Vector problem - solving x y z using angles between vector and axis

In summary: The angle between A and Ux is the ab-angle which is the angle between A and the x-axis. You want to find the length of the projection of A on Ux which is the magnitude of the component of A parallel to the x-axis. If you know the A and Ux you can use the cosine-law to find this length. cos (ab-angle) = (A . Ux)/|A| or A . Ux = |A| cos (ab-angle) I was just wondering if there's any specific reason you are using dot products to solve this problem? The magnitude and angle information can also be used to solve for the components using trigonometric functions. The dot product method is not necessary
Ascendant78

Homework Statement

Given that a vector has a magnitude of 6.0 units and makes an angle of 45° and 85° with the x and y axes, respectively, find the x and y components of this vector. Does the given information determine the z component? What can you say about the z component?

Homework Equations

equations included in #3 below

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was this:
solve for x: 6cos45° = 4.24
solve for y: 6cos85° = 5.99

solve for z:
sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2) = 6
17.98 + 35.88 + z^2 = 36
z^2 = -17.86
z = ±4.23

Although I got the right answer, I am not 100% sure why. I just tried this to see if it would work and it did. However, I am not sure exactly how the angle on each side is viewed? Is it the angle that the vector projects onto that side of the vector, or is it the angle projected onto the actual axis itself? I'm not sure if I'm even wording that in a way that makes sense, but hoping someone might know of a site or diagram I can look at that shows how the angle is evaluated for each side. I am just a bit confused as to how I get the right answer by multiplying the angle by 6, even though a magnitude of 6 will not necessarily project itself as 6 onto the x axis. I also know something is wrong because when I work backwards to solve for the magnitude of the angle, the value is wrong. I just want to make sure I know how to visualize this properly for related problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
The strategy is to understand the angle with the x-axis and y-axis means to take your vector and do an inner product with the x-unit-vector and with the y-unit-vector:

Vx = V . ux = |V| |ux| cos(45) = |V| cos(45) since |ux|=1

Vy = V . uy = |V| |uy| cos(85) = |V| cos(85) since |uy|=1

|V| = sqrt( Vx^2 + Vy^2 + Vz^2) and knowing Vx and Vy you can now solve for Vz.

Does that help?

By the way, the angle cosines are known as the direction cosines of V.

Your calculated component in the y-direction is incorrect. The cosine of 85 degrees is very small, not close to 1. You might have suspected something was wrong when you found that the square of the z component was negative, giving an imaginary value for the z component.

Regarding your question, the answer is "the angle projected onto the axis itself."

Chet

Apologies for the incorrect data I tossed up there earlier. I was in a rush and have no idea how I got that information. Anyway, I corrected my y value and used the method that you gave jedishrfu to solve it. However, I am still not exactly sure why what I did works? The book I am using to learn dot products doesn't give a very good explanation of them, so I am not so much concerned about how to use it as to why the calculations work the way they do? I am still a bit lost as to how I can multiply the magnitude (6) to the cos of the angle formed with the axis and get the value for that axis when the full 6 is most likely not projected onto that axis? Again, sorry if I am not wording this all well, as I am finding it difficult explaining exactly what I am trying to understand here.

Ascendant78 said:
Apologies for the incorrect data I tossed up there earlier. I was in a rush and have no idea how I got that information. Anyway, I corrected my y value and used the method that you gave jedishrfu to solve it. However, I am still not exactly sure why what I did works? The book I am using to learn dot products doesn't give a very good explanation of them, so I am not so much concerned about how to use it as to why the calculations work the way they do? I am still a bit lost as to how I can multiply the magnitude (6) to the cos of the angle formed with the axis and get the value for that axis when the full 6 is most likely not projected onto that axis? Again, sorry if I am not wording this all well, as I am finding it difficult explaining exactly what I am trying to understand here.

The full 6 is projected onto each of the axes using the appropriate cosine of the angle that the vector makes with that axis.

Chet

Dot products help you find the projection of one vector on another so A . B means the projection of A on B ie the component of A parallel to B but it can also mean the projection of B on A.

Its especially useful if B is a unit vector ie magnitude is 1 so that the A . Ux = |A| cos (ab-angle) which is the magnitude of the A component parallel to the x-axis. Visually you have a triangle in 3-space the hypotenuse is A and one side is Ux.

Related to Vector problem - solving x y z using angles between vector and axis

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is represented by an arrow and can be used to describe physical quantities like displacement, velocity, and force.

2. How do you solve vector problems?

To solve a vector problem, you need to break down the problem into smaller components and use vector addition and subtraction, as well as trigonometric functions, to find the resultant vector. You may also need to use the Pythagorean theorem and inverse trigonometric functions to find the magnitude and direction of the vector.

3. What are x, y, and z in vector problems?

In vector problems, x, y, and z typically represent the Cartesian coordinates of the vector. These coordinates define the position of the vector in a three-dimensional space.

4. What are the angles between a vector and an axis?

The angles between a vector and an axis are known as direction angles. These angles are formed between the vector and each of the three axes (x, y, and z) in a three-dimensional coordinate system. They can be used to determine the direction of the vector in space.

5. Can vectors be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, vectors are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to solve real-world problems. For example, they can be used to calculate the displacement of an object, the velocity of a moving object, or the force acting on an object.