Solving Integration by Parts with a Reduction Formula

In summary, the speaker is asking for help with using integration by parts to prove a reduction formula. They are confused about the format of the formula and how to approach it, but the other person suggests using integration by parts and offers a starting point for the solution.
Slimsta

Homework Statement

Use integration by parts to prove the reduction formula:
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1234/24206074.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what confuses me about this question is that its not in the form sqrt(a2 + x2) but its in ^n instead of sqrt.. so how do i do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you elaborate more on why that confuses you? It seems a is a constant and x is the variable to start off. n also has to be a constant. Just do integration by parts, just like you pointed out in the title. Do you remember how to do integration by parts? I'll start you off, dx will be dv in the Integration by parts equation and the rest will be u.

Related to Solving Integration by Parts with a Reduction Formula

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions that cannot be easily integrated. It involves the use of the product rule for differentiation.

When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts should be used when the integral of a product of functions cannot be easily evaluated using other integration techniques such as substitution or trigonometric identities.

How do I use integration by parts?

To use integration by parts, you must first identify the two functions in the integrand and assign one as u and the other as dv. Then, you can use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du to find the integral.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. This formula is derived from the product rule for differentiation.

What are some tips for solving integration by parts problems?

Some tips for solving integration by parts problems include choosing u and dv carefully, trying different combinations of u and dv if the first attempt does not work, and simplifying the integrand before using the formula.