Solving the HH equation for a Phosphate Buffer

• Thread starter peak99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer
In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation to calculate the ratio of acid and salt for phosphate buffers. The pKa for sodium phosphate monobasic and dibasic is 7.21, but using the 50:50 ratio suggested by the equation does not result in the desired pH of 7.2. This is due to the ionic strength of the solution and can be corrected using tools like Buffer Maker. It is noted that the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation works for both Tris and phosphate buffers, but the correction for ionic strength may need to be taken into account for phosphate buffers.
peak99
I have a relatively simple problem. I'm used to making Tris buffer and always use the HH equation to figure it out initially for my ratio of acid/salt in percentage for my given pH.

This is not working for phosphate buffers and really getting me frustrated right now. I know i could just use a table but i like to know what I am doing wrong:

I have Sodium phosphate monobasic and dibasic (acid/salt respectively)

the pKa is 7.21

knowing: pH = pK + log (salt/acid)

I want a pH of 7.2. Let's say pKa is 7.2 for simplicity:

[acid] + [salt] = 100% (1)
salt = 1-acid

7.2 = 7.2 + log (1-acid/acid)
10^ 0 = (1-acid)/acid
2*acid = 1
acid =0.5
salt= 0.5

i know its reallllly .506 and .494 for pka is really 7.21

BUT using this ratio does not give anything close to 7.2: more like 6.8 ( i made a 0.5L of 200mM using 49.4mmol Na2HPO4 an 50.6mmol NaH2PO4 = 100mmol/0.5L = 200mM) the pH was 6.8

So:
I Double checked phosphate buffer charts and low and behold the 50:50 ratio in fact gives a pH of ~6.8 or 6.9.

Why is this if the pKA is 7.21 ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thanks,

I considered this, but i had thought that ionic strength was only a problem in higher concentrations this complicates life...

Aside,
How come HH works for Tris buffers even with the addition of NaCl, but not phosphate?

It works for both cases. Could be TRIS pKa value that you use is already corrected for ionic strength.

Check out Buffer Maker, it does the ionic strength calculations automatically.

--

I think if you work out what you have got in the solution, if each is at pH equal to their pK, the phosphate buffer has 5X the ionic strength as the same concentration of tris, so ionic strength effects would be expected greater. Just try diluting the two buffers and tell us what you observe.

Related to Solving the HH equation for a Phosphate Buffer

1. What is the HH equation and why is it important in phosphate buffer calculations?

The HH equation, also known as the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, is a mathematical equation that relates the pH of a solution to the concentration of its acid and conjugate base components. It is commonly used in buffer calculations, including phosphate buffer, to determine the appropriate ratio of acid and base needed to maintain a stable pH.

2. How do you solve the HH equation for phosphate buffer?

The HH equation for phosphate buffer is solved by plugging in the known values for the acid dissociation constant (pKa), pH, and buffer concentrations. The resulting equation can then be rearranged to solve for either the acid or base concentration, depending on which is unknown.

3. Are there any limitations to using the HH equation for phosphate buffer calculations?

Yes, the HH equation assumes that the acid and base components are the only contributors to the pH of the solution, and that their concentrations remain constant throughout the reaction. In reality, there may be other factors that affect pH, such as temperature or the presence of other chemical species.

4. Can the HH equation be used for all types of buffers?

No, the HH equation is specifically designed for weak acid and conjugate base buffers. It cannot be applied to strong acid or base buffers, or to systems where the acid and base are present in equal concentrations (such as a salt solution).

5. How can the HH equation be used to optimize a phosphate buffer?

The HH equation can be used to determine the optimal ratio of acid and base components in a phosphate buffer for a specific pH. By plugging in different values for pH and buffer concentrations, the equation can be solved to find the ideal concentrations of acid and base needed to achieve the desired pH.