Solving P(cotg x)^5: Can You Help Me Find the Primitive?

• Thread starter joao_pimentel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primitive
In summary, the conversation is about solving the problem P(cotg x)^5 step by step. One method is to use a reduction formula and repeatedly integrate by parts or substitution until the answer is reached. Another method involves rewriting the problem and using a u substitution. Both methods are effective in solving the problem.
joao_pimentel
Hi people

Can you kindly tell me how to solve P(cotg x)^5 step by step?

I made some calculation but I couldn't achieve any result

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
joao_pimentel said:
Hi people

Can you kindly tell me how to solve P(cotg x)^5 step by step?

I made some calculation but I couldn't achieve any result

Thank you :)

These types of problems usually require repeated integration by parts or substitution or, better, use of a reduction formula. A reduction formula looks like this:

[tex]\int \cot^n(ax)\, dx = -\frac{\cot^{n-1}(ax)}{a(n-1)} - \int\cot^{n-2}(ax)\, dx[/tex]

Once you show that you just use it repeatedly until n is small enough that you can finish the answer.

Try writing cotn(ax) as cotn-2(ax)(csc2(ax)-1) and use a u substitution to get the above identity. Then use it on your problem.

Thank you very much for your quick reply

I quite understood your answer and the reduction process, though I used another way to get the answer:

P(cotg(x)^5 ) = P (cos(x)^5/sen(x)^5) =
P( (cos(x).(1-sen(x)^2)^2) / sen(x)^5) =
P( cos(x)/sen(x)^5 - 2cos(x)sen(x)^2)/sen(x)^5 + cos(x)sen(x)^4/sen(x)^5)=
P(u'u^(-5) -2u'u^(-3)+u'u^(-1)) =
=-sen(x)^(-4)/4 +sen(x)^(-2) +log(|sen(x)

Thank you very much any way for your attention :)

kind regards

João

Related to Solving P(cotg x)^5: Can You Help Me Find the Primitive?

What is the primitive of (cotg x)^5?

The primitive of (cotg x)^5 is -1/4(cotg x)^4(x-cotg x^3). This can also be written as -1/4csc^4x(x-cotg x^3).

How do you find the primitive of (cotg x)^5?

To find the primitive of (cotg x)^5, you can use the integration by parts method or the substitution method. Both methods will result in the same answer.

What is the derivative of (cotg x)^5?

The derivative of (cotg x)^5 is -5(cotg x)^4(csc^2x). This can also be written as -5cotg x^4csc^2x.

Can the primitive of (cotg x)^5 be simplified?

Yes, the primitive of (cotg x)^5 can be simplified using trigonometric identities. It can also be written in terms of sine and cosine functions.

Is there a general formula for finding the primitive of (cotg x)^n?

Yes, there is a general formula for finding the primitive of (cotg x)^n. It is (-1/n+1)(cotg x)^n-1(x-cotg x^(n-2)). This can also be written as (-1/n+1)csc^n-2x(x-cotg x^(n-2)).