Physics Lens Problem: Find Object Distance

In summary, for a lens with a 55-cm focal length and a real image located 2.4 m away from the object, the possible values for the object distance can be calculated using the equation 1/s+1/(s-2.4)=1/.55 and the quadratic formula. However, the correct solution is found by using the equation s-(-s')=2.4.
meermeeronthewall

Homework Statement

An object and its lens-produced real image are 2.4 m apart.

Part A
If the lens has 55-cm focal length, what are the possible values for the object distance?
Express your answer using two significant figures.

Homework Equations

1/s+1/s'=1/f
s-s'=2.4m

The Attempt at a Solution

1/s+1/(s-2.4)=1/.55
2s-2.4/s^2-2.4s=1/.55
s^2-3.5s+1.32=0
I then used the quadratic formula and found:
s=3.07 and s=.4299

I tried this answer, but it is wrong. I also tried substituting s'=2.4+s. But the answers I got for that were wrong as well.

Nevermind, I solved it. I had to use s-(-s')=2.4.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello m2, :welcome: nevertheless.

Maybe it helped that you had to order your thoughts to come up with a good first post in PF :wink:

Related to Physics Lens Problem: Find Object Distance

1. What is a physics lens problem?

A physics lens problem involves using the principles of optics to determine the location of an object based on the characteristics of a lens, such as its focal length and the position of its image.

2. How do you find the object distance in a physics lens problem?

To find the object distance in a physics lens problem, you can use the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length of the lens, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance.

3. What other information do I need to solve a physics lens problem?

In addition to the focal length of the lens, you will also need to know the location of the image, either as a distance from the lens or as a ratio compared to the focal length (such as 1/3 f). You may also need to know the refractive index of the material the lens is made of.

4. What are some common applications of physics lens problems?

Physics lens problems are used in a variety of fields, including photography, astronomy, and vision correction. They are also important in the design of optical instruments such as microscopes and telescopes.

5. How can I check my answer to a physics lens problem?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the thin lens equation and making sure it satisfies the equation. You can also use a ray diagram to visualize the problem and see if your answer makes sense in relation to the object and image positions.