Solving Sinusoidal Equations with Theta

In summary,The spanish UNED has already solved this problem and provides a formula for obtaining the height of a kicked object above ground at a given time.
archaic said:
Player: *kicks the ball*.
Let's assume that the initial velocity vector is such that when the ball is at the same horizontal position (from its starting point) as the player wall, it is just on top of it (this is the case where the angle is a minimum). Let's call this instant ##\tau##.
When I do the math (which you did), I find that the vertical position of the ball at any given instant is described by ##y(t)=(v_0\sin{\theta})t-\frac12gt^2##, hence ##y(\tau)=1.9=(v_0\sin{\theta})\tau-\frac12g\tau^2##.
The problem statement wants ##\theta##, so let's solve for it!
$$\begin{align*}
(v_0\sin{\theta})\tau-\frac12g\tau^2=1.9&\Leftrightarrow v_0\sin{\theta}-\frac12g\tau=\frac{1.9}{\tau}\text{, we know that $\tau\neq0$}\\
&\Leftrightarrow v_0\sin{\theta}=\frac{1.9}{\tau}+\frac12g\tau\\
&\Leftrightarrow \sin{\theta}=\frac{1.9}{v_0\tau}+\frac{1}{2v_0}g\tau\\
&\Leftrightarrow \theta=\arcsin\left(\frac{1.9}{v_0\tau}+\frac{1}{2v_0}g\tau\right)\\
\end{align*}$$
It seems that we're missing ##\tau##, but we can find it!
The horizontal position is given by ##x(t)=(v_0\cos{\theta})t##, thus, at ##t=\tau##, we have ##x(\tau)=11=(v_0\cos{\theta})\tau##, which gives us ##\tau=\frac{11}{(v_0\cos{\theta})}##. Let's plug it in ##\theta##:
$$\theta=\arcsin\left(\frac{1.9\cos\theta}{11}+\frac{11g}{2v_0^2\cos\theta}\right)$$
Scary :cry:. Let's take a step back!
$$\sin\theta=\frac{1.9\cos\theta}{11}+\frac{11g}{2v_0^2\cos\theta}$$
Frankly, at this point, you might not see what you should do if you haven't seen the spatial equation of a projectile and recognized the form.
If we divide by ##\cos\theta## (which is definitely not ##0##), we obtain a ##\tan\theta## on the left, and a ##1/\cos^2\theta## on the right, which is equal to ##1+\tan^2\theta##.
$$\tan\theta=\left(\frac{1.9}{11}+\frac{11g}{2v_0^2}\right)+\left(\frac{11g}{2v_0^2}\right)\tan^2\theta$$
This is @haruspex #31 post. You can, now, solve for ##\tan\theta##, then find ##\theta##.
Two solutions:
##\tan{\theta}=14##, so ##\arctan{14}=85,91##;
##\tan{\theta}=0,29##, so ##\arctan{0,29}=16,17##
I don't dare to conclude anything. Do you, forum?
haruspex, Delta2, I've chosen to explore haruspex and archaic's suggest

Physics news on Phys.org
mcastillo356 said:
Two solutions:
I got about 0,25 for the lower value of tan(θ). Did you plug your value back into the quadratic to check?

It is correct that there are two angles which will cause the ball to just clear the defenders. Any angle between the two will pass higher over their heads. The question asks for the minimum.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
mcastillo356 said:
Two solutions:
I get ##14.054## and ##0.247## for ##\tan\theta## with ##g=9.81##.

• Love
Likes mcastillo356
Sorry, haruspex, forum, I've worked all this time with a value of ##g## not accurate: 9,88. Thanks, archaic, your latest message has make me notice it.
Salutes to everybody!

Likes archaic
mcastillo356 said:
Sorry, haruspex, forum, I've worked all this time with a value of ##g## not accurate: 9,88. Thanks, archaic, your latest message has make me notice it.
Salutes to everybody!
you're welcome!