Some calculus exercises doubts

In summary, calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with continuous change and is important in understanding and describing complex systems in various fields. Some common applications of calculus include optimization, rates of change, and finding area and volume. When solving calculus exercises, it is important to carefully read and understand the question and choose the appropriate method based on the given information. Tips for solving calculus exercises include understanding concepts, practicing regularly, breaking down problems, and seeking help if needed. To improve understanding of calculus, one can read textbooks, watch lectures, practice solving exercises, collaborate with others, and seek help from a teacher or tutor.
Taturana

Homework Statement

Problem 1
Find the equation of the tangent line on the following points of the curve.
[itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{x - a}, a \in \mathbb{R} - \left \{ -2; 4 \} \right; x = -2, x = 4[/itex]

Problem 2
Find the equation of the line normal to the tangent line on the following points of the curve.
[itex]f(x) = x^{2} - 1; x = 0[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem 1
[PLAIN]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4021/giflatex2.gif

As you can see my solution is completely wrong ;(
Problem 2
[PLAIN]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4265/giflatex3.gif

It will give a division by zero, what's going on here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Taturana said:

Homework Statement

Problem 1
Find the equation of the tangent line on the following points of the curve.
[itex]f(x) = \frac{1}{x - a}, a \in \mathbb{R} - \left \{ -2; 4 \} \right; x = -2, x = 4[/itex]

Problem 2
Find the equation of the line normal to the tangent line on the following points of the curve.
[itex]f(x) = x^{2} - 1; x = 0[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem 1
[PLAIN]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4021/giflatex2.gif

As you can see my solution is completely wrong ;(

Problem 2
[PLAIN]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/4265/giflatex3.gif

It will give a division by zero, what's going on here?
Evaluate your function and its derivative, and then use the values in your formulas. For #2, since f'(x) = 2x, then f'(0) = 0. This says that the tangent line is horizontal when x = 0 (i.e., at (0, 0). What does this say about the normal to the curve at this point?

Last edited by a moderator:
In problem 1, you simply forgot to substitute x=-2 in when you wrote in the expression for f'(-2) in the equation of the line.

In problem 2, you found the slope of the tangent to be given by f'(x)=2x. At x=0, you get f'(x)=0, which means the tangent line is horizontal. The normal, therefore, will be vertical. Vertical lines do not have a finite slope, so you can't use the point-slope formula for a line.

For #1, evaluate f(-2) and f'(-2) before trying to find the equation of the tangent line. My answer agrees with the book's answer that you posted.

Mark44 said:
Evaluate your function and its derivative, and then use the values in your formulas. For #2, since f'(x) = 2x, then f'(0) = 0. This says that the tangent line is horizontal when x = 0 (i.e., at (0, 0). What does this say about the normal to the curve at this point?

vela said:
In problem 1, you simply forgot to substitute x=-2 in when you wrote in the expression for f'(-2) in the equation of the line.

In problem 2, you found the slope of the tangent to be given by f'(x)=2x. At x=0, you get f'(x)=0, which means the tangent line is horizontal. The normal, therefore, will be vertical. Vertical lines do not have a finite slope, so you can't use the point-slope formula for a line.

Mark44 said:
For #1, evaluate f(-2) and f'(-2) before trying to find the equation of the tangent line. My answer agrees with the book's answer that you posted.

Thank you for the answers, that helped me alot, now it works... =D

Just another question: how do I know when do I have to use the chain rule? There's any easy way of visualize it or is it just practice?

Use the chain rule whenever you are differentiating a composite function. The chain rule actually comes into play in your first problem, but because the derivative of x - a is 1, the contribution from the chain rule isn't noticeable.

If you had f(x) = 1/(2x - a) = (2x - a)-1, then f'(x) = -1(2x - a)-2 * 2 = -2/(2x - a)2. The 2 that appears in the numerator of the last expression comes from the use of the chain rule, and is the derivative of 2x - a.

Mark44 said:
Use the chain rule whenever you are differentiating a composite function. The chain rule actually comes into play in your first problem, but because the derivative of x - a is 1, the contribution from the chain rule isn't noticeable.

If you had f(x) = 1/(2x - a) = (2x - a)-1, then f'(x) = -1(2x - a)-2 * 2 = -2/(2x - a)2. The 2 that appears in the numerator of the last expression comes from the use of the chain rule, and is the derivative of 2x - a.

Thank you but I have another doubt (I think its not necessary to open another thread).

suppose:

[tex]f(x) = x(3x-5)[/tex]

I need to use the chain rule here, right?

[tex]f(x) = x u[/tex]
[tex]u = 3x -5[/tex]
[tex]\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{du} \frac{du}{dx}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{df}{du} = x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{du}{dx} = 3[/tex]
[tex]\frac{df}{dx} = 3x[/tex]

I know that is not right, but why?

Taturana said:
Thank you but I have another doubt (I think its not necessary to open another thread).
You have another question, not a doubt. You have a doubt about something when you think you know what it is, but you aren't sure.

And yes, you should start a new thread when you have a new problem.
Taturana said:
suppose:

[tex]f(x) = x(3x-5)[/tex]

I need to use the chain rule here, right?
No. This is a product, not a composition, so you should use the product rule.
Taturana said:
[tex]f(x) = x u[/tex]
[tex]u = 3x -5[/tex]
[tex]\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{df}{du} \frac{du}{dx}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{df}{du} = x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{du}{dx} = 3[/tex]
[tex]\frac{df}{dx} = 3x[/tex]

I know that is not right, but why?

Here it is using the product rule.
f'(x) = x * d/dx(3x - 5) + (3x - 5) * d/dx(x)
= x * 3 + (3x - 5) * 1
= 3x + 3x -5 = 6x - 5.

As a check, f(x) = 3x2 - 5x, so f'(x) = 6x - 5.

Related to Some calculus exercises doubts

1. What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It is important because it provides us with tools to understand and describe the behavior of complex systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It also helps in solving real-world problems and making predictions.

2. What are some common applications of calculus?

Some common applications of calculus include optimization, rates of change, and finding area and volume. It is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to understand and analyze complex systems and make predictions.

3. How do I know which method to use when solving calculus exercises?

There are several methods in calculus such as differentiation, integration, and limits. The best way to know which method to use is to carefully read and understand the question, identify the variables and their relationships, and then choose the appropriate method based on the type of problem and the given information.

4. What are some tips for solving calculus exercises?

Here are some tips for solving calculus exercises: - Understand the concepts and definitions thoroughly.- Practice regularly and solve different types of exercises.- Break down the problem into smaller, manageable steps.- Check your solution for errors and make sure it makes sense.- Seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. How can I improve my understanding of calculus?

To improve your understanding of calculus, you can:- Read textbooks and online resources to learn the concepts and definitions.- Watch online lectures or attend classes to see examples and explanations.- Practice solving exercises and challenging yourself with different types of problems.- Collaborate with classmates or join a study group to discuss and learn from each other.- Seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.