Restriction with Multiple Quantifiers

• Thread starter Joseph1739
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
That something is that there exists a y such that it is an upper-level course and x is taking it. That's what the answer expression says.
Joseph1739

Homework Statement

In the questions below suppose the variable x represents students and y represents courses, and: U(y): y is an upper-level course M(y): y is a math course F(x): x is a freshman A(x): x is a part-time student T(x,y): student x is taking course y. Write the statement using these predicates and any needed quantifiers.

1. There is a part-time student who is not taking any math course. Answer: ∃x∀y[A(x) ∧ (M(y) → ¬T(x,y))].

2. Every part-time freshman is taking some upper-level course. Answer: ∀x∃y[(F(x) ∧ A(x)) → (U(y) ∧ T(x,y))].

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble rewriting statements using predicates and quantifiers. I can't seem to find much information on restricted quantifiers especially with multiple quantifiers.

It seems like the whole purpose of restricted quantifiers is to minimize the domain when rewriting the statements, but I can't seem to translate it well.

I believe I understand the first one:
There exists a student x, that for all courses y, if x is a part time student and y is a math course, then x is not taking course y. So the "If" portion minimizes the domain.

The second one is where I get lost. I thought the answer would be:
∀x∃y[(F(x) ∧ A(x)) ∧ U(y) → T(x,y)]
For all students x, there exists a course y such that if x is a freshmen and x is a part-time student and y is a upper-level course, then x is taking y. I don't understand why this is not correct. The "if" restricts the domain to part-time, freshmen and upper level courses.

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement you wrote would be correct, by vacuous implication, if there is an upper-level course that is not taken by any part-time freshman. To see this, consider the simplest case where the only student is a part-time freshman, the only course is upper-level, and the student doesn't take any courses. That satisfies your expression, but not the original statement or the answer expression.

For the second statement, your qualifier on the domain is referring to x, not y. y should be moved to the right.
Essentially, you want to say that for all x such that x is a part-time freshman, ... something about y.

Related to Restriction with Multiple Quantifiers

1. What is the purpose of restriction with multiple quantifiers?

The purpose of restriction with multiple quantifiers is to specify the conditions under which a statement is true. It allows for the combination of two or more quantifiers (such as "for all" and "there exists") to create a more complex statement that accurately describes a situation or problem.

2. How do you know when to use restriction with multiple quantifiers?

Restriction with multiple quantifiers is typically used when solving problems that involve multiple variables and conditions. It is also commonly used in mathematics and logic to express complex ideas and relationships between different elements.

3. Can you provide an example of restriction with multiple quantifiers?

One example of restriction with multiple quantifiers is the statement "For all x, there exists y such that x + y = 10." This statement combines the quantifiers "for all" and "there exists" to specify that for any value of x, there is a corresponding value of y that will result in a sum of 10.

4. What is the difference between unrestricted and restricted quantifiers?

Unrestricted quantifiers, such as "for all" and "there exists," do not have any limitations or conditions placed on them. On the other hand, restricted quantifiers, such as "for all x such that" and "there exists y which satisfies," specify certain conditions that must be met in order for the statement to be true.

5. Are there any common errors to watch out for when using restriction with multiple quantifiers?

One common error to watch out for when using restriction with multiple quantifiers is to confuse the order of the quantifiers. For example, "there exists x such that for all y" is not the same as "for all y there exists x." It is important to pay attention to the placement and order of the quantifiers to accurately express the intended statement.