Solving ODE with Frobenius Method

• Thread starter roughwinds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode Series
In summary, the conversation involves solving for the function y in the differential equation xy'' + y' + αy + βxy = 0, where α and β are constants. The attempt at a solution involves using the Frobenius method to find a recurrence relation for the coefficients of y. However, the attempt ends with a system of equations that cannot be solved. The conversation ends with the speaker attempting to find a pattern in the coefficients, but being unable to do so.
roughwinds

Homework Statement

Solve for
[tex]xy'' + y' +αy + βxy = 0[/tex]

α and β are constants

The Attempt at a Solution

What I initially had in mind was:
[tex]xy'' + y' +αy + βxy = x²y'' + xy' +αxy + βx²y = 0[/tex]
[tex]y = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^{n}[/tex]
[tex]xy = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^{n+1} = \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_{n-1} x^{n} = a_0x + \sum_{n=2}^\infty a_{n-1} x^{n}[/tex]
[tex]x²y = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^{n+2} = \sum_{n=2}^\infty a_{n-2} x^{n}[/tex]
[tex]y' = \sum_{n=1}^\infty na_n x^{n-1}[/tex]
[tex]xy' = \sum_{n=1}^\infty na_n x^{n} = a_1x + \sum_{n=2}^\infty na_n x^{n}[/tex]
[tex]y'' = \sum_{n=2}^\infty n(n-1)a_n x^{n-2}[/tex]
[tex]xy'' = \sum_{n=2}^\infty n(n-1)a_n x^{n}[/tex]
[tex]a_0x + a_1x +\sum_{n=2}^\infty[n(n-1)a_n + na_n + αa_{n-1} + βa_{n-2}]x^{n} = 0 [/tex]
[tex]a_1 = - a_0[/tex]
Recurrence relation for n ≥ 2:
[tex]a_n = \frac {-(αa_{n-1}+βa_{n-2})}{n(n-1)+n}[/tex]
[tex]a_n = \frac {-(αa_{n-1}+βa_{n-2})}{n²}[/tex]
[tex]a_2 = \frac {-(αa_{1}+βa_{0})}{4} = \frac {αa_{0}-βa_{0}}{4} = \frac {(α-β)a_{0}}{4}[/tex]
[tex]a_3 = \frac {-(αa_{2}+βa_{1})}{9} = \frac {-α\frac {(α-β)a_{0}}{4}+βa_{0}}{9} = \frac {(4β + αβ - α^{2})a_0}{36}[/tex]
[tex]a_4 = \frac {-(αa_{3}+βa_{2})}{16} =\frac {(9αβ - 9β^{2} + 4αβ - α^{3} + α^{2}β)a_0}{576} [/tex]
Sadly I can't see how to proceed from here. Did I mess anything up?

Apparently this has to be solved with Frobenius, I'll edit this thread later with another attempt at this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Frobenius attempt:
[tex]y = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^{n+r}[/tex]
[tex]y' = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n(n+r) x^{n+r-1}[/tex]
[tex]y'' = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n(n+r)(n+r-1) x^{n+r-2}[/tex]
[tex]x²y'' = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n(n+r)(n+r-1) x^{n+r} = a_0r(r-1)x^{r} + a_1r(r+1)x^{r+1} + \sum_{n=2}^\infty a_n(n+r)(n+r-1) x^{n+r}[/tex]
[tex]xy' = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n(n+r) x^{n+r} = a_0rx^{r} + a_1(r+1)x^{r+1} + \sum_{n=2}^\infty a_n(n+r) x^{n+r}[/tex]
[tex]xy = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^{n+r+1} = a_0x^{r+1} + \sum_{n=2}^\infty a_{n-1} x^{n+r}[/tex]
[tex]x²y = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^{n+r+2} = \sum_{n=2}^\infty a_{n-2} x^{n+r}[/tex]
[tex]a_0r(r-1)x^{r} + a_1r(r+1)x^{r+1} + a_0rx^{r} + a_1(r+1)x^{r+1} + αa_0x^{r+1} + \sum_{n=2}^\infty[a_n(n+r)(n+r-1) + a_n(n+r) + αa_{n-1} + βa_{n-2}]x^{n+r} [/tex]
[tex]a_n = \frac {-(αa_{n-1}+βa_{n-2})}{(n+r)^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]a_0r(r-1)x^{r} + a_1r(r+1)x^{r+1} + a_0rx^{r} + a_1(r+1)x^{r+1} + αa_0x^{r+1} = 0[/tex]
[tex]a_0r(r-1) + a_1r(r+1)x + a_0r + a_1(r+1)x + αa_0x = 0[/tex]
[tex]a_0[r(r-1) + r+αx ] + a_1[r(r+1)x +(r+1)x] = 0[/tex]
[tex]a_0[r²+αx ] + a_1x[(r+1)^{2}] = 0[/tex]
Then I get stuck. Is there any other method that can solve this kind of ODE?

roughwinds said:
$$a_0[r²+αx ] + a_1x[(r+1)^{2}] = 0$$
You want to collect powers of ##x##:
$$a_0 r^2 + [\alpha a_0 +(r+1)^2 a_1]x = 0.$$ For this to hold true for all values of ##x##, you require each term to vanish. That let's you solve for ##r## and ##a_1##. (I didn't check your algebra, but I didn't see any obvious mistakes.)

Likes roughwinds
vela said:
You want to collect powers of ##x##:
$$a_0 r^2 + [\alpha a_0 +(r+1)^2 a_1]x = 0.$$ For this to hold true for all values of ##x##, you require each term to vanish. That let's you solve for ##r## and ##a_1##. (I didn't check your algebra, but I didn't see any obvious mistakes.)
$$a_0 r^2 + [\alpha a_0 +(r+1)^2 a_1]x = 0$$
$$a_0r^2 = 0$$
$$r = 0$$
$$\alpha a_0 +(r+1)^2 a_1 = 0$$
$$a_1 = \frac{-\alpha a_0}{(r+1)^2} = -\alpha a_0$$
$$a_n = \frac {-(αa_{n-1}+βa_{n-2})}{(n+r)^{2}}$$
$$a_n = \frac {-(αa_{n-1}+βa_{n-2})}{n^{2}}$$
$$a_2 = \frac {(α^{2}+β)a_0}{4}$$
$$a_3 = \frac {(5αβ -α^{3})a_0}{9*4}$$
$$a_4 = \frac {(α^{4} -6α^{2}β -β^{2})a_0}{16*9*4}$$
The denominators seems to follow the pattern:
$$n^{2}*(n-1)^{2}*(n-2)^{2}*...*9*4$$
But I can't see any with the numerators.
I'll double check everything.

Related to Solving ODE with Frobenius Method

1. What is a series solution to an ODE?

A series solution to an ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a method of finding an approximate solution by expanding it as a power series. This involves expressing the solution as a sum of infinitely many terms, each of which contains higher and higher powers of the independent variable.

2. When is a series solution useful?

A series solution is useful when an exact solution to an ODE cannot be found. It is also useful when the ODE is too complex to be solved by other methods, such as separation of variables or variation of parameters.

3. How is a series solution obtained?

A series solution is obtained by substituting the power series into the ODE and solving for the coefficients of each term. This is done by equating coefficients of the same power of the independent variable on both sides of the equation.

4. What are the advantages of using a series solution?

One advantage of using a series solution is that it can provide an approximation to the exact solution of an ODE. It also allows for the solution to be expressed as a sum of terms, making it easier to analyze and manipulate. Additionally, series solutions can be used to find a general solution to a family of ODEs.

5. What are the limitations of series solutions to ODEs?

Series solutions are only applicable to a limited range of ODEs, particularly those that can be expressed as power series. They also rely on the assumption that the solution is analytic (smooth and continuous), which may not always be the case. Additionally, finding the coefficients of the series can be a time-consuming process, especially for higher order ODEs.