Solving Heat Added to Gas + Mass Density of a Gas

• Thread starter physicsgirl199
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Heat
In summary, the first problem involves finding the amount of heat needed for a gas at a certain temperature to be changed to a different temperature, while the second problem involves using the pressure and mass density of a gas to find its rms velocity. The equations used are E_thermal = 3/2nRT and v_rms = √(3k*T)/m.
physicsgirl199

Homework Statement

0.20 g of hydrogen gas are held in a rigid container. The temperature of the gas is changed from 200 K to 320 K. How much heat is needed

2) A gas at p = 80kPa and T = 350K has a mass density of 8.65×10−2kg/m3 . find the V_rms

Homework Equations

E_thermal = 3/2nRT

2) v_rms = √(3k*T)/m

The Attempt at a Solution

tried doing this equation and got an answer of 30 which is wrong, not really sure if I am even on the right track any guidance is appreciated!

im not even sure how to start this problem, I am not sure the reason mass density is given, I am assuming to find mass but I am confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
tried doing this equation and got an answer of 30 which is wrong, not really sure if I am even on the right track any guidance is appreciated!
... well there are no units for a start, and you did not say which equation you used or which question you are answering.

1) 0.20 g of hydrogen gas are held in a rigid container. The temperature of the gas is changed from 200 K to 320 K. How much heat is needed?
... hint: what is "specific heat"?
2) A gas at p = 80kPa and T = 350K has a mass density of 8.65×10−2kg/m3 . find the V_rms
... you'd like to use the second equation right? But you don't know the temperature or the particle mass. Can you use the pressure and the density in combination to help you find these things? Can you find another equation that relates the rms velocity with the density and pressure?

Related to Solving Heat Added to Gas + Mass Density of a Gas

1. What is the formula for calculating heat added to gas?

The formula for calculating heat added to gas is Q = mCΔT, where Q is the amount of heat added, m is the mass of the gas, C is the specific heat capacity of the gas, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. How do you determine the mass density of a gas?

The mass density of a gas can be determined by dividing the mass of the gas by its volume. This can be calculated using the formula ρ = m/V, where ρ is the mass density, m is the mass, and V is the volume.

3. What units are used for measuring heat added to gas and mass density of a gas?

The SI unit for heat is joules (J), while the SI unit for mass density is kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

4. How does heat added to gas affect its mass density?

When heat is added to a gas, its particles gain energy and move more quickly, causing the gas to expand and decrease in density. Conversely, when heat is removed from a gas, its particles slow down and the gas becomes more dense.

5. Can heat added to gas affect its phase or state?

Yes, heat added to a gas can affect its phase or state. When enough heat is added, a gas can change into a liquid or solid state through the process of condensation or deposition. On the other hand, removing heat from a gas can cause it to change into a liquid or solid state through the process of evaporation or sublimation.