Solving y' and y'' for y=1/x²: How to Equal Zero?

• MHB
  • Thread starter markosheehan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Zero
In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the expression y d²y/dx² +(dy/dx)² -10y³=0 can be simplified to equal zero if y=1/x². The conversation mentions how to find the values of y' and y'' and how to substitute them in the expression. It is noted that there is a typo in the expression, as it should be y³ instead of y3.
markosheehan
if y=1/x² show that y d²y/dx² +(dy/dx)² -10y³=0

i can work out y′=-2x^-3 and y″=6x^-4 but when i sub these in i can't make the whole expression equal zero

Physics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
if y=1/x² show that y d²y/dx² +(dy/dx)² -10y³=0

i can work out y′=-2x^-3 and y″=6x^-4 but when i sub these in i can't make the whole expression equal zero

Note that $y\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \left(\dfrac{1}{x^2}\right)\left(\dfrac{6}{x^4}\right)$, and that

$\left(\dfrac{dy}{dx}\right)^2 = \left(\dfrac{-2}{x^3}\right)^2 = \dfrac{4}{x^6}$,

while $10y^3 = 10\left(\dfrac{1}{x^2}\right)^3 = \dfrac{10}{(x^2)^3}$. Does this help?

markosheehan said:
if [tex]y=\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]
show that: [TEX] y \frac{d^2y}{dx^2} + \left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2 -10y^{\color{red}3} \;=\;0 [/TEX]

i can work out [tex]y′=-2x^{-3}[/tex] and [tex]y″=6x^{-4}[/tex]
but when i sub these in i can't make the whole expression equal zero

There is a typo . . . it should be [tex]y-\text{cubed}[/tex]

Related to Solving y' and y'' for y=1/x²: How to Equal Zero?

1. What is the process for solving y' and y'' for y=1/x² when it equals zero?

The first step is to rewrite the equation as y=1x^-2. Then, take the derivative of y to find y' by using the rule for power functions, which is y'=n • x^(n-1). In this case, n=-2, so y'=-2x^-3. Next, take the derivative of y' to find y'' by using the same rule. This time, n=-3, so y''=6x^-4. Finally, set both y' and y'' equal to zero and solve for x. The solutions will be the values of x where y' and y'' are equal to zero for the given equation.

2. Why is it important to solve for y' and y'' when y=1/x² equals zero?

Solving for y' and y'' allows us to find the critical points of the function, which are the points where the slope and concavity change. These critical points can help us understand the behavior of the graph and determine the maximum, minimum, and inflection points of the function.

3. Are there any special cases to consider when solving y' and y'' for y=1/x²?

Yes, since the given equation involves a power function with a negative exponent, it is important to check for any potential asymptotes. In this case, the function has a vertical asymptote at x=0, which is where the denominator of the fraction becomes zero.

4. Can y' and y'' ever be undefined when y=1/x² equals zero?

Yes, if the derivative of y' or y'' involves dividing by zero, then the derivative will be undefined. This can occur when x=0, which is why it is important to check for asymptotes and potential division by zero when solving for y' and y''.

5. How can solving for y' and y'' help in solving other problems involving y=1/x²?

Knowing the values of y' and y'' at critical points can help in graphing the function and understanding its behavior. It can also be useful in finding the maximum or minimum values of the function and determining the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing. Additionally, it can be used to find the rate of change and acceleration of the function at specific points.