Compound microscope focal length

In summary, the task is to determine the focal length of the objective lens of a compound microscope, given a barrel length of 15 cm, a 1 cm distance between the specimen and the objective, and a 5 cm focal length for the eyepiece. Using the equation 1/di + 1/do = 1/f, the intermediate image must be formed at the focal point of the eyepiece due to the preference of the human eye for plane waves.
Cataklyzm

Homework Statement

The barrel of a compound microscope is 15 cm in length (distance between lenses). The specimen will be mounted 1.0
cm from the objective, and the eyepiece has a 5.0-cm focal length. Determine the focal length
of the objective lens.
Known: f2=5cm, L=15cm, do1=1cm
Unknown: f1, di1, di2, do2

Homework Equations

1/di+1/do=1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I drew a diagram: I believe di1+do2=L
B. I have the equations:
1/di1+1=f/f1
1/di2+1/do2=1/5
di1+do2=15

I think there is some relation to distances that I'm not seeing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Must the intermediate image be formed at the focal point of the eyepiece? I think that could solve my distance dilemma.

Cataklyzm said:
Must the intermediate image be formed at the focal point of the eyepiece? I think that could solve my distance dilemma.

Yes, and you should be able to explain why (hint: the normal human eye likes plane waves!).

Related to Compound microscope focal length

1. What is the focal length of a compound microscope?

The focal length of a compound microscope is the distance between the center of the lens and the point where the light rays converge to form a clear image. It is typically measured in millimeters (mm).

2. How is the focal length of a compound microscope determined?

The focal length of a compound microscope is determined by the curvature of the lens and the refractive index of the medium through which the light passes. It can also be calculated by dividing the distance between the objective lens and the eyepiece by the magnification power.

3. What is the relationship between focal length and magnification in a compound microscope?

The focal length and magnification in a compound microscope have an inverse relationship. This means that as the focal length decreases, the magnification increases and vice versa. This is why adjusting the distance between the lenses can change the magnification of the image.

4. Can the focal length of a compound microscope be changed?

Yes, the focal length of a compound microscope can be changed by adjusting the distance between the objective lens and the eyepiece. This is typically done by using the fine focus knob or by changing the position of the eyepiece.

5. Why is the focal length important in a compound microscope?

The focal length is important in a compound microscope because it determines the magnification and clarity of the image. A longer focal length will result in a larger image, while a shorter focal length will result in a smaller image with a higher magnification. It is also crucial in determining the working distance of the microscope, which is the distance between the objective lens and the specimen.