Solving Heat Engine Questions: 156 Moles of Monatomic Ideal Gas

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a monatomic ideal gas in a Stirling cycle. The initial conditions of the gas are given and the cycle involves four steps with specific changes in temperature and volume. The questions being discussed are about the pressure of the gas, the energy transferred from the hot and cold reservoirs, the work done by the gas, and the efficiency of the cycle. The conversation also mentions the use of the 1st law and the assumption of reversible expansion and compression for certain steps. The solution to question 1 is provided, as well as the equations for questions 5 and 6. The conversation then moves on to discussing questions 2-4, which involve applying the 1st law and considering
neibegafig
Hi, I am hoping someone may be able to help me as i am quite stuck in this question.

Suppose that 156 moles of a monatomic ideal gas is initially contained in a piston with a volume of 0.5 m3 at a temperature of 384 K. The piston is connected to a hot reservoir with a temperature of 1112 K and a cold reservoir with a temperature of 384 K. The gas undergoes a quasi-static Stirling cycle with the following steps:

1.) The temperature of the gas is increased to 1112 K while maintaining a constant volume.
2.) The volume of the gas is increased to 2.5 m3 while maintaining a constant temperature.
3.) The temperature of the gas is decreased to 384 K while maintaining a constant volume.
4.) The volume of the gas is decreased to 0.5 m3 while maintaining a constant temperature.

It may help you to recall that CV = 12.47 J/K/mole for a monatomic ideal gas, Avagadros number (6.022E23) times the number of moles of the gas.

1) What is the pressure of the gas under its initial conditions?

2) How much energy is transferred into the gas from the hot reservoir?

3) How much energy is transferred out of the gas into the cold reservoir?

4) How much work is done by the gas during this cycle?

5) What is the efficiency of this Stirling cycle?

6) What is the maximum (Carnot) efficiency of a heat engine running between these two reservoirs?

for 1, 5, and 6 i Got just fine, 1 was Pi = nNkTi/Vi = 995604.48 Pa, 5 was stirling energy efficiency of ((Th-Tc)/Th) * NkLn5/(NkLn5 + Cv(Th-Tc)/Th) = 0.4065, and 6 was 1 - (Tc/Th) = 0.6546

I have some idea on getting 2,3, and 4 but I am stuck. I know that Q = nk(dT) + W where n is the number of moles, k is 1.381E-23, and dT is change in Temperature, I am stuck though as to what W is exactly and what the formula for it would be in the two situations (2, and 3). Would someone be able to help?

Physics news on Phys.org
To answer questions 2 - 4, you need to apply the 1st law. You also need to assume that the expansion in step 2 and the compression in step 4 occurs reversibly. In steps 2 and 4, if you maintain constant temperature, what does that tell you regarding the changes in internal energy? From this information about the changes in internal energy for these process steps, what does that tell you about the relationship between the work done on the surroundings W and the heat added to the system Q in these process steps?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
To answer questions 2 - 4, you need to apply the 1st law. You also need to assume that the expansion in step 2 and the compression in step 4 occurs reversibly. In steps 2 and 4, if you maintain constant temperature, what does that tell you regarding the changes in internal energy? From this information about the changes in internal energy for these process steps, what does that tell you about the relationship between the work done on the surroundings W and the heat added to the system Q in these process steps?

Chet

If i am getting this correctly then the change in internal energy is based on the pressure times the changes in volume (integral of pdv). If i got this right, the relationship between W and Q is that W is that integral of pdv (the change in volume from 0.5 to 2.5 from step 2) for energy going into gas? Or am i missing one more component?

neibegafig said:
If i am getting this correctly then the change in internal energy is based on the pressure times the changes in volume (integral of pdv). If i got this right, the relationship between W and Q is that W is that integral of pdv (the change in volume from 0.5 to 2.5 from step 2) for energy going into gas? Or am i missing one more component?

Yes. You're missing an important component. For an ideal gas, the internal energy is a function only of temperature, and, if the temperature is held constant, the change in internal energy is zero. That means the Q = W.

Chet

Hello, it seems like you have made good progress on this question so far. Let me provide some guidance on how to approach 2, 3, and 4.

2) To calculate the energy transferred into the gas from the hot reservoir, you can use the formula Q = nCvdT, where n is the number of moles, Cv is the specific heat at constant volume (12.47 J/K/mol for a monatomic ideal gas), and dT is the change in temperature. In this case, the temperature increases from 384 K to 1112 K, so dT = 728 K. Plugging in the values, we get Q = (156 mol)(12.47 J/K/mol)(728 K) = 1.45 x 10^6 J.

3) Similarly, to calculate the energy transferred out of the gas into the cold reservoir, we can use the same formula Q = nCvdT. In this case, the temperature decreases from 1112 K to 384 K, so dT = -728 K (negative because the temperature is decreasing). Plugging in the values, we get Q = (156 mol)(12.47 J/K/mol)(-728 K) = -1.45 x 10^6 J. Note that the negative sign indicates that energy is leaving the gas and being transferred to the cold reservoir.

4) To calculate the work done by the gas during the cycle, we can use the formula W = nRTln(Vf/Vi), where n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant (8.314 J/mol/K), T is the temperature at which the gas is expanding or compressing, and Vf and Vi are the final and initial volumes, respectively. In this case, we have two stages where the gas is expanding (steps 2 and 4) and two stages where it is compressing (steps 1 and 3). For step 2, T = 1112 K and Vf = 2.5 m^3, so W = (156 mol)(8.314 J/mol/K)(1112 K)ln(2.5/0.5) = 8.79 x 10^5 J. For step 4, T = 384 K and Vf = 0.5 m^3, so W = (156 mol)(8.314 J/mol/K)(

1. What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts thermal energy into mechanical work. It operates on the principles of the laws of thermodynamics and typically consists of a working substance, a source of heat, and a sink for heat to flow out.

2. How do you solve heat engine questions?

To solve heat engine questions, you need to apply the first and second laws of thermodynamics. This involves understanding the energy transfers and transformations within the system and using equations such as the ideal gas law and the efficiency formula for heat engines.

3. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a formula that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

4. How do you determine the number of moles of an ideal gas?

The number of moles of an ideal gas can be determined using the ideal gas law. Rearranging the equation to solve for n, we get n = PV/RT. Simply plug in the given values for pressure, volume, and temperature to calculate the number of moles.

5. What is the efficiency of a heat engine?

The efficiency of a heat engine is the ratio of the work output to the heat input. It can be calculated using the formula efficiency = (W/QH) x 100%, where W is the work output and QH is the heat input. The maximum efficiency of a heat engine is given by the Carnot efficiency, which is equal to 1 - (TL/TH), where TL is the temperature of the cold reservoir and TH is the temperature of the hot reservoir.