Solving Initial Value Problem: dy/dx = 3y^(2/3) ; y(0) = 0

In summary, the initial value problem dy/dx = 3y^(2/3) ; y(0) = 0 has two solutions: y = (x + C)^3 and y = 0. The uniqueness theorem states that, under certain conditions, a differential equation has a unique solution. In this case, the lack of "Lipschitz-ness" in the function f(x,y) = 3y^(2/3) at y = 0 means that there may be more than one solution. However, in this problem, the solution y = 0 is found by inspection. It is also possible to show that y = x^3 is a solution.
kasse
Homework Statement

Find the two solutions of the initial value problem

dy/dx = 3y^(2/3) ; y(0) = 0

The attempt at a solution

I integrate to find the general solution

y = (x + C)^3

c=0 is obviously a solution, but I can't find the other one. The clue here is to find a value for c that fits into the equation 0 = c^3, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've got a massive cold today - and my brain's all fuzzy - but I think you should check your integration again...

It should be right now. Still can't find the solution.

How have you integrated the equation? Have you separated the equation into the form?
[tex]\int f(y) dy = \int g(x) dx [/tex]

If not, I suggest doing so, and posting your attempts

This diff.eq violates the conditions required in the uniqueness theorem, and has, in fact, an infinite number of solutions.

arildno said:
This diff.eq violates the conditions required in the uniqueness theorem, and has, in fact, an infinite number of solutions.

What is the uniqueness theorem about? I think it's explained in a bad way in my book. Du kan forklare på norsk hvis du vil.

Last edited:
Uh, it's about uniqueness? If your book doesn't mention that, yes, it's "explained in a bad way"!:rolleyes: Essentially, the "fundamental existence and uniqueness theorem" for initial value problems says that if f(x,y) is continuous and "Lipshchitz" (many textbooks use the simpler, "sufficient but not necessary" condition "continuously differentiable") on some neighborhood of (x0,y0), then the differential equation dy/dx= f(x,y) has a unique solution satisfying y(x0)= y0.

It is possible to show, but isn't normally done in elementary courses, that "continuous" is sufficient to show existence of a solution, "Lipschitz" is necessary for "uniqueness".

Here, dy/dx= 3y2/3. Then y-2/3dy= 3dx. Integrating that, 3y1/3= 3x+ C' or y1/3= x+ C (C= C'/3.) And so y= (x+C)3 just as you say. In particular, if you take C= 0 then y(0)= 0 so y= x3 satisfies your differential equation. However, since (2y2/3)y= (1/3)y-1/3 does not exist at y= 0 so f(x,y) is neither differentiable nor Lipschitz in a neighborhood of (0,0) and that solution may not be "unique".

In fact, there is an obvious, very simple function that satisfies dy/dx= y2/3, y(0)= 0! (What is the derivative of a constant function?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I see. So y(x) = 0 is a solution. I guess that must be figured out by inspection.

But are there more than these two solutions?

And with "Lipshchitz" you mean that the second derivative is differentiable?

Last edited:

Related to Solving Initial Value Problem: dy/dx = 3y^(2/3) ; y(0) = 0

1. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding a function that satisfies both the equation and an initial condition, typically given as the value of the function at a specific point. In this case, the initial condition is y(0) = 0.

2. What is the solution to the given initial value problem?

The solution to the given initial value problem is y = (x/9)^3, where x is the independent variable. This can be found by integrating both sides of the equation and using the initial condition to solve for the constant of integration.

3. How do you solve for the constant of integration?

The constant of integration can be solved for by substituting the initial condition into the solution and solving for the constant. In this case, y(0) = 0, so the constant of integration is also 0.

4. Can this initial value problem be solved using separation of variables?

Yes, this initial value problem can be solved using separation of variables. The equation can be rewritten as dy/y^(2/3) = 3dx, and then integrated on both sides to obtain the solution.

5. Are there any other methods for solving this initial value problem?

Yes, there are other methods for solving this initial value problem, such as using the substitution method or using an integrating factor. However, separation of variables is the most commonly used method for this type of initial value problem.