Sonoluminescence experiment help

In summary, the acoustical resonance they got was around "25.5kHz and another at 25.1kHz at room temperature". Mine was around 25.18kHz, which is really close to what they got. They suggest varying the output, which I did.
linnus
I am trying to do a sonoluminescence experiment. The instructions are from this site: http://www.techmind.org/sl/. I have everything set up today, but I think my way of making the bubble is wrong. From the description of the site, it seems like when you make the bubble it should easily go to the center of the flask, which did not happen in my case. My resonance frequency was about 25.18 kHz. I can get a max of about 10 V output from the mic, but I kept it at about 4 V since that is where the bubble will "light up" and stay in the center. I was wondering if anyone that has experience with this can give me some advice on how to make th bubble. I used a plastic pipette (the disposable kind), and it doesn't seem to work every well.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to vary the output, you said that you kept it at about 4 Volts, well your set-up will be different then the one on that page so your power and/or frequency will be different.
Also one very inportant note on that page "Patience was essential"
Good luck!
Please let us know how it works out, Pictures if you can.

The acoustic resonance that they got was around "25.5kHz and another at 25.1kHz at room temperature". Mine was around 25.18kHz, which is really close to what they got. I did vary the voltage a bit after 4 volts was not working out for me, but I didn't change it that much. I'll play with it a bit more. The problem here is that from the descriptions, it sounds like the bubble flows toward the center easily, which isn't happening in my case. I was wondering if I was doing it right because if you use a pipette to make bubbles, it will also create a current inside the vessel (flask). Anyways thanks for your advice! I'll try to play with it a bit more and post pictures if I am successful.

Related to Sonoluminescence experiment help

What is sonoluminescence?

Sonoluminescence is a phenomenon in which sound waves are used to create light. It occurs when a gas bubble in a liquid is rapidly collapsed by sound waves, creating a tiny, short-lived flash of light.

How is sonoluminescence studied in a laboratory?

In a sonoluminescence experiment, a small gas bubble is trapped in a liquid inside a container. Sound waves are then directed at the bubble, causing it to oscillate and collapse repeatedly. The light emitted during these collapses is measured and studied.

What is the purpose of studying sonoluminescence?

Sonoluminescence is a unique phenomenon that has potential applications in fields such as energy production, medical imaging, and materials science. Studying it can help us better understand the physics behind it and potentially harness it for practical use.

What are the challenges in conducting a sonoluminescence experiment?

One of the main challenges is creating and maintaining a stable gas bubble in the liquid. The sound waves must also be precisely controlled to achieve the desired collapse and light emission. Additionally, the equipment used must be carefully calibrated and controlled to ensure accurate measurements.

What are some recent developments in sonoluminescence research?

Recent research has focused on understanding the mechanisms behind sonoluminescence and finding ways to control and enhance the phenomenon. Some studies have also explored the potential use of sonoluminescence in energy production and medical applications.