Solving Integral with Logarithm Identity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a specific integral identity to solve a given integral involving timelike four-vectors. The first part of the integral is split into two parts and solved using the identity, but the second part is more difficult due to the presence of a square in the logarithm. The conversation explores various methods to solve this part, ultimately finding that the integral evaluates to zero. Additionally, the conversation mentions the search for a collection of integral identities in a book or other resource.
parton
I read the following expression in a book:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{t(1-t)} \log \left| \dfrac{t^{2} q^{2}}{(p-tq)^{2}} \right| ~ dt = - \pi^{2} [/tex]

p and q are both timelike four-vectors, so p², q² > 0

This integral was solved by using the identity

[tex] \lim_{s \to \infty} \int_{-s}^{s} \dfrac{\log \vert t-a \vert}{t-b} ~ dt = \dfrac{\pi^{2}}{2} sign(b - a) [/tex]

But I don't know how I can apply this identity to the integral above. I don't find any substitution or anything else to 'convert' the integral
in such a shape where I can use these formula.

Could anyone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi parton! :smile:

Try splitting the 1/t(1-t) in particle fractions, and the log into the difference of two logs, and then apply the identity several times. :wink:

Hi tiny-tim ! Thanks for your answer :smile:

I tried to split the integral as you suggested:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{t(1-t)} \log \left| \dfrac{t^{2} q^{2}}{(p-tq)^{2}} \right| ~ dt = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left[ \dfrac{1}{t} - \dfrac{1}{t-1} \right] \left[ \log \vert t^{2} q^{2} \vert - \log \vert (p-tq)^{2} \vert \right] ~ dt [/tex]

For the first part, I've got:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left[ \dfrac{1}{t} - \dfrac{1}{t-1} \right] \log \vert t^{2} q^{2} \vert \right] ~ dt= - \pi^{2} [/tex]

Here, I decomposed the logarithm again, i.e.

[tex] \log \vert t^{2} q^{2} \vert^{2} = 2 \log \vert t \vert + \log \vert q^{2} \vert [/tex]

I just used the identity for computing
[tex] - 2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{t-1} \log \vert t \vert = - \pi^{2} [/tex]

The other integrals coming from this part will vanish, for example:

[tex] 2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{t} \log \vert t \vert ~ dt = \left[ \log \left( \vert t \vert \right) ^{2} \right]_{-\infty}^{\infty} = 0 [/tex]

I argued that: [tex] \left[ \log \left( \vert t \vert \right) ^{2} \right]_{-s}^{s} = 0 [/tex], so it has also to be valid for s--> infinity. But I'm not sure wheter this argument is correct.

Nevertheless, I don't know how to compute the second part of the originial integral:

[tex] - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left[ \dfrac{1}{t} - \dfrac{1}{t-1} \right] \log \vert (p-tq)^{2} \vert ~ dt [/tex]

There is this nasty square appearing in the logarithm, and now I don't know how to continue :confused:

To you know some way to solve this?

parton said:
There is this nasty square appearing in the logarithm, and now I don't know how to continue :confused:
Don't you know something about log xe?

Don't you know something about log xe?

ok, maybe I could simply write:

[tex] -\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left[ \dfrac{1}{t} - \dfrac{1}{t-1} \right] \log \vert (p-tq)^{2} \vert ~ dt = -2 \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left[ \dfrac{1}{t} - \dfrac{1}{t-1} \right] \log \vert p -t q \vert ~ dt [/tex]

But how do I solve that? p and q are four-vectors, so I can't simply apply a substitution !?

parton said:

To you know some way to solve this?

Hi parton! :wink:

The difficulty is that p and q are 4-vectors.

But (p - tq)2 is a quadratic in t (with coefficients which are combinations of the coordinates of p and q), so it must be of the form (t - a)(t - b), where (p - aq)2 = (p - bq)2 = 0.

Does that help? :smile:

Yes, it does help, thanks a lot :smile:

So, I wrote:

[tex] (p-tq)^{2} = (t-t_{1}) (t-t_{2}) [/tex]

where [tex] t_{1,2} = \dfrac{1}{q^{2}} \left[ pq \pm \sqrt{ (pq)^{2} - p^{2} q^{2} } \right] [/tex]

And I've got:

[tex] - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{t} \left[ \log \vert t - t_{1} \vert + \log \vert t - t_{2} \vert \right] = - \dfrac{\pi^{2}}{2} \left[ sign(-t_{1}) + sign(-t_{2}) \right] = 0 [/tex]

This is of course equal to zero, because of the opposite signs of [tex] t_{1} [/tex] and [tex] t_{2} [/tex].

But the next one isn't so easy:

[tex] + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{t-1} \left[ \log \vert t - t_{1} \vert + \log \vert t - t_{2} \vert \right] = \dfrac{\pi^{2}}{2} \left[ sign(1-t_{1}) + sign(1-t_{2}) \right] [/tex]

Ok, I know that if [tex] t_{2} < 0 \Rightarrow 1-t_{2} >0 \Rightarrow sign(1-t_{2}) = 1 [/tex]

But what is [tex] sign(1-t_{1}) [/tex] ?

sorry, I made a mistake.

The equation above is not equal to zero.

If I choose a frame where [tex] p = (p_{0}, \vec{0}) [/tex] than I have:

[tex] t_{1,2} = \dfrac{p_{0}}{q^{2}} \left[ q^{0} \pm \vert \vec{q} \vert \right] < 0 [/tex] because of [tex] q^{2} = q_{0}^{2} - \vec{q} \, ^{2} > 0 [/tex] and [tex] q_{0} < 0 [/tex].

So I obtain:

[tex] - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{t} \left[ \log \vert t - t_{1} \vert + \log \vert t - t_{2} \vert \right] ~ dt = - \dfrac{\pi^{2}}{2} \left[ sign(-t_{1}) + sign(-t_{2}) \right] = - \pi^{2} [/tex]

and

[tex] + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \dfrac{1}{t-1} \left[ \log \vert t - t_{1} \vert + \log \vert t - t_{2} \vert \right] ~ dt = \dfrac{\pi^{2}}{2} \left[ sign(1-t_{1}) + sign(1-t_{2}) \right] = \pi^{2} [/tex]

and finally:

[tex] -\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \left[ \dfrac{1}{t} - \dfrac{1}{t-1} \right] \log \vert (p-tq)^{2} \vert ~ dt = 0 [/tex]

Is anything wrong in my argumentation or is it correct?

Last edited:
By the way,

does anyone know where I can find such identities like

[tex] \lim_{s \to \infty} \int_{-s}^{s} \dfrac{\log \vert t-a \vert}{t-b} ~ dt = \dfrac{\pi^{2}}{2} sign(b - a) [/tex]

Is there any book where such formulas are "collected"? I looked in different tables of integrals, but couldn't find them.

Related to Solving Integral with Logarithm Identity

1. What is the basic concept behind solving integrals with logarithm identity?

The basic concept behind solving integrals with logarithm identity is to use the properties of logarithms to simplify the integral into a more manageable form. This can help to make the integration process easier and more efficient.

2. How do I identify an integral that can be solved using logarithm identity?

An integral that can be solved using logarithm identity will typically involve a logarithmic function and one or more algebraic terms. It may also involve a variable raised to a power, such as x^2 or x^3.

3. What are the steps to solving an integral with logarithm identity?

The steps to solving an integral with logarithm identity include identifying the appropriate logarithmic property to use, simplifying the integral using that property, and then applying basic integration techniques to evaluate the integral.

4. Are there any special cases or exceptions when solving integrals with logarithm identity?

Yes, there are some special cases or exceptions when solving integrals with logarithm identity. For example, if the logarithmic function is raised to a power, the power rule for logarithms must be used instead of the basic logarithm identity.

5. Can solving integrals with logarithm identity be used for all types of integrals?

No, solving integrals with logarithm identity is not applicable to all types of integrals. It is most commonly used for integrals involving logarithmic and algebraic functions, but may not be effective for other types of integrals such as trigonometric or exponential functions.