Solving Volume with the Disk Method: Graph & Tips

• Thread starter Princeofdark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk Method
In summary: If you want to graph the function for a specific value of x, you would need to input that value into your graphing calculator as the "r" value.
Princeofdark
http://www.webassign.net/www14/symImages/5/5/e52c6d3f5c64e9f5bf52f9a215f4f2.gif

V = (pi)(r^2)

I tried to graph this but it seemed like the graph kept going. what do i do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Prince

I'm not sure I understand your question, can you elaborate?

lanedance said:
Hi Prince

I'm not sure I understand your question, can you elaborate?

Consider the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded by the given curves about the y-axis.

Find the volume V of this solid.

^^

So basically that's the question and i can't solve it.

i started of by trying to draw in my graphing calculator, but the graph kept going.

So i need to find the volume, can you help me?

I would try graphing y = ln5x, this function is negative for x<1 and diverges to negative infinity as x heads to 0, so only plot for x>0

Then try drawing on paper the region you want to rotate, and how it is rotated.

Solving for the volume will involve setting up an integral. Can you write down the volume for an infintesimally thick disk?
dV = r(y)^2.dy
wher r(y) is the radius of the disk

As the function is rotated around the y-axis it may help to re-write your function as x in terms of y

Last edited:
Princeofdark said:

V = (pi)(r^2)

I tried to graph this but it seemed like the graph kept going. what do i do?
What do you mean by "the graph kept going"? The left boundary is x= 0, the y axis; the right boundary is the graph of y= ln(5x)= ln(5x); the lower boundary is y= 3; and the upper boundary is y= 5. Rotating around the x axis, the radius, r is x in y= ln(5x). That is, r= x= ey/5.

Related to Solving Volume with the Disk Method: Graph & Tips

1. What is the disk method for finding volume?

The disk method is a mathematical technique used to find the volume of a solid of revolution by rotating a region bounded by a function around a vertical or horizontal axis. It is based on the idea that the volume of the solid can be approximated by an infinite number of thin disks stacked together.

2. How do you set up the integral for the disk method?

To set up the integral for the disk method, you first need to determine the limits of integration by finding the points of intersection between the function and the axis of rotation. Then, you square the function and multiply it by π to get the cross-sectional area of each disk. Finally, integrate the cross-sectional area from the lower limit to the upper limit to find the total volume.

3. Can the disk method be used for any shape?

No, the disk method can only be used for finding the volume of solids of revolution with circular cross-sections. If the solid has a different cross-sectional shape, other methods such as the shell method or the washer method would need to be used.

4. What are some tips for solving volume with the disk method?

Some tips for solving volume with the disk method include carefully choosing the axis of rotation to make the integral easier, breaking down the solid into smaller sections if necessary, and checking your work by using other methods such as the shell method. It is also important to pay attention to units and to use the correct formula for the cross-sectional area.

5. Can the disk method be used for finding the volume of irregular shapes?

No, the disk method can only be used for finding the volume of solids of revolution with a known function and a known axis of rotation. If the solid is irregular or does not have a known function, other methods such as the method of cross-sections would need to be used.