Solving Vector Division: Breaking Down the "12 Left" Answer

In summary, the question was about finding the value of the vector b/a, and the answer was determined to be 12 left after several attempts. The explanation given by the online homework site mentioned the perspective of a driver in an Audi, and there was some confusion about the notation used in the question. It was suggested to ask the teacher for clarification on the notation. Despite initial difficulties, the conversation ended with encouragement to continue with the class.
Ecterine
159883I.jpg

The question is: Vector b/a=_____

I guessed a few times (losing a point each time it was wrong) and finally got the answer.

The answer is: 12 left

The site (it's online homework) then gave this explanation:

"To the driver of the Audi, the Buick appears to be moving to the left and approaching the Audi at 12 . Recall that if you are driving a car, street signs seem to be coming toward you at the same speed that you are moving with respect to the earth. Notice that "toward you" is opposite to the direction of your motion with respect to the earth."

I'm so confused, this is basically the first homework assignment and I'm already lost. All I can find on google is "you don't divide vectors." The book doesn't have an example, and my teacher didn't go over this.

Why is the answer "12 left""? How do you figure that out?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the question was asked badly... it seems the notation b/a was supposed to mean the velocity of b with respect to a or the velocity of b as seen by a... ie: the velocity of b, in a's frame of reference...

you're right, you can't divide vectors... just seems like poor notation used in the question.

Thank you... I have a feeling that this class isn't going to go well for me. :/

I agree with learningphysics; b/a is not standard notation; I've never seen it used before.

I recommend showing this problem to your teacher and asking about this notation.

Ecterine said:
Thank you... I have a feeling that this class isn't going to go well for me. :/

You'll be fine. Just keep doing the work, and everything will be cool.

Related to Solving Vector Division: Breaking Down the "12 Left" Answer

What is vector division?

Vector division is a mathematical operation that involves dividing one vector by another vector. It is used to determine the direction and magnitude of the resulting vector.

How do you solve vector division?

To solve vector division, you need to break down the vectors into their individual components and then use the appropriate mathematical operations to divide them. This can be done using either the graphical or algebraic method.

What does "12 left" mean in vector division?

In vector division, "12 left" refers to the answer in terms of the components of the resulting vector. This means that the resulting vector has a magnitude of 12 and a direction of left.

What are the common mistakes when solving vector division?

Some common mistakes when solving vector division include forgetting to break down the vectors into their components, using the wrong mathematical operations, and not considering the direction of the resulting vector.

How is vector division used in real life?

Vector division is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used to calculate forces, velocities, and accelerations, as well as to determine the direction and magnitude of displacement and distance traveled.