Solving Initial Value Problem with Implicit Solution

In summary, the problem requires solving the initial value problem (y+e^-y)y'=sinx with the initial condition y(pi)=0. The attempt at solving it involved using separation of variables and creating an integrating factor, but the solution could not be found as an explicit function of x. It is possible to give the solution implicitly as long as it satisfies the differential equation and initial condition.
jgiarrusso

Homework Statement

Solve the initial value problem (y+e^-y)y'=sinx subject to y(pi)=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure what to do with this one. I've scanned through my book and could find no similar problems in what we've done so far. I tried to plug in dy/dx for y' and use separation of variables, but then I get stuck unable to solve for y after integrating. I cannot seem to find a way to set this one up to create an integrating factor either. If someone could nudge me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
jgiarrusso said:

Homework Statement

Solve the initial value problem (y+e^-y)y'=sinx subject to y(pi)=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure what to do with this one. I've scanned through my book and could find no similar problems in what we've done so far. I tried to plug in dy/dx for y' and use separation of variables, but then I get stuck unable to solve for y after integrating. I cannot seem to find a way to set this one up to create an integrating factor either. If someone could nudge me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I don't think you're going to be able to solve for y. I ended up with (1/2)y2 - e-y on one side, and a function of x on the other.

Sometimes it's not possible to give the solution as an explicit function of x (ie., as y = f(x)), so the solution is given implicitly.

As long as your equation satisfies the DE (you'll need to use implicit differentiation to solve for dy/dx) and initial condition, you're good.

Related to Solving Initial Value Problem with Implicit Solution

What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding a function that satisfies a given set of initial conditions. These conditions usually include a starting point or value and a slope or rate of change at that point. Solving an initial value problem involves finding a function that satisfies both the equation and the initial conditions.

What are some common methods for solving initial value problems?

There are several methods for solving initial value problems, including the Euler method, the Runge-Kutta method, and the Picard iteration method. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific initial value problem being solved.

Why is solving initial value problems important?

Initial value problems are important in many areas of science and engineering, as they allow for the prediction and analysis of systems that change over time. This includes areas such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. Solving initial value problems can help us understand the behavior of these systems and make predictions about their future states.

What are the steps for solving an initial value problem?

The general steps for solving an initial value problem are:

1. Express the problem as a differential equation.
  2. Determine the order of the differential equation.
  3. Find the general solution to the differential equation.
  4. Use the initial conditions to find the particular solution.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving initial value problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving initial value problems include not correctly identifying the order of the differential equation, not properly applying the initial conditions, and making calculation errors. It is also important to check the solution and make sure it satisfies both the equation and the initial conditions. Additionally, it is important to understand the limitations of the chosen method and to check for any extraneous solutions that may arise.