Ionic strength of Mcilvaine's Buffer

In summary, the table presented by Elving et al provides concentrations in grams/Liter for Citric Acid monohydrate and Na2HPO4.12H2O, which were converted to moles/Liter for the desired pH values. The ionic strength values provided by Elving et al were calculated using the definition of ionic strength, which involves finding equilibrium concentrations of ions and activity coefficients. It is recommended to use dedicated software for these calculations.
Jim B
Table 1. Preparation of Constant Ionic Strength McIlvaine Buffered Solutions
Reference: P.J. Elving, J.M. Markowitz, I. Rosenthal, Analyt. Chem. 28(7): 1179-1180 (1956)
pH Desired Composition, G/Liter of Solution Composition, Moles/Liter of Solution Buffer System G/Liter of KCl added per liter
at 25 C H3C6H5O7.H2O Na2HPO4.12H2O H3C6H5O7.H2O Na2HPO4.12H2O Ionic Strength of Solution to produce IS of
(MW 210.141) (MW 358.142) 210.141 358.142 (IS), M 1.0 M 0.5 M
pH H3C6H5O7.H2O Na2HPO4.12H2O H3C6H5O7.H2O Na2HPO4.12H2O Ionic strength ( gm/L) (gm/L) (moles/L) (moles/L) (IS)
4.8 10.7 35.3 0.0509 0.0986 0.2320
5 10.2 36.9 0.0485 0.1030 0.2560
6.8 4.79 55.4 0.0228 0.1547 0.3920

The above table is taken from the reference cited by Elving et al. This table shows the concentrations (in grams/Liter) for Citric Acid monohydrate (MW 210.141) and Na2HPO4.12H2O (MW 358.142). I converted these to moles/Liter for the 3 pH values of interest (4.8, 5.0, and 6.8). The 3 ionic strength values are those provided by Elving et al. Unfortunately they do not show their calculations of IS in their publication and I have been unable to figure out how they arrived at these 3 values. I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide to show me how these values of IS were calculated.
Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Basically you should find all equilibrium concentrations of ions involved (rather simple conceptually, but producing some cumbersome math) and plug them into the ionic strength definition.

Trick is, things don't end here - after that you should calculate activity coefficients, recalculate the equilibrium concentrations and plug them into the definition again. Repeat until the result converges. These are iterations you were told about elsewhere.

Calculating these things manually is a waste of time. It is better to use devoted software, like my Buffer Maker.

1. What is the definition of ionic strength?

The ionic strength of a solution is a measure of the concentration of charged particles, such as ions, in the solution. It is calculated by taking into account the concentration and charge of each ion present in the solution.

2. Why is Mcilvaine's Buffer used in research?

Mcilvaine's Buffer is a commonly used buffer solution in scientific research due to its ability to maintain a stable pH for a wide range of applications. It is especially useful in biochemical and enzymatic reactions, as well as in electrophoresis experiments.

3. How is the ionic strength of Mcilvaine's Buffer calculated?

The ionic strength of Mcilvaine's Buffer can be calculated using the formula: I = 1/2 * ∑(c*z^2), where I is the ionic strength, c is the concentration of each ion, and z is the charge of each ion.

4. Can the ionic strength of Mcilvaine's Buffer be adjusted?

Yes, the ionic strength of Mcilvaine's Buffer can be adjusted by changing the concentrations of the ions present in the solution. This can be done by adding different amounts of the buffer components, such as citric acid and disodium hydrogen phosphate.

5. How does the ionic strength affect chemical reactions in Mcilvaine's Buffer?

The ionic strength of a solution can affect the rate and efficiency of chemical reactions that occur in Mcilvaine's Buffer. Higher ionic strength can lead to increased interactions between charged particles, which can alter reaction rates and product yields.