Solving the SHM differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a homogenous linear differential equation and using substitution to simplify the equation. It is noted that all expressions given are general solutions with two arbitrary constants that can be determined by initial conditions. The conversation also addresses the steps from line 5 to 6 and explains how to go from item 2 to 3. It is mentioned that all arbitrary coefficients can be complex.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
x(t) = Ae^(αt)
I am trying to solve this homogenous linear differential equation
1670471233862.png
Since it is linear, I can use the substitution
1670471362312.png
Which gives,
1670471550898.png
(line 1)
1670471600562.png
(line 2)
1670471665871.png
(line 3)
1670471754837.png
(line 4)
1670472195684.png
(line 5)
Which according to Morin's equals,
1670471844926.png
(line 6)

However, could someone please show me steps how he got from line 5 to 6?

Also was is line 4 is it not:
1670472319014.png
? In other words, why dose B ≠ A?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All of the expressions below are general solutions of your equation
  1. ##x=C_1e^{i\omega t}+C_2e^{-i\omega t}##
  2. ##x=A\sin\omega t+B\cos\omega t##
  3. ##x=D\sin(\omega t+\phi)##
You can verify that this is so by substituting in your ODE. Note that each expression has two arbitrary constants that are determined by the initial conditions, usually the values of ##x## and ##\frac{dx}{dt}## at ##t=0## that are appropriate to a particular situation..

You are asking how to go from 5 to 6 which is essentially going from my item 2 to 3. It is more obvious to see how to go from 3 to 2. Once you see that, you can reverse the algebra, if you wish.

Using a well known trig identity for the sine of a sum of angles,
$$D\sin(\omega t+\phi)=D\cos\phi \sin\omega t+D\sin\phi \cos\omega t.$$ If you identify $$A\equiv D\cos\phi~~\text{and}~~B\equiv D\sin\phi,$$you have item 2 above.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
All of the expressions below are general solutions of your equation
  1. ##x=C_1e^{i\omega t}+C_2e^{-i\omega t}##
  2. ##x=A\sin\omega t+B\cos\omega t##
  3. ##x=D\sin(\omega t+\phi)##
You can verify that this is so by substituting in your ODE. Note that each expression has two arbitrary constants that are determined by the initial conditions, usually the values of ##x## and ##\frac{dx}{dt}## at ##t=0## that are appropriate to a particular situation..

You are asking how to go from 5 to 6 which is essentially going from my item 2 to 3. It is more obvious to see how to go from 3 to 2. Once you see that, you can reverse the algebra, if you wish.

Using a well known trig identity for the sine of a sum of angles,
$$D\sin(\omega t+\phi)=D\cos\phi \sin\omega t+D\sin\phi \cos\omega t.$$ If you identify $$A\equiv D\cos\phi~~\text{and}~~B\equiv D\sin\phi,$$you have item 2 above.
Thanks for your reply @kuruman ! Why don't you have and imaginary unit when going from line 1 to line 2? I though from Euler's identity it should be:
1670475675127.png
. However, are you assuming that the constant B accounts for that?

Many thanks!

All arbitrary coefficients are, well, arbitrary which means they could be complex.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Ok thank you @kuruman ! I guess that means we could have the coefficient without the imaginary unit, which is cool because even thought the answers look different, they are both correct.

1. What is SHM?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant period and amplitude.

2. What is the differential equation for SHM?

The differential equation for SHM is d2x/dt2 + (k/m)x = 0, where x is the displacement of the object, t is time, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the object.

3. How do you solve the SHM differential equation?

The SHM differential equation can be solved using various methods, such as the energy method, the trigonometric method, or the complex exponential method. These methods involve manipulating the equation and applying initial conditions to find the general solution.

4. What are the initial conditions for solving the SHM differential equation?

The initial conditions for solving the SHM differential equation are the initial displacement and velocity of the object. These values are typically given in the problem or can be measured in real-life scenarios.

5. What are some real-life applications of SHM?

SHM is commonly observed in systems such as springs, pendulums, and mass-spring systems. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and biology, where oscillatory motion is present. For example, SHM can be used to model the motion of a swinging pendulum or the vibrations of a guitar string.