *as private entities* deserve the right to spend all the money they want to buy elections as a matter of "free speech". Those who claim that McCain-Feingold and other campaign finance reforms are attacking "free speech" are somehow conveniently forgetting that each and every member of each corporation who is a citizen has the right to vote, and they have the right to donate money to whomever they want, and say whatever they want for or against candidates or issues. No single person is ever stripped of their rights when corporations are restricted from dumping billions into our elections. Not one. When corporations are free to spend as much as they want to buy elections, they can easily shout down locally-funded grass-roots movements and stifle free discussion, and that effectively disenfranchises us all, to some extent.

Corporations already have disproportionate influence in DC, and if the fiction of "Corporation=Person" is allowed to stand, we are in an inexorable slide toward facism. Eisenhower warned about the growing power of corporate interests, especially those involved in defense industries. Unfortunately, the US populace has become complacent and sit on their hands when our government denies its citizens affordable access to health care, education, and other necessities while corporations make obscene profits. BTW, I don't give Obama any good marks on this score. He and Geithner have not reined in Wall Street or forced them to pay for the damage they inflicted on our country's economy with their wild gambling schemes. Tonight's State of the Union Address had better be a doozy, not only with admissions of guilt and responsibility, but some clear path out of this mess, including getting the influence of corporations out of our government.

they're not buying elections, they're buying advertising, which is speech. speech is not a magical force that compels people to vote for things.

Proton Soup said:
they're not buying elections, they're buying advertising, which is speech. speech is not a magical force that compels people to vote for things.
Have you ever seen what happens to advertising in small markets when monied interests want in? There are probably a half-dozen private TV stations in Maine, and a corporation could easily buy up every ad-slot around the news and prime-time and swamp grass-roots efforts who can't afford to buy ad-time when the corporations have driven up the price, even if there are adequate slots left. Fall 2010 is going to be a bloody mess in the small states, particularly.

turbo-1 said:
Have you ever seen what happens to advertising in small markets when monied interests want in? There are probably a half-dozen private TV stations in Maine, and a corporation could easily buy up every ad-slot around the news and prime-time and swamp grass-roots efforts who can't afford to buy ad-time when the corporations have driven up the price, even if there are adequate slots left. Fall 2010 is going to be a bloody mess in the small states, particularly.

That's an advertising issue not a free speech issue.

drankin said:
By couching their decision as a "free speech" issue the activists on the court have performed a slick sleight-of-hand which will let corporations block less-well-funded groups from the airwaves. Our little TV stations have a limited number of ad-slots that they can sell during the news and prime-time. The rest are held by the networks, who use them to hawk medications, cars, etc. Corporations can very easily buy ALL the slots held by the affiliates in news-hours and prime-time and effectively block citizens' groups from being able to use that medium. THAT is a free-speech issue, not an advertising issue.

turbo-1 said:
By couching their decision as a "free speech" issue the activists on the court have performed a slick sleight-of-hand which will let corporations block less-well-funded groups from the airwaves. Our little TV stations have a limited number of ad-slots that they can sell during the news and prime-time. The rest are held by the networks, who use them to hawk medications, cars, etc. Corporations can very easily buy ALL the slots held by the affiliates in news-hours and prime-time and effectively block citizens' groups from being able to use that medium. THAT is a free-speech issue, not an advertising issue.

IF you ever see this happen, let us know. Regardless, the ability to put up commercials is not a right. If someone is "grass-roots" and wants to put out a message and can't or won't pay for a commercial spot, then he/she will need to enroll his/her community into his/her cause. Pass out flyers, post articles on the net, put on events that will attract the media, etc.

It will happen and then it will be too late. SCOTUS has sabotaged participatory democracy with this activism. They had all kinds of options available to them, not just the nuclear one, but they chose the most severe "remedy" possible.

turbo-1 said:

perhaps grassroots=underpeopled. and perhaps they could do what everyone else has been doing, buy their own printing presses. buy your own news organizations and route around the old campaigning laws, just like Fox and the NYT.

turbo-1 said:

drankin said:
IF you ever see this happen, let us know. Regardless, the ability to put up commercials is not a right. If someone is "grass-roots" and wants to put out a message and can't or won't pay for a commercial spot, then he/she will need to enroll his/her community into his/her cause. Pass out flyers, post articles on the net, put on events that will attract the media, etc.

It can happen in small markets without good cable TV access. Presumably, satellite TV will eventually alleviate that in small markets, but I'm not sure how pervasive satellite TV is in rural markets.

There was a time when TV and radio had a "Fairness Doctrine" that ensured equal access to public airwaves (i.e. - a radio station or TV station couldn't own the frequencies they used. They used a public resource and owed an obligation to the public in return). If a TV station aired one point of view, they had to allow equal time to the opposing point of view (at their own cost if they couldn't find anyone willing to pay to present the opposing view). Ducking controversial issues wasn't an option, either. Providing equal access was just a cost of doing business (one that radio stations and TV stations didn't like, by the way).

With the advent of 100+ channel cable TV, the FCC decided the rules and regulations that made up the Fairness Doctrine were no longer necessary back in the late 80's. I'd say they were correct for over 90% of the population. There are still quite a few exceptions, even 20 years later.

Do you want to have some input as to how deer habitat and woodlands are managed? How about inland fisheries? How about the construction of wind-power farms and electrical transmission lines? Can one reasonably expect grass-roots citizen groups to purchase the apparatus of mass-media in order to compete with corporations on each and every issue? That's a ridiculous notion, and it flies in the face of common sense. The activists on the court knew exactly what they were doing with this decision. They are not idiots. They know exactly what kind of effect unbridled spending by corporations will have (especially in small states) and they gave the neo-cons exactly what they want. Chaos and undue influence in the 2010 elections.

BobG said:
With the advent of 100+ channel cable TV, the FCC decided the rules and regulations that made up the Fairness Doctrine were no longer necessary back in the late 80's. I'd say they were correct for over 90% of the population. There are still quite a few exceptions, even 20 years later.
Maine is very rural, with poor access to cable, and satellite TV is priced beyond the reach of most of our citizens, so broadcast TV is very important to us. Unfortunately, corporations can now block all citizens groups from the air-waves with a minimal investment. When you figure how much power 100 senators have, and that even sparsely-populated rural states like Maine have two, you can see what a ripe target our senatorial races will be. Olympia Snowe has come out firmly against the SCOTUS decision, and for good reason. As a moderate in the GOP, she is a prime target for the neo-cons.

turbo-1 said:
Do you want to have some input as to how deer habitat and woodlands are managed? How about inland fisheries? How about the construction of wind-power farms and electrical transmission lines? Can one reasonably expect grass-roots citizen groups to purchase the apparatus of mass-media in order to compete with corporations on each and every issue? That's a ridiculous notion, and it flies in the face of common sense. The activists on the court knew exactly what they were doing with this decision. They are not idiots. They know exactly what kind of effect unbridled spending by corporations will have (especially in small states) and they gave the neo-cons exactly what they want. Chaos and undue influence in the 2010 elections.

how much is it really going to cost you to start a blog/website/mailing list?

Proton Soup said:
how much is it really going to cost you to start a blog/website/mailing list?
And how do I manage to contact the older (and increasing older every year!) electorate? Unless Congress addresses the SCOTUS decision on campaign financing NOW, the electoral process in every small rural state will be absolutely ruined. You cannot contact people who are in their 50's to 80's with email. They are not hooked up. They have broadcast TV. SCOTUS has done an end-run around participatory democracy to benefit the neo-cons, and it will not stop there. We are headed into fascism with no clear ways to stop that unless the Democrats either grow a pair or find their spines.

turbo-1 said:
And how do I manage to contact the older (and increasing older every year!) electorate? Unless Congress addresses the SCOTUS decision on campaign financing NOW, the electoral process in every small rural state will be absolutely ruined. You cannot contact people who are in their 50's to 80's with email. They are not hooked up. They have broadcast TV. SCOTUS has done an end-run around participatory democracy to benefit the neo-cons, and it will not stop there. We are headed into fascism with no clear ways to stop that unless the Democrats either grow a pair or find their spines.

Are there no Democrat run corporations? Are corporations only Republican? Are those in their 50's to 80's going to vote only Republican because of corporate endorsements? Are you going to give them some credit with the ability to discern BS?

And they do have mailboxes you know.

turbo-1 said:

be creative. and remember, you're wanting to do the exact same thing you think the corps are doing, "subvert democracy".

drankin said:
Are there no Democrat run corporations? Are corporations only Republican? Are those in their 50's to 80's going to vote only Republican because of corporate endorsements? Are you going to give them some credit with the ability to discern BS?

And they do have mailboxes you know.
Mass media is effective and cheap. Direct-mailings are very expensive and relatively ineffective. I'm sure that you already know this, but are playing the neo-con card. That's OK as long as other PF members have a clue about where you are coming from. Older voters in Maine get their information from radio and TV, and as long as corporations can dominate that, they will be lied to and votes will be bought, just like the activists on the SC intended.

turbo-1 said:
...if the fiction of "Corporation=Person" is allowed to stand...
Can you provide any evidence that anyone even so much as made any argument for or against "Corporation=Person" in this case? Or that the issue was addressed in any way by the court? It is your claims that are complete fiction here.

And you contradict yourself: You are insisting on the "corporation=person fiction" by your own sentences.

For example, you said "Corporations commit crimes" instead of "people use corporations as tools to commit crimes". While both may accurately describe the same criminal act, the first sentence attributes personhood to the corporation while the second does not.

Eliminating the legal concept of corporate personhood would eliminate any and all ability of government to hold any corporation responsible for any act ever.

If this isn't obvious, I would suggest a little research into corporate personhood.

turbo-1 said:

Corporations give about 50/50 between Democrats and Republicans. You seem to think all corporations give only to Republicans, this is not so (unions tend to give mostly to Democrats, however).

There is nothing activist about favoring free speech. Free speech is free speech. If one finds things wrong with the written law, then the job is to change the law itself. The Court's job is to interpret the law as is.

And I would not say we are not headed towards fascism. Fascism is what leftists inadverdently lead a nation into by trying to regulate industry in the name of "protecting" the people. This leads to Big Business then becoming very friendly with all the different regulatory agencies set up to regulate them and increased regulations which allow Big Business to dominate the economy.

Not that regulation isn't needed, but it must be light and efficient.

We were far closer to fascism back in the 1940s, 50s, 60s, 70s, when the American economy was dominated by massive corporations and unions. Today, big corporations and unions hold far less power than they used to.

Al68 said:
Eliminating the legal concept of corporate personhood would eliminate any and all ability of government to hold any corporation responsible for any act ever.

It would do worse than that. Our economy would come crashing to a halt if investors were held personally liable for things the corporation they invested in did. And that pertains to more than criminal acts. Who should pay the retirement and medical benefits of former GM employees if the company goes out of business?

That's why I was wondering what you were getting at several posts back. Corporations socialize the risks of business while keeping the profits private. It could be legitimately argued that there are some bad sides to the idea of corporations. Of course, there's good sides, too, in that reducing risk makes it easier to start businesses, which is good for the economy.

Regardless, corporations have been given a limited "personhood" status for longer than the country has existed and reversing it now would be a very bad thing. You would essentially steal the future from most of your middle class.

The idea of common law, respecting prior court decisions, is that sometimes being able to count on a certain status quo, whether bad or good, is better than the chaos that change would cause.

But, yes, I can't see much advantage to expanding the definition of corporate "personhood" any more than its current status. I thought Stevens had some good points in his dissent.

I still think it's probably a good decision. It was a legitimate 5-4 decision in that really were good points on either side of the argument.

I don't know that it changes much. Perhaps it will push lawmakers to enact campaign reform.

The biggest argument against is the role of foreign corporations influencing American politics. But heck, Sun Myung Moon bought the Washington Times and became the voice of the Neo-Cons. His papers op-eds to this day set the political agenda of the right.

BobG said:
It would do worse than that. Our economy would come crashing to a halt if investors were held personally liable for things the corporation they invested in did. And that pertains to more than criminal acts. Who should pay the retirement and medical benefits of former GM employees if the company goes out of business?

That's why I was wondering what you were getting at several posts back.
Yeah, I was pointing out that the concept of corporate personhood, as recognized in reality, is very different from what some obviously believe. And, as you point out, stockholders aren't personally liable for the debts of a corporation that goes out of business. But every creditor and employee knows that ahead of time, so that's not a big issue. Even without personhood a company's owners could legally arrange for that, anyway, by simply including a clause in the respective loan and employment agreements in which creditors and employees agree to cancel the debt in case of company failure.

The other issue with limited liability is that the stockholders aren't responsible for any wrongful act judgments against an out of business corporation, so unless a stockholder is sued personally for a wrongful act, he only loses his investment, and a company could not contractually arrange for that without corporate personhood. But I think most people consider this fair enough, since limited liability doesn't prevent anyone from suing a stockholder personally for a wrongful act, if the act was personally committed by the stockholder.
It could be legitimately argued that there are some bad sides to the idea of corporations.
There are disadvantages for sure.
But, yes, I can't see much advantage to expanding the definition of corporate "personhood" any more than its current status.
I agree, but I would note that in this case, neither side objected to corporate personhood, which was my point.

Some people take the concept of personhood way too far, so far that they completely forget that wrongful acts or crimes, while they can be attributed to corporations for legal purposes using the "personhood" doctrine, are all actually committed by real humans using a corporation as a tool.

...Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests -- including foreign corporations -- to spend without limit in our elections. Well, I don't think American elections should be bankrolled by America's most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities. They should be decided by the American people, and that's why I'm urging Democrats and Republicans to pass a bill that helps to right this wrong...
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/01/28/us/politics/AP-US-Obama-State-of-the-Union-Text.html?pagewanted=6&_r=1

Once again I see that Obama is keeping up with us. Smart man.

Judge Alito was objecting [mouthing "not true!"]. Is he so buried in his philosophy that he can't see there is an imminent threat to our system of government [if it's not too late already]?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/01/28/us/politics/AP-US-Obama-State-of-the-Union-Text.html?pagewanted=6&_r=1

Judge Alito was objecting [mouthing "not true!"]. Is he so buried in his philosophy that he can't see there is an imminent threat to our system of government [if it's not too late already]?

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/07/04/050704fa_fact

“We have a dozen people in his”—Clinton’s—“headquarters . . . and they are all going to get big jobs,” Steiner said. Soon after the tape’s existence was disclosed, Steiner resigned his post. I asked Rosen if aipac suffered a loss of influence after the Steiner affair. A half smile appeared on his face, and he pushed a napkin across the table. “You see this napkin?” he said. “In twenty-four hours, we could have the signatures of seventy senators on this napkin.”

Ivan Seeking said:
Two things are obvious from this ruling's responses:

1. Alito and the majority of the court obviously recognize the threat you refer to and believe it is greatly outweighed by the threat of government suppressing political speech.

2. Obama, and others that disagree, are oblivious, or pretend to be oblivious to the threat from government suppressing political speech, like they have their head in the sand. They should change their mascot from donkey to ostrich.

Ivan Seeking said:
...Last week, the Supreme Court reversed a century of law to open the floodgates for special interests -- including foreign corporations -- to spend without limit in our elections. Well, I don't think American elections should be bankrolled by America's most powerful interests, or worse, by foreign entities. They should be decided by the American people, and that's why I'm urging Democrats and Republicans to pass a bill that helps to right this wrong...

The problem is that Alito's "not true" could be considered more accurate than Obama's "reversed a century of law".

The true story is that the latest SCOTUS decision is another dent in a century of unsuccessful campaign reform.

It is true that people have been decrying corporate influence ever Teddy Roosevelt bankrolled his re-election campaign with corporate contributions, or, as Daniel Lamont, a former aide to Democratic President Grover Cleveland, bluntly told Roosevelt's opponent, his candidacy was doomed because corporations "have underwritten Roosevelt’s election just as they would underwrite the construction of a railroad to San Francisco.”

It's also true that Roosevelt spent his first term breaking up monopolies such as the Northern Securities Company and intervened in labor-business disputes prior to hitting up corporations for massive campaign contributions. It's also true that Roosevelt reverted to attacking big business as soon as the election was over, or, as steel baron Henry Clay Frick complained, "We bought the son of a *****, and then he did not stay bought."

The century since then has been spent trying unsuccessfully to find ways to keep corporate money out of elections. A timeline from NPR: A Century Of U.S. Campaign Finance Law

So, yes, there's been a century's worth of laws and regulations attempting to limit corporate money in elections and the latest decision is a reversal. It's just that every law has had its own reversal, either via loophole or court decision. Progress hasn't really been reversed if nothing has ever really changed in the first place.

BobG said:
The true story is that the latest SCOTUS decision is another dent in a century of unsuccessful campaign reform.
It seems to me that existing lawmakers exercising their power in any way to affect the "campaign financing" of candidates trying to get elected to that same job is inherently corrupt.

And it's corrupt in a way that precludes calling the result of the election "democratic".

Why in the world would anyone claim it's "reform" for those in power to control the campaigns of those seeking power? Is the contradiction not obvious?

turbo-1 said:

drankin said:

So, is drankin right? That this whole thing is really an advertising issue - something that surely falls under Congress's right to regulate interstate commerce and this shouldn't have been something considered by the SCOTUS in the first place?

Is free speech limited to message content - having the right to present whatever message you want - and finding a way to present your message is your problem? I.e. - the media for presenting messages can be regulated the same as traffic on a public road can be regulated.

Or, is the ability to buy advertising the same as free speech itself?

At what point does speech turn into action and can actions be protected under the guise of "protecting free speech"?

And is this latest Supreme Court decision the start of a new Lochner era, except in the realm of free speech instead of property? (The Lochner decision started a string of Supreme Court decisions striking down labor laws on safety, minimum wage, maximum hours, etc with the decisions based on property rights.)

Last edited:
Obama was http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache...+political+process.&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us" about the foreign corporations aspect. The court went out of its way to leave the law on foreign influences alone.
Justice Kennedy said:
“We need not reach the question whether the Government has a compelling interest in preventing foreign individuals or associations from influencing our Nation’s political process.”

The "free speech" argument that SCOTUS activists used is absolutely bogus. Not a single officer, board member, employee, or investor of a corporation was denied his or her rights to speak, support candidates, donate money, vote, etc by campaign finance reform. The corporations simply didn't have the right to swamp our air-waves with their propaganda and skew our elections - and now they do.

The justices knew exactly what they were doing - legislating from the bench. To do so, they had to toss out many years of precedent. Once again "neo-conservatives" have proven not to be conservative in the least. They have a radical agenda that will drive our country from oligarchy to outright facism. Corporations already have obscene amounts of control over our government behind the scenes, and now it will get worse.

As an example, there is a very lively debate going on in Maine between organic farmers and larger farming operations that use GMO crops. It is widely acknowledged (even by the GMO guys) that the organic farmers are protecting and perpetuating the diversity of food crops, including heirloom varieties of tomatoes, squash, apples, etc, etc. If there is to be a referendum on set-backs that would protect organic crops (including valuable seed crops) from contamination by GMO crops, what would happen? Monsanto will jump right in and buy up all the available ad-time in news-hours and prime-time in our tiny broadcast TV market, and the organic growers will not be able to get their message out. "Free speech" to the people with the deep pockets - no access to the media for small farmers that don't have a lot of money.

Monsanto wants everyone to have to buy their seed from them, regardless of the damage to genetic diversity. We have a couple of thriving seed businesses in Central Maine - the larger one is Johnny's Selected Seeds, and they offer both GMO and organic seeds. To get the organic seeds, they rely on a smaller seed company called FedCo that buys all of its seed stock, nursery stock, etc from organic farmers - mostly locals. Monsanto could utterly ruin the smaller seed company, and badly damage the larger one, limiting the varieties of seeds they have access to.

mheslep said:
Obama was http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache...+political+process.&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us" about the foreign corporations aspect. The court went out of its way to leave the law on foreign influences alone.

Your statement is more wrong than Obama's! In fact, the site you referenced disagrees with you. They categorized Obama's statement as "Barely True" - not "Wrong" or "False".

Personally, I'd be more inclined to say "Who knows?" than "Barely True". A US corporation that winds up being owned primarily by foreigners falls into a grey area.

I think a corporation run by foreigners couldn't contribute, though. And I'm not even sure how much it matters what nationality the stockholders are - unless a few really rich stockholders from the same country take control of a corporation and hire Americans to run the corporation for them. While I think it's unlikely, there could possibly be some problems. Enough that foreigners taking over one corporation would outweigh all the other corporations that might contribute? Probably not.

In other words, Obama's statement might be theoretically true. It's probably something that won't be a problem in practice.

Look at who owns Anheuser-Busch. Should Belgians and Brazilians be able to skew legal initiatives regarding the production, importation and sale of alcoholic beverages in the US?

Last edited:
BobG said:
Your statement is more wrong than Obama's! In fact, the site you referenced disagrees with you. They categorized Obama's statement as "Barely True" - not "Wrong" or "False".
No, read again. I referred only to the foreign influences aspect. The law of the land is that foreign individuals are prohibited from contributing to campaigns and that law still stands.