Solving PDEs with Initial & Boundary Conditions

In summary, the given conversation discussed a PDE with the initial condition n(0,L)=ns and boundary condition n(t,0)=B/G, where the parameters B and G depend on process conditions and change over time. The characteristic equations for the PDE were also provided and the solution was derived, which suggests that the population density, n, at a given size, L0, travels along the size axis with a growth rate of G. The solution also suggests that each initial value of n corresponding to an initial size, L0, will remain constant along the characteristic curve and correspond to a different size in the next time step. However, there is some confusion about how the boundary condition fits in with the solution and further clarification is
Graham Power

Homework Statement

The PDE: ∂n/∂t + G∂n/∂L=0

The initial condition: n(0,L)=ns

The boundary condition: n(t,0)=B/G

The parameter B and G above are dependent upon process conditions and change at each time. They can be calculated with adequate experimental data.

Homework Equations

I know that the characteristic equations for this PDE are:

∂n/∂s=0 (1)
∂L/∂s=G (2)
∂t/∂s=1 (3)

Solving the above:

n=n0 (4)
t=s (5)
L=Gt+L0 (6)

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I can see, the above equations suggest that along a characteristic curve given by equation (6), the population density, n, at size L0, travels along the size axis with rate of growth, G.

The initial condition, n(0,L)=ns describes the population of particles over a given size range. So the initial data I have is a number of values of population density, n, at a number of sizes.
Does the solution suggest that each initial value of population density, n corresponding to an initial size, L0 will stay constant along equation (6) and correspond to a different size in the next time step? I hope I am clear in what I am saying here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am having trouble understanding how the boundary condition n(t,0)=B/G fits in with the solution. Can someone help?

Related to Solving PDEs with Initial & Boundary Conditions

1. What are PDEs?

PDEs, or partial differential equations, are mathematical equations that involve multiple variables and their partial derivatives. They are used to model relationships between functions and their rates of change.

2. What are initial conditions?

Initial conditions refer to the values of the dependent variables in a PDE at a specific point in time or space. These values are used to solve the PDE and determine the behavior of the system over time.

3. What are boundary conditions?

Boundary conditions refer to the values of the dependent variables at the boundaries of the system. These values are used to constrain the solution and ensure that it is physically meaningful.

4. How do initial and boundary conditions affect the solution of a PDE?

Initial and boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the unique solution to a PDE. They provide information about the behavior of the system at specific points in time or space, which helps to narrow down the possible solutions to the PDE.

5. What methods are commonly used to solve PDEs with initial and boundary conditions?

There are various methods for solving PDEs with initial and boundary conditions, including separation of variables, Fourier series, and numerical methods such as finite difference and finite element methods. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the PDE and the specific problem being solved.