Solving ODE with Paper and Pencil: xy^2 - y = \frac {dy} {dx}

• Thread starter Neoma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the given ODE can be solved using the substitution method, which involves making the substitution y(x) = 1/u(x). This reduces the ODE to a first order linear ODE, which can then be solved using an integrating factor. This method is known as the Bernoulli ODE or Ricatti ODE with no constant term.
Neoma
[tex]\frac {dy} {dx} = x y^2 - y[/tex]

I used Mathematica's DSolve function and found the correct answer:
[tex]y(x) = \frac {1} {1 + x + C e^{x}}[/tex]

However, I don't have any idea what method to use to solve it with pencil and paper...

Physics news on Phys.org
I cheated,i know;i probably wouldn't have seen it,if you hadn't provided the answer.

Make the substitution:

[tex] y(x)=\frac{1}{u(x)} [/tex]

I believe you'll like the ODE that comes out.

Daniel.

I wasn't familiar with the substitution method yet, so I looked it up after reading your post and it looks quite elegant :)

Thanks!

Just to put this problem in a general context, it's form is:

[tex]\frac {dy} {dx} = a(x) y + b(x) y^p[/tex]

Which is a Bernoulli ODE (or a Ricatti with no constant term).

The substitution:

[tex] u(x) = y^{1-p} [/tex]

reduces this to a first order linear ODE which can be solved in the usual way via an integrating factor.

Related to Solving ODE with Paper and Pencil: xy^2 - y = \frac {dy} {dx}

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that represents the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more independent variables and their corresponding derivatives.

2. How do you solve an ODE with paper and pencil?

To solve an ODE with paper and pencil, you need to use various methods and techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration. You will also need to understand the properties of derivatives and how they relate to the original function.

3. What is the specific ODE in this equation?

The specific ODE in this equation is a first-order, separable ODE. This means that the highest order of derivative is one and the equation can be separated into two parts, one with only the dependent variable and the other with only the independent variable.

4. What is the significance of the constants in ODEs?

The constants in ODEs represent the initial conditions or parameters of the equation. They can help determine the specific solution to the ODE and can provide insight into the behavior of the function.

5. Can all ODEs be solved with paper and pencil?

No, not all ODEs can be solved with paper and pencil. Some ODEs are too complex and require numerical methods or computer software to find a solution. Additionally, some ODEs do not have analytical solutions and can only be solved numerically.