Solving Logic Problem: Pizza & Students

• Thread starter ur5pointos2sl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the problem states that A is the universal quantifier and M is the existential quantifier. The predicates used are S(x) for 'x is a student', L(x, y) for 'x likes y', and E(x, y) for 'x eats y'. The statements are written as Ax (S(x) -> E(x, p)) for 'All students eat pizza' and "If a person eats pizza, that person is a student" for 'Only students eat pizza'.
ur5pointos2sl
I have a problem that states:

Write each english sentence in symbolic form using the following predicates:
m = Melissa
p = Pizza

S(x) = ' x is a student '
L(x, y) = ' x likes y '
E(x, y) = ' x eats y '

Take A as the universal quantifier in this problem and M as the existential quantifier since E is already being used.

I know that when:
a) All students eat pizza. I get this Ax (S(x) -> E(x, p) )

but when
b) Only students eat pizza.

I get confused when the word only is used. Is there a better way to view this sentence that would make it more obvious what the answer would be?

Physics news on Phys.org

Maybe try to say "anybody who eats pizza must be a student"...

"If a person eats pizza, that person is a student".

micromass said:
Maybe try to say "anybody who eats pizza must be a student"...

HallsofIvy said:
"If a person eats pizza, that person is a student".

Thanks!

Related to Solving Logic Problem: Pizza & Students

1. How do I approach solving a logic problem?

When solving a logic problem, it is important to read carefully and understand the given information. Then, make a list of all the known facts and identify any patterns or relationships. From there, use logical reasoning to eliminate possibilities and make deductions until a solution is reached.

2. What is the best way to organize information when solving a logic problem?

One helpful strategy is to create a table or chart to visually represent the given information. This can help to identify connections and track the process of elimination. Another method is to use diagrams or symbols to represent the relationships between different elements in the problem.

3. How can I check my answer to a logic problem?

To check your answer, go back through the problem and make sure that all the given information is accounted for and that your solution follows logical reasoning. If possible, try plugging your answer into the problem to see if it satisfies all the given conditions.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a difficult logic problem?

If you are struggling with a logic problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try working backwards from the given solution to see how the problem was solved. Additionally, asking a friend or colleague for help or seeking out online resources may provide new insights.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve a logic problem?

In most cases, a calculator is not necessary for solving a logic problem. These types of problems typically involve logical reasoning and deduction rather than numerical calculations. However, a calculator may be useful for checking calculations or converting units of measurement if needed.