Volumes of a Buffer using Henderson-Hasselbalch?

In summary, the conversation involves calculating the volume of 0.10M phosphate solution needed to mix to prepare 100mL of a buffer with pH 6.0 using 0.10M stock solutions of NaH2PO4 and Na2HPO4. The pKa for this reaction is 7.21. The suggested method is to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation and solve for the ratio of the two salts. The final answer is 5.8mL of Na2HPO4 and 94.2mL of NaH2PO4, which would need to be reduced by a certain factor to make a 100mL solution.
Heidi_2

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume of 0.10M phosphate solution to mix to prepare 100mL of a buffer with pH 6.0 starting with 0.10M stock solutions of NaH2PO4 and Na2HPO4. The pKa for this reaction is 7.21.

Homework Equations

pH=pHa+log( [A-]/[HA])

The Attempt at a Solution

When I did it by myself, I let x+y=1 and x=Na2HPO4 and y=NaH2PO4, solved for x using the HH equation but got weird numbers that didn't make sense (like .984). Then I tried x=Na2hPO4 and .100L-x=NaH2PO4:

A-=.1x/.1L and HA=.1x/(.1-x), plugged that into the HH equation (.1L cancel) so
6=7.21+log([.1x]/[.1(.1-x)] and solved for x and once again got a very small number that doesn't make sense (.0058).

Now I'm lost and flustered. Thank you before hand for any help offered!

*after staring at this for a while, my final answer of .0058 is L, which is 5.8mL, therefore 5.8mL of Na2HPO4 and then 94.2mL of NaH2PO4 would be needed to achieve a pH of 6?

Physics news on Phys.org
Heidi_2 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume of 0.10M phosphate solution to mix to prepare 100mL of a buffer with pH 6.0 starting with 0.10M stock solutions of NaH2PO4 and Na2HPO4. The pKa for this reaction is 7.21.

Homework Equations

pH=pHa+log( [A-]/[HA])

The Attempt at a Solution

When I did it by myself, I let x+y=1 and x=Na2HPO4 and y=NaH2PO4, solved for x using the HH equation but got weird numbers that didn't make sense (like .984). Then I tried x=Na2hPO4 and .100L-x=NaH2PO4:

A-=.1x/.1L and HA=.1x/(.1-x), plugged that into the HH equation (.1L cancel) so
6=7.21+log([.1x]/[.1(.1-x)] and solved for x and once again got a very small number that doesn't make sense (.0058).

Now I'm lost and flustered. Thank you before hand for any help offered!

*after staring at this for a while, my final answer of .0058 is L, which is 5.8mL, therefore 5.8mL of Na2HPO4 and then 94.2mL of NaH2PO4 would be needed to achieve a pH of 6?

I'm not flustered. What's my secret? Getting the right answer doesn't really matter to me, so I can distance myself from it and relax.
28cet93.jpg

If I had been more relaxed and distanced more of the time I might have studied a bit better in my time.

I suggest you complete your equation to include explicitly that the ratio of the phosphate Ions is the ratio of the two salts. That is as much chemistry as is involved, after that it's just arithmetic. Stuff that you could do 10 or 15 years ago

You haven't stated the ratio of salt moles that you calculated (direct from the formula I suggested you get). Find that. Take, say, 100 ml of one salt, then from the ratio how many ml of the other salt do you need to make the solution of pH 6.0? Mixed they will make a volume of more than 100 ml. By what factor do you need to reduce both volumes to make 100 ml?

Last edited:

1. What is the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation?

The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the pH of a buffer solution. It is written as pH = pKa + log([A-]/[HA]), where pKa is the acid dissociation constant and [A-] and [HA] are the concentrations of the conjugate base and acid, respectively.

2. How is the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation used to determine the buffer capacity?

The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation can be used to determine the buffer capacity, which is a measure of the ability of a buffer solution to resist changes in pH when acids or bases are added. The buffer capacity is determined by the concentrations of the conjugate base and acid, as well as the pH of the solution.

3. What is the significance of the pKa value in the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation?

The pKa value represents the pH at which the concentration of the acid and conjugate base are equal in a solution. It is a measure of the strength of an acid, with lower pKa values indicating a stronger acid and higher pKa values indicating a weaker acid.

4. How does changing the ratio of [A-]/[HA] affect the pH of a buffer solution?

The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation shows that the pH of a buffer solution is dependent on the ratio of the conjugate base and acid concentrations. Changing this ratio will result in a change in pH, with a higher [A-]/[HA] ratio resulting in a higher pH and a lower [A-]/[HA] ratio resulting in a lower pH.

5. Can the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation be used for any buffer system?

The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is specifically designed for weak acid-base buffer systems, where the acid and its conjugate base are in equilibrium. It cannot be used for other types of buffers, such as strong acids or bases, or for systems where the acid and base are not in equilibrium.