Parabola standard form of equation at x = -1

In summary: With y= 1/8 and x= -1, we have y= ax^2 becomes 1/8= -a so a= -1/8 and y= (1/8)x^2 becomes y= (-1/8)x^2. In the standard form, we have x^2= 4py becomes (-1)^2= 4p(1/8) so 1= (1/2)p and p= 2. The standard form is [b]x^2= 8y[/b].
Joystar77
Find the standard form of the equation of the parabola with the given characteristics and vertex at the origin. Passes through the point (-1, 1/8); vertical axis.

I know that there is no focus of the parabola or equation given for this problem, so how would I solve this problem? Is the correct formula to use the following?:

x^2= 4py

Are these the correct steps to take?

1. Write original equation

2. Divide each side by number given.

3. Write in standard form.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
re: Parabola standard form of equation at x=-1

I have two different formulas for using the conic section of a parabola, can someone please tell me which is correct for this type of problem?

The first one is as follows:
Type: Parabola
General Equation: y = a (x-h)^2 + k
Standard Form: (x - h) ^2 = 4p (y-k)

Notation:
1. x2 term and y1 term.
2. (h,k) is vertex.
3. (h, k does not equal p) is center of focus, where p = 1/4a.
4. y =k does not equal p is directrix equation, where p = 1/4a.

Value:
1. a >0, then opens up.
2. a < 0, then opens down.
3. x = h is equation of line of symmetry.
4. Larger [a] = thinner parabola; smaller [a] = fatter parabola.

Type: Parabola
General Equation: x = a (y-k)^2 + h
Standard Form: (y-k)^2 = 4p(x-h)

Notation:
1. x1 term and y2 term.
2. (h,k) is vertex.
3. (h does not equal p, k) is focus, where p = 1/4a.
4. x = h does not equal p is directrix equation, where p = 1/4a.

Values:

1. a > 0, then opens right.
2. a < 0, then opens left.
3. y = k is equation of line of symmetry.

In this problem, find the standard form of the equation of the parabola with the given characteristics and vertex at the origin. Passes through the point (-1, 1/8); vertical axis. Would this problem be correct if I work it out this way?

Vertex is at (0,0), then is the equation y = ax^2?

1/8 = a(-1)^2

a = 1/8

y = (1/8)x^2

STANDARD FORM:

y = (1/8) x^2

8y = x^2

x^2 - 8y = 0

Is this the correct way to solve this problem? Which formula am I suppose to use? If this is not right, then can somebody please help me with this?

Re: Parabola standard form of equation at x=-1

Except for the fact that you have the parabola going through a point with x= -1 instead of x= -5, this is exactly the same as your post "Parabola standard form of equation at x= -4" and every answer there applies to this.

You ask "which of these formulas is correct for this type of problem
General Equation: y = a (x-h)^2 + k
Standard Form: (x - h) ^2 = 4p (y-k)"

The answer is that they are the same formula except that the "a" in one is "1/4p" where p is from the other.

In both problems, the "vertex is at the origin" so h= k= 0 and the two equations become
General Equation: y = ax^2
Standard Form: x^2 = 4py
and, again, they are the same with a= 1/4p. Here, you are told that the graph goes through the point (-1, 1/8) so put x= -1, y= 1/8 into either and solve for a or p, as appropriate.

Related to Parabola standard form of equation at x = -1

1. What is the standard form of a parabola equation at x = -1?

The standard form of a parabola equation at x = -1 is y = a(x + 1)^2 + k, where a is the coefficient of the squared term and k is the y-intercept.

2. How do you determine the direction of opening for a parabola in standard form at x = -1?

The direction of opening for a parabola in standard form at x = -1 is determined by the sign of the coefficient a. If a is positive, the parabola opens upward. If a is negative, the parabola opens downward.

3. What does the value of a represent in the standard form of a parabola equation at x = -1?

The value of a represents the stretch or compression factor of the parabola. A larger absolute value of a results in a narrower, more compressed parabola. A smaller absolute value of a results in a wider, more stretched out parabola.

4. How do you find the y-intercept in the standard form of a parabola equation at x = -1?

You can find the y-intercept by evaluating the equation at x = -1, since this point always lies on the parabola. This will give you the value of k, which is the y-intercept.

5. Can you graph a parabola in standard form at x = -1 without using the vertex?

Yes, you can graph a parabola in standard form at x = -1 without using the vertex. To do this, you can plot the y-intercept and then use the stretch or compression factor to plot additional points on either side of the vertex. These points will be symmetrical with respect to the y-axis and can be used to sketch the parabola.