Transfer function with initial conditions (DE)

In summary, this post helps me somewhat understand how to use a transfer function, but I still need more help.
MechEEE
I have a differential equation of the form y''(t)+y'(t)+y(t)+C = 0. I think this implies that there are non-zero initial conditions. Is it possible to write a transfer function for this system?
This post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/transfer-function-with-non-zero-initial-conditions.852028/
sort of helps me, but I still need more help. How to actually use this method to write a transfer function? I don't see how to continue with the suggested substitution there, either, if that is part of the strategy. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. Is this question for your schoolwork?

No, not for schoolwork. I'm getting ahead at my workplace and trying some self-learning.

Likes berkeman
Okay, but even self-study questions go in our schoowork forums. I'll move your thread there now. You will get good help as long as you show good efforts.

I'm curious -- why do you say that the form of that differential equation suggests non-zero initial conditions?

berkeman said:
Okay, but even self-study questions go in our schoowork forums. I'll move your thread there now. You will get good help as long as you show good efforts.

I'm curious -- why do you say that the form of that differential equation suggests non-zero initial conditions?
I think because it can be re-written as y''(t)+y'(t)+y(t)+y(0) = 0, where y(0) evaluates to nonzero.

MechEEE said:
I have a differential equation of the form y''(t)+y'(t)+y(t)+C = 0. I think this implies that there are non-zero initial conditions.
If y(t) and it's derivatives were all 0 at t=0, you would be left with C=0. So, yes, I think the initial conditions are y''(0)+y'(0)+y(0) = -C.

MechEEE said:
Is it possible to write a transfer function for this system?
As I understand it transfer functions have an output divided by an input. So you could certainly take the laplace transform but what is the input in your case? This looks more like a transient response problem to me.

Yes, I see. I think I did intend to put an input in there. So let me re-formulate my equation as:
y''(t)+y'(t)+y(t)+C = u(t)
where u(t) is an input. If I take the laplace of both sides I get
s2Y(s)+sY(s)+Y(s)+(C/s) = U(s).
But now I have a term on the left side that doesn't have Y(s) in it, so I don't know how to solve for Y(s)/U(s) to get the transfer function. In all the examples I've seen, you can factor out a common Y(s) from the entire LHS to solve for Y(s)/U(s). Here I'm not sure what to with the C/s term that results from taking the laplace of that constant.

MechEEE said:
Yes, I see. I think I did intend to put an input in there. So let me re-formulate my equation as:
y''(t)+y'(t)+y(t)+C = u(t)
where u(t) is an input. If I take the laplace of both sides I get
s2Y(s)+sY(s)+Y(s)+(C/s) = U(s).
But now I have a term on the left side that doesn't have Y(s) in it, so I don't know how to solve for Y(s)/U(s) to get the transfer function. In all the examples I've seen, you can factor out a common Y(s) from the entire LHS to solve for Y(s)/U(s). Here I'm not sure what to with the C/s term that results from taking the laplace of that constant.
Ignore it. We set the ICs to zero for the transfer function. So you would normally think of a linear system as having a two part response; the transient response with ICs but no driving function, plus the driven response, with no ICs. In linear systems they don't affect each other.

Likes MechEEE
Thank you, DaveE.

Likes DaveE

Related to Transfer function with initial conditions (DE)

1. What is a transfer function with initial conditions?

A transfer function with initial conditions is a mathematical representation of a system's response to an input signal, taking into account the initial conditions of the system. It is commonly used in the field of control systems and signal processing to analyze and design systems.

2. How is a transfer function with initial conditions different from a regular transfer function?

A regular transfer function only considers the steady-state response of a system, whereas a transfer function with initial conditions takes into account the initial conditions of the system. This allows for a more accurate analysis of the system's behavior.

3. What are some common initial conditions in transfer functions?

Some common initial conditions in transfer functions include the initial value of the system's output, the initial value of the system's input, and the initial value of the system's derivative.

4. How are initial conditions incorporated into a transfer function?

Initial conditions are incorporated into a transfer function by adding additional terms to the numerator and denominator of the transfer function. These terms are usually in the form of exponential functions that represent the initial conditions of the system.

5. Why is it important to consider initial conditions in a transfer function?

It is important to consider initial conditions in a transfer function because they can significantly impact the behavior of a system. Neglecting initial conditions can lead to inaccurate analysis and design of systems, which can result in poor performance and instability.