Solving Two Lens System: O1, F1, F2, i2, M

In summary, the conversation discussed two lens systems, one being a diverging lens and the other a converging lens. The focal lengths and distances between the lenses were given, and the task was to find the image distance produced by lens 2 and the overall lateral magnification of the system. The equations used were 1/i + 1/o = 1/f and -(1/f) - (1/o) = (1/i). It was also noted that the focal length of the diverging lens should be given a negative value and the converging lens a positive value. After solving for the image distance produced by lens 1 alone, it was found that it was -3.87 cm away. Finally, the image distance produced
Neophyte

Homework Statement

Two Lens systems:
Lens one is a diverging lens and lens two is converging

O1 (object distance) = 9.6 cm
Focal length F1= 6.5 cm
distance between the two lenses is 13 cm
F2 = 7.4 cm
Find the image distance i2 for the image produced by lens 2 (the final image produced by the system) and the overall lateral magnification M for the system, including signs.

Homework Equations

1/i + 1/o = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

i1 = 20.13 cm
o1=9.6 cm
i2=
o2=1/

i1
(1/6.5) - (1/9.6) = 1/i = 0.049

i1 = 20.129

o2
d = 13 cm
o2 = d - i1 :confused:
o2 = 13 - 20.129
o2 = -7.129 cm

i2

1/i =(1/7.4) - (1/-7.129)
i2 = 3.63 cm

Anyways I keep getting this incorrect but I am not sure what is wrong I think I mess up solving for the object2 but I have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where is the image from lens 1 alone? Show how you'd calculate that.

Hello neophyte,for your diverging lens the focal length should be given a negative value and for your converging lens it should be given a positive value.

Doc Al said:
Where is the image from lens 1 alone? Show how you'd calculate that.

-(1/f) - (1/O) = (1/i)
-(1/6.5) -(1/9.6) = 1/i = 0.258

i1 = -3.87

Dadface said:
Hello neophyte,for your diverging lens the focal length should be given a negative value and for your converging lens it should be given a positive value.

:redface:

d = 13 cm
o2 = d - i1
o2 = 13 +3.875
o2 = 16.875 cm

1/i2 = (1/f) - (1/o2)
1/0.07587 = (1/7.4) - (1/16.875)
i2 = 13.179

Thank you both :smile:

Your attempt at a solution is on the right track, but there are a few errors in your calculations. First, your calculation for i1 is incorrect. The correct equation to use is 1/i1 + 1/o1 = 1/f1, which gives i1 = 20.13 cm. Next, your calculation for o2 is also incorrect. The distance between the two lenses is 13 cm, so the object distance for lens 2 (o2) should be 13 cm, not -7.129 cm. Finally, your calculation for i2 is incorrect. The correct equation to use is 1/i2 = (1/f2) + (1/o2), which gives i2 = 4.05 cm.

To find the overall lateral magnification M, you can use the equation M = -i2/i1, which gives M = -0.201. This means that the final image produced by the system is inverted and smaller than the original object.

Remember to always double check your units and equations to avoid errors. Keep up the good work!

Related to Solving Two Lens System: O1, F1, F2, i2, M

What is a two lens system?

A two lens system is a combination of two lenses placed in succession, with the first lens focusing the light and the second lens further manipulating the light to produce a desired image or focus point. This system is commonly used in optics and photography.

What is O1 in a two lens system?

O1 refers to the object distance, or the distance between the object and the first lens in the system. This distance is important in determining the overall magnification and image formation in a two lens system.

What is F1 and F2 in a two lens system?

F1 and F2 refer to the focal lengths of the first and second lenses, respectively. The focal length is the distance between the lens and its focal point, where the light rays converge or appear to diverge from. These values are important in calculating the image distance and overall magnification of the system.

What is i2 in a two lens system?

i2 refers to the image distance, or the distance between the second lens and the final image formed. This distance is determined by the focal lengths of the lenses and the object distance, and it determines the size and orientation of the final image.

What is M in a two lens system?

M is the magnification of the two lens system, which is the ratio of the size of the image to the size of the object. It is calculated using the object distance, image distance, and focal lengths of the lenses. A magnification greater than 1 indicates an enlarged image, while a magnification less than 1 indicates a reduced image.