Solving spherical surface area

In summary, the surface area of a sphere with radius 3, where 0 < theta < pi/2 and 0 < phi < pi/3, can be found using the formula 9*int(sin(theta), theta=0..pi/3, phi=0..pi/2). Another way to calculate it is by dividing the entire surface area of the sphere by 12, since the given limits reduce the sphere to a pizza slice. However, the answer given as 9pi is incorrect, as the factor of two in front of the first integral is unnecessary.
geft
For r = 3, 0 < theta < pi/2, 0 < phi < pi/3, find the surface area of the sphere. The answer given is 9pi, but I can't seem to work it out. Below is my working:

[tex]2\int_{r=0}^{3}\int_{\phi=0}^{\frac{\pi}{3}}r\sin\theta dr d \phi +
2\int_{r=0}^{3}\int_{\theta=0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}r dr d \theta +
\int_{\theta=0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{\phi=0}^{\frac{\pi}{3}}r^2\sin{\theta} d \theta d \phi[/tex]

[tex]= 2 [\frac{1}{2}R^2]_0^3[sin \frac {\pi}{2}][\phi]_0^{\frac{\pi}{3}}+
2 [\frac{1}{2}R^2]_0^3[\theta]_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} +
R^2 [-\cos{\theta}]_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} [\phi]_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{3}}[/tex]

[tex]= (9)(1)(\frac{\pi}{3})+(9)(\frac{\pi}{2})+(9)(1)(\frac{\pi}{3})[/tex]

[tex]= 3\pi + 4.5\pi + 3\pi = 10.5\pi[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no clue at all what you are doing! For one thing, in the first integral you are integrating with respect to r- but r is fixed at 3. And integrating a function of [itex]\theta[/itex] with respect to r and [itex]\phi[/itex] will NOT give a number! The middle integral appears to be the area of a section of a circle. What circle? And the third integral, except that it is missing the integration with respect to r, is a "volume"! Why are you doing three different integrals instead of just one?

The surface area of a sphere or radius 3, with [itex]0\le \theta\le \pi/3[/itex] and [itex]0\le\phi\le \pi/2[/itex] is given by
[tex]9\int_{\phi= 0}^{\pi/3}\int_{\theta= 0}^{\pi/2} sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi[/tex]

Another way to answer this is to note that since [itex]\theta[/itex] runs from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex], half of its range from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex] to cover the entire sphere, and [itex]\phi[/itex] runs from 0 to [itex]\pi/3[/itex], 1/6 of its range from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex], the area must be 1/12 of the entire surface area of the sphere of radius 3.

However, the area of the given surface is NOT [itex]9\pi[/itex].

(This problem is using "Engineering notation" which swaps the roles of [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] from "Mathematics notation".)

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm using the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system" (the red/yellow/blue diagram) for the calculation of electric force. I'm supposed to find the surface area enclosed by the parameters. When these limits are imposed, the sphere is reduced to something resembling a pizza slice. The area of each side is then added together.

I can include pictures from my book if they can be of help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The factor of two you have in front of the first integral shouldn't be there. There's only one wedge that lies in the xy-plane.

Thanks!

Related to Solving spherical surface area

1. How do you calculate the surface area of a sphere?

To calculate the surface area of a sphere, you can use the formula A = 4πr^2, where A is the surface area and r is the radius of the sphere. Alternatively, you can also use the formula A = πd^2, where d is the diameter of the sphere.

2. What is the unit of measurement for surface area of a sphere?

The unit of measurement for surface area of a sphere is usually square units, such as square meters (m^2) or square centimeters (cm^2).

3. Can the surface area of a sphere be negative?

No, the surface area of a sphere cannot be negative. It is a physical quantity that represents the total area of the curved surface of a sphere and therefore cannot have a negative value.

4. How does the surface area of a sphere relate to its volume?

The surface area and volume of a sphere are related by the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the sphere. This means that the surface area is proportional to the radius squared, while the volume is proportional to the radius cubed.

5. Can the surface area of a sphere be used to measure its diameter or circumference?

No, the surface area of a sphere cannot be used to measure its diameter or circumference. These measurements are related to the size of the sphere, while the surface area is related to the amount of surface that the sphere covers.