Space and time. What I dont know but would like to

In summary, the main thing to take away from this conversation is that time on the ground floor of a tall building is slower than time on the top floor. Other things that were discussed include the big bang, antimatter, dark matter, the theory of relativity, and general stuff about time.
Fiction
Over the last few weeks I have learned some stuff about time and space etc.
I'm not entirely sure I understand it all.
The main thing being that time on the ground floor of a tall building is slower than time on the top floor?

A few other things that I have questions about are.
The big bang
Antimatter
Dark Matter
How/Why the universe is expanding
If it will start shrinking after it stops expanding
If it does start to shrink will it be due to gravity?
The theory of relavity
Also, general stuff about time.

I'm not too 'in the know' on stuff.
Simple explanations of complicated things would be nice. I would like perespective

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
I second what Naty1 said, but in my opinion books are much more user-friendly than the internet. I try to not use Wikipedia for learning anything but the most basic stuff. Flipping pages, seeing the stuff you are interested in and reading it, and then if you need something, just get the book and look for it... in the same time seeing more interesing stuff and... Anyway, 'nuff lyrics, just find some good books in Amazon, or in your local bookstore :) My personal favorite is "The Trouble with Physics" by Lee Smolin. For starters, if you know what's good for you, find the books with the least number of equations possible, because... equations just freak you out and they don't really help you understand anything...

Related to Space and time. What I dont know but would like to

What is the concept of space and time?

The concept of space and time refers to the physical dimensions in which all objects and events exist and occur. Space is the three-dimensional extent in which objects and events are located, while time is the measurement of the duration between events.

How does space and time affect the universe?

Space and time are fundamental aspects of the universe and are closely intertwined. The fabric of space and time is affected by the presence of mass and energy, which in turn affects the motion of objects and the passage of time.

What is the theory of relativity and how does it relate to space and time?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, is a scientific theory that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This theory also explains how the presence of mass and energy can distort the fabric of space and time.

Can space and time be manipulated or changed?

According to the theory of relativity, space and time are not fixed and can be influenced by the presence of mass and energy. In fact, modern technology and scientific advancements have allowed us to manipulate time to some extent, such as through time dilation experiments on fast-moving objects.

What are some current unanswered questions about space and time?

There are many unanswered questions about space and time that continue to intrigue scientists. Some of these include the nature of black holes and their relationship to time, the possibility of time travel, and the true nature of the fabric of spacetime.