Solving integration by parts using derivatives vs differentials?

In summary, the conversation was about the difference between solving integration by parts using differentials and using functions and derivatives. One person received a thumbs down for using the differential method, which they didn't understand why since they thought both methods were valid. They also mentioned that they rarely give thumbs down and only do so for certain reasons. The person who gave the thumbs down explained that using functions and derivatives is considered more elegant and easier to remember, but the original person found it to be just a typo in their answer.
thepatient
What is the difference? I was pretty bored last night so I got onto Yahoo Answers and answered a few calculus questions. It was a simple integration by parts question:

[itex]\int[/itex]xsin(x) dx

I solved as:
u = x
du = dx

dv = sin(x) dx
v = -cos(x)

uv - [itex]\int[/itex]vdu
-xcos(x) + [itex]\int[/itex]cos(x)dx = sin(x) - xcos(x) + c

I later got a thumbs down by a second answerer, saying that solving using differentials is much more difficult to do, and that it's preferable to answer using derivatives.

I don't understand. I mean, I know how to solve using derivatives and functions instead of differentials, but how is it more difficult, and how is it the wrong approach? It just kept bugging me all night since I have always solved in this form and never thought it was wrong or difficult. There is no big difference solving with functions either:

[itex]\int[/itex] f'(x)g(x) dx = f(x)g(x) - [itex]\int[/itex]f(x)g'(x)dx

Only that you choose for a function and a derivative of a function. Am I missing something fundamental? Maybe I'm being too sensitive. I don't like getting thumbs down when I know I did something right. :( lol Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the person who* thumbed you down wasn't sane lol

Last edited:
I didn't thumb him down, he thumbed me down because I used a "more difficult approach". :( I believed him since he is a "top contributor", but I don't see how it's a more difficult approach. I just really feel I'm missing something.

I rarely thumb down. Only used it for things that don't answer a question, spam, trolls and very very very bad answers. XD

It was a typo xP
I believe both work well. And in mathematics it's useless to talk about preferred arguments I think. we got valid and invalid arguments. if your argument is valid, then who cares if there is an easier valid argument? both methods work fine and just because one method is few lines longer it doesn't make it an inferior or less preferred method.
I also like easy and beautiful proofs. but it doesn't mean that if you prove something in a way that someone doesn't prefer it he should thumb you down.

Ah... I messaged him and found out why he said such thing.. Apparently it is more difficult because you might forget the dx on the notation. And using functions and derivatives is more elegant, according to him. I didn't argue. I looked at my answer and did make a mistake on the notation and added an extra dx accidentally. Just a typo. XD

Related to Solving integration by parts using derivatives vs differentials?

1. How do derivatives and differentials differ in solving integration by parts?

Derivatives and differentials are both techniques used in solving integration by parts. The main difference between them is that derivatives involve finding the rate of change of a function, while differentials involve finding the infinitesimal change of a function. In integration by parts, derivatives are used to simplify the original integral, while differentials are used to express the integral in a different form.

2. Which method is more efficient in solving integration by parts?

Both derivatives and differentials can be efficient in solving integration by parts depending on the complexity of the integral. In some cases, derivatives may lead to a simpler integral, while in others, differentials may be more effective. It is important to understand both techniques and use the one that best suits the given problem.

3. Can derivatives and differentials be used interchangeably in integration by parts?

No, derivatives and differentials cannot be used interchangeably in integration by parts. Each technique has its own purpose and cannot be substituted for the other. It is essential to understand the concept and apply the correct technique in order to solve the integral correctly.

4. Are there any specific rules for using derivatives and differentials in integration by parts?

Yes, there are certain rules that need to be followed when using derivatives and differentials in integration by parts. These include determining the correct functions to differentiate and integrate, using the correct notation for derivatives and differentials, and understanding the relationship between the two techniques.

5. Can integration by parts be solved without using derivatives or differentials?

No, integration by parts cannot be solved without using derivatives or differentials. These techniques are essential in simplifying the integral and expressing it in a different form. Without them, the integration process may become more complicated and difficult to solve.