The Derivative Nature of Time and Its Relation to Earth's Rotation and Speed

In summary, time is a dimension that is modeled as a fourth dimension. Clocks measure displacement in the timelike dimension.
robphy said:
My answer suggested in #16 is probably too abstract.
Uh ... you think? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
sumfor said:
Space is the area between the walls of my room and between the objects contained within it. It's filled with air and has a particular volume.
What if you removed all air in your room?

How do you measure the, say, distance between your walls? Just by looking at them? Then it revolves around some physical dynamical process (traveling of light and neuroprocesses in your brain). Measuring with a ruler? You have to go and get a ruler and fiddle with it and then you have to look at the ruler...
One can not separate space from time that easily. I am looking at a chair in front of me "now" and see a door further back. But the light from the door has to travel a longer distance to my eyes than the light from the chair and therefore I see the door from an "earlier" time than what I see the chair.

Likes Dale and dextercioby
malawi_glenn said:
How do you measure the, say, distance between your walls? Just by looking at them?

Then you see only light, not the walls.

• Wow
Likes malawi_glenn
As the OP has clearly demonstrated that they are only here to push their own personal viewpoint and not learn the standard approach this thread is closed. We can discuss the OP’s views when they are published in the professional scientific literature.

Likes phinds and berkeman