Solving Likelihood Questions in Soccer: Team A and B

• Thread starter Pyroadept
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Likelihood
In summary, the conversation is discussing a max likelihood question regarding two games of soccer between Team A and Team B. The scores for each game are given and the goal scoring rates for each half are specified for both teams. The goal is to obtain the liklihood of the match results, determine the estimates of α and β, and obtain values for these variables. There is a question about the approach being used and the correctness of substituting α and 2α for the rate parameter λ.
Pyroadept

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,
I'm working through some max likelihood questions and am badly stuck on this one. Please could you take a look at what I'm doing and tell me if I'm going in the right direction?

Q. Team A and B play two games of soccer, each game having two halves of equal length. Assume the number of goals are independent of the other team's score and of their own score in the other half. The scores are as follows:

A B
4-1, with 2-0 at half time
3-1, with 1-1 at half time

Suppose A score at a rate 2α in the first half and at rate α in the second half and B score at a rate β in the first half and at rate 2β in the second half.

(i) Obtain the liklihood of the match results given about under this model.
(ii) Show that the estimates of α and β depend only on the total number of goals scored by a team and thus that the halftime scores are irrelevant.
(iii) Obtain values for α and β.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution so far:

First consider team A.
For the first half of A's games, λ = 2α
For the second half of A's games, λ = α

The two halves are independent, so we can combine the Poissons to get: (e^-3α)((3α)^x)/x!

but if we take the pdfs of the two halves and combine by multiplying, we get:

(e^-2α)((2α)^x)/x!*(e^-α)((α)^x)/x!

which is not the same...

I'm fairly certain what I'm doing so far is incorrect. Is this even the right model? Am I correct in substituting the α and 2α for the λ?
I would really appreciate any pointers or tips in the right direction.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
you have 2 separate pieces of data for each team, goals in first half, say x, and goals in second half, say y,
come up with an equation
p(x,y|a) then maximize wrt a

Related to Solving Likelihood Questions in Soccer: Team A and B

1. What is the likelihood of Team A winning against Team B?

The likelihood of Team A winning against Team B depends on several factors such as their previous performance, players' strengths and weaknesses, and current form. It is difficult to determine the exact likelihood without considering these factors.

2. How can we calculate the likelihood of a draw between Team A and Team B?

The likelihood of a draw can be calculated by comparing the statistics of Team A and Team B, such as their past performances, head-to-head record, and current standings. Additionally, mathematical models like Poisson distribution can also be used to estimate the likelihood of a draw.

3. Is there a way to increase the likelihood of Team A winning against Team B?

There is no surefire way to increase the likelihood of Team A winning against Team B. However, analyzing data and statistics, identifying strengths and weaknesses, and developing effective strategies can potentially increase the likelihood of a win.

4. How do weather conditions affect the likelihood of a win for Team A or Team B?

Weather conditions can have a significant impact on the performance of soccer teams. For instance, heavy rain or snow can make the pitch slippery and affect players' ability to control the ball. Extreme heat or cold can also affect players' stamina and endurance. Therefore, weather conditions should be considered while calculating the likelihood of a win for Team A or Team B.

5. Can we use historical data to predict the likelihood of Team A or Team B winning a future match?

Yes, historical data can be used to predict the likelihood of Team A or Team B winning a future match. However, it is important to note that past performances do not guarantee future results. Other factors such as team dynamics, injuries, and current form should also be taken into consideration while making predictions.