Solving g(t): Seeking Help with Chain Rule

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of g(t) = 4ln(5ln(4t)). The use of the chain rule is mentioned and the correct answer is determined to be 4/(t*ln(4t)).
spherenine

Homework Statement

g(t) = 4ln(5ln(4t))

Homework Equations

What is the derivative of g(t)?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to use the chain rule in many different ways, and still can't come up with the correct answer. Anybody care to walk me through this? Is the derivative of ln(4t) still 1/t?

Physics news on Phys.org
(ln(4t))'=(1/(4t))*4=1/t. Yes. It's still 1/t. For your problem g'=4*(1/(5*ln(4t)) times the derivative of 5*ln(4t). What do you make it?

4*(1/(5*ln(4t)) = 4/(5*ln(4t))
Deriv 5*ln(4t) = 5/t

5/t * 4/(5*ln(4t)) = 20/(5t*ln(4t)) = 4/(t*ln(4t)) =

4*(ln(4t))^-1*t^-1?

I agree with that.

So does the answer key. Thanks for your help.

Related to Solving g(t): Seeking Help with Chain Rule

1. How do I use the chain rule to solve g(t)?

The chain rule is a method used to find the derivative of a composite function. In order to use the chain rule to solve g(t), you must first identify the inner and outer functions. Then, take the derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner function, and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function with respect to t.

2. What is the purpose of using the chain rule in solving g(t)?

The chain rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function that is made up of two or more functions. It allows us to find the rate of change of a composite function, which is useful in many areas of science and mathematics.

3. Can the chain rule be used to solve g(t) for any type of function?

Yes, the chain rule can be used to solve for the derivative of any type of function, as long as it is a composite function. This includes functions with trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic terms.

4. How can I check my work when using the chain rule to solve g(t)?

One way to check your work is to use the power rule, product rule, and quotient rule to find the derivative of the original function. Then, compare it to the result you obtained using the chain rule. If they are the same, then your work is correct.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using the chain rule to solve g(t)?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the chain rule and instead using the power rule or product rule. Another mistake is not identifying the inner and outer functions correctly. It is important to double check your work and make sure you are applying the chain rule correctly.