Effect of air bubbles in a paste when subjected to spinning

In summary, the expert summarizer notes that vacuum can suck the air out of a tube of paste, but the paste's high viscosity makes it difficult to remove the air. They propose spinning the tube in order to create a cylindrical area of gaseous air inside the tube. If this theory is correct, the air would end up at the center of the centrifuge. The expert also notes that testing this theory is easy, but warns readers about the dangers of self-built centrifuges.
boneh3ad said:
I suppose as long as by "bouncing" you mean letting it fall, then picking it back up and dropping it. Otherwise I'd think the acceleration bouncing back up would at least partially undo your progress.
Yes, I thought about that and then thought of having a line of these containers falling down a long flight of shallow steps. Judging by the image of the container, the plunger would need to be supported though. I can't help but wonder if the plunger being supported or not would have any effect on impact.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rumborak said:
- Get an intern with a syringe who removes all the bubbles manually
We love interns! As a matter of fact, we have one here right now.

gery katona said:
I can't say how likely it would be for separation of the constituent parts would be. The material is thicker than toothpaste for sure and would be more conducive to staying together I guess.
I think the issue here is that, whatever amount of force is enough to extract bubbles from the viscous paste, may equally be enough to separate out its ingredients.

No matter though. Easily correctable. I suggest that you add a post-de-bubble final mixing step into your procedure. But it will have to mix gently enough so as not to fold air back in, or you will be right back in the same boat.

DaveC426913 said:
I think the issue here is that, whatever amount of force is enough to extract bubbles from the viscous paste, may equally be enough to separate out its ingredients

That would depend on the relative density of the bubbles versus the particles. If the particles are much more dense it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd rather stop problems at their source. Extract samples along the process. Examine each for gas bubble contaminates. Establish a measure. Change the process where the greatest contamination occurred.

Maybe the majority of the problem is due to the ancient seal on the hand pump used to get part A out of the drum. Maybe it occurs in the mixer when the first 500 milliliters are also mixing with air, and this fraction should be discarded.

DaveC426913 said:
I think the issue here is that, whatever amount of force is enough to extract bubbles from the viscous paste, may equally be enough to separate out its ingredients.

No matter though. Easily correctable. I suggest that you add a post-de-bubble final mixing step into your procedure. But it will have to mix gently enough so as not to fold air back in, or you will be right back in the same boat.
Yes, that may be needed. The problem is it is mixed in a separate bowl mixer and the transfer process to cartridge is where the gets introduced.

stedwards said:
I'd rather stop problems at their source. Extract samples along the process. Examine each for gas bubble contaminates. Establish a measure. Change the process where the greatest contamination occurred.

Maybe the majority of the problem is due to the ancient seal on the hand pump used to get part A out of the drum. Maybe it occurs in the mixer when the first 500 milliliters are also mixing with air, and this fraction should be discarded.

Understood and agreed. The problem thus far has been controlling a number of points along the process that are potential problems. It is compounded by the fact you can't visually see the air in the material since it is a paste and not transparent. One of those points that has thus far been uncontrollable is the very beginning when the material is first dispensed into the cartridge. Even with the piston all the way up, there is air surrounding the crown due to its design. As the material is introduced through the top, it automatically traps air that is around the crown which cannot be avoided. this is just one example of several things that have been uncontrollable, thus we have been focusing on removing the air afterwards even thought it is an extra step(s) in the process.

Attachments

• DSCN1804.JPG
    DSCN1804.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 404
So much for my attempt to think out of the box. But there is one thing. Since you are finding bubbles at the end of the process, could a similar method be used within to process to test samples?

You're mixing a powder into a fluid, right?

Since the bubbles are mostly invisible, we can't see them during the process. Only after injecting the material into a mold, curing it, and opening the mold do we see the result. That of course is the worst time to find them. Maybe some kind of x-ray system like an airport scanner could see into the material, I don't know. Even the step of extracting the mixing blades out of the material can leave air pockets which can get trapped when the material folds over it. Yes, there are several powders used and the mixing is done under vacuum which probably removes all air in the mix, but then it has to get handled to dispense it into the cartridge. It is in those process steps where air finds its way in.