Differential equation for a pendulum

In summary: I was confused because I thought there was supposed to be a constant term involved. Thank you for clearing that up. In summary, a simple pendulum is formed by a light string and a small bob, with the string making an angle theta with the vertical at time t. The equation of motion of the bob perpendicular to the string is given by dd(theta) + w^2*theta = 0, where w is the angular frequency. The approximation sin(theta) = theta is made for small values of theta, and the general solution for the equation is theta = theta_0*sin(wt).
Faiq

Homework Statement

A simple pendulum is formed by a light string of length ##l## and with a small bob ##B## of mass ##m## at one end. The strings hang from a fixed point at another end. The string makes an angle ##\theta## with the vertical at time ##t##. Write down an equation of motion of ##B## perpendicular to ##OB## and state the approximation that enables you to treat this equation as an SHM equation. State the general solution of this equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Equation of motion : ## \rm \large -mgl\sin(\pi -\theta) = ml^2 \ddot \theta##
Rearranges to: ## \rm \large \ddot \theta =-\frac{g}{l}sin(\pi-\theta)##
Approximation: ## \rm \large sin \theta \approx \theta## provided ## \theta ## is small.
General solution: ## \rm \large \theta = \theta_0sin(\sqrt{\frac{g}{l}}t)##

Are my answers correct?
The reason I am confused is because I think I have misunderstood what they mean by "equation of motion of ##B## perpendicular to ##OB##" and may have got all of my answers wrong.
And secondly I am well aware of finding a general solution of a differential equation of the form ## \rm \small \ddot y =ay ##, however, I have never seen a general solution of a differential equation of the form ##
\rm \small \ddot y =a(\lambda-y) ## where ##\lambda## is a constant.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not entirely clear what you are calling theta (and thus why you have involved a pi - theta argument for the sine). A figure would really help your question, along with labels on the figure.

As to the solution for the differential equation, did you really mean ddy = a*y, where a is presumed to be positive? Or did you intend to have it be negative?

The additional term a*lambda simply adds a constant to the particular solution.

Likes Chestermiller
Why are you interested in the solution to that differential equation?

Dr.D said:
It is not entirely clear what you are calling theta (and thus why you have involved a pi - theta argument for the sine). A figure would really help your question, along with labels on the figure.
WhatsApp Image 2017-04-13 at 5.22.17 AM.jpeg

I hope this will work.

Dr.D said:
As to the solution for the differential equation, did you really mean ddy = a*y, where a is presumed to be positive? Or did you intend to have it be negative?

The additional term a*lambda simply adds a constant to the particular solution.
Yes, can you show me how to add the constant to the particular solution? Like for example if the solution to the differential equation ## \ddot y = ay## where a is a constant is ## y = y_0 \sin \omega t##, how will the constant term be added in the solution if the equation is changed to ## \ddot y = a(\lambda-y)##? (If changes vary from equation to equation, please refer to the SHM equation given in my first post) If you find my example vague, feel free to make one of yours.
Chestermiller said:
Why are you interested in the solution to that differential equation?
I am not interested in that particular equation. I am just concerned whether changes will occur in the solution if the concerned variable was increased or decreased by a constant term.

Start by replacing sin(pi-theta) with just sin(theta); they are exactly equal.

Then, with a little bit of re-arrangement, your equation should look like
dd(theta) + w^2*sin(theta) = 0

Then make the approximation that for small theta, sin(theta) = theta, so you have
dd(theta) + w^2*theta = 0

That should be the only equation you need to solve for this problem.
I really don't know where the question about a constant term on the right came from.

Okay thank you that explains a lot.

Related to Differential equation for a pendulum

1. What is the differential equation for a pendulum?

The differential equation for a pendulum is d2θ/dt2 + (g/L)sin(θ) = 0, where θ is the angle of displacement, t is time, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and L is the length of the pendulum.

2. How is the differential equation derived for a pendulum?

The differential equation for a pendulum is derived using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the force on the pendulum is determined by the gravitational force and the tension in the string. By using trigonometry and applying this law, the differential equation can be derived.

3. What is the significance of the differential equation for a pendulum?

The differential equation for a pendulum is significant because it describes the motion of a pendulum, which is a common and important physical phenomenon. It allows for the prediction of the behavior of a pendulum and can be used to design and optimize pendulum-based systems.

4. Can the differential equation for a pendulum be solved analytically?

Yes, the differential equation for a pendulum can be solved analytically using various methods such as the small angle approximation, the energy conservation method, or the use of special functions such as the Jacobi elliptic functions.

5. How is the differential equation for a pendulum used in real-world applications?

The differential equation for a pendulum is used in many real-world applications, such as clock mechanisms, seismology, and engineering designs for suspension bridges and tall buildings. It is also used in physics and mathematics research to study the behavior of complex systems and chaotic motion.