Some more logarithm stuff giving me trouble

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
In summary: Thank you.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of y = 2^(sin x), with the attempt at a solution using the chain rule. The book's rule for a^x derivative is mentioned, but the book's answer for the specific problem is incorrect. The correct answer, according to the conversation, is 2^(sin x)ln(2)cos(x). Mathway is also mentioned, with a screenshot showing that it gives the incorrect answer as well. The conversation concludes with the confirmation that the derivative of 2^(sin x) is indeed 2^(sin x)ln(2)cos(x), and the missing cos(x) in mathway's answer is pointed out.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

y = 2^(sin x)

Find derivative.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]y = 2^{sin x}[/itex]
[itex]ln y = ln (2^{sin x})[/itex]
[itex]ln y = sin x ln(2)[/itex]
[itex]y' = [ln(2)] (cos x) (2^{sin x})[/itex]

Yet, according to some rule in the book:

a^x derivative is ln a times a^x, or in this case ln(2)2^(sin x)

But usually these rules don't conflict with other valid ways of coming to the answer. Wolfram shows me my answer, mathway shows me the book's answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have is correct. Remember, you need to use the chain rule.

[tex]{{d}\over{dx}}\left( a^{f(x)} \right) = ln(a)a^{f(x)}f'(x)[/tex]

just as if it were something simpler like [itex]y = e^{x^2}[/itex]

Thank you, I was getting frustrated. Another textbook error, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

1MileCrash said:
Thank you, I was getting frustrated. Another textbook error, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

I think you are mis-interpreting what the book said. According to you, the book said (d/dx) a^x = ln(a) * a^x, and that is perfectly true. However, your question was different. Are you saying that the book's answer for this specific problem, (d/dx) 2^(sin(x)) is wrong? Of course, books DO make mistakes, but I cannot figure out from what you said whether that is the case here, or not.

RGV

1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

y = 2^(sin x)

Find derivative.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]y = 2^{sin x}[/itex]
[itex]ln y = ln (2^{sin x})[/itex]
[itex]ln y = sin x ln(2)[/itex]
[itex]y' = [ln(2)] (cos x) (2^{sin x})[/itex]

Yet, according to some rule in the book:

a^x derivative is ln a times a^x, or in this case ln(2)2^(sin x)
No, in this case, ln(2)2^(sin x) times the derivative of sin(x) so the derivative is ln(2)2^(sin(x))cos(x) exactly as you have.

But usually these rules don't conflict with other valid ways of coming to the answer. Wolfram shows me my answer, mathway shows me the book's answer.

Ray Vickson said:
I think you are mis-interpreting what the book said. According to you, the book said (d/dx) a^x = ln(a) * a^x, and that is perfectly true. However, your question was different. Are you saying that the book's answer for this specific problem, (d/dx) 2^(sin(x)) is wrong? Of course, books DO make mistakes, but I cannot figure out from what you said whether that is the case here, or not.

RGV

I'm sorry, I meant both actually.

The book referenced the "box" where that rule was written (right above, on the same page) and then explicitly wrote the answer as n(2)2^(sin x) in accordance with that rule.

I understand the rule is true, but it doesn't nullify the chain rule if I have some function for the exponent. That's what I gathered from the book's example, and that's what was the source of my frustration.

As for mathway...

[PLAIN]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1599/mathwaywrong.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Then mathway is wrong. The derivative of [itex]2^{sin(x)}[/itex] is [itex]2^{sin(x)}ln(2)cos(x)[/itex]. The cos(x), the derivative of sin(x), is missing from what you show.

HallsofIvy said:
Then mathway is wrong. The derivative of [itex]2^{sin(x)}[/itex] is [itex]2^{sin(x)}ln(2)cos(x)[/itex]. The cos(x), the derivative of sin(x), is missing from what you show.

Yes, this has been established.

Related to Some more logarithm stuff giving me trouble

1. What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of exponentiation. It is used to solve equations where the unknown variable appears as an exponent.

2. How do I solve logarithmic equations?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use the definition of logarithms to rewrite the equation as an exponential equation. Then, solve for the unknown variable by using exponent rules.

3. What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

Natural logarithms use the base e, which is approximately 2.71828, while common logarithms use the base 10. Natural logarithms are often used in mathematical and scientific calculations, while common logarithms are used in everyday calculations.

4. Can logarithms be negative?

No, logarithms cannot be negative. The domain of logarithmic functions is restricted to positive real numbers.

5. How are logarithms used in real life?

Logarithms are used in various fields, such as science, engineering, economics, and finance. They can be used to model exponential growth and decay, measure the loudness of sound, and calculate the pH of a solution.