Multivariable Chain-Rule Problem

In summary: When I learned this stuff we were advised to use notation like ##f_1##, which is "partial derivative of ##f## with respect to the first variable" and ##f_2## for "... with respect to the second variable". That way, when you swap the positions of ##x## and ##y## (as done in this problem) you avoid getting yourself hopelessly confused.
S.R

Homework Statement

Let g(x, y) = f(sin(y), cos(x)). Find the second partial derivative of g with respect to x (g_xx).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to find g_x, but I'm not entirely sure how chain rule applies in this situation.

Is this correct?

g_x = f_x(sin(y), cos(x)) * (-sin(x))

Physics news on Phys.org
To get the derivative with respect to ##x,## by chain rule: $$\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial \sin y}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial \cos x}{\partial x}$$
and see every term if one can be cancelled.

tommyxu3 said:
To get the derivative with respect to ##x,## by chain rule: $$\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial \sin y}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial \cos x}{\partial x}$$
and see every term if one can be cancelled.
Ah, thank-you. The first term cancels, right?

S.R said:
Ah, thank-you. The first term cancels, right?
Yes, for the ##\sin y## doesn't depend on ##x.##

However, forgetting to remind, in the calculation, mind the terms regarding ##f## you have to plug in its pair ##(\sin y,\cos x).##

tommyxu3 said:
However, forgetting to remind, in the calculation, mind the terms regarding ##f## you have to plug in its pair ##(\sin y,\cos x).##
Should it be d/dx(siny) as in the single var. case?

Last edited:
To be precise, you are right, but using partial derivative doesn't make no sense based on the definition also haha (just for my laziness)

tommyxu3 said:
To be precise, you are right, but using partial derivative doesn't make no sense based on the definition also haha (just for my laziness)
How would I obtain g_y though? I'm also not sure how to derive the first formula.

Last edited:
Well...then maybe you don't understand the chain rule totally...For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_rule
To make yourself really acquire the information, I suggest getting the full picture of it including the proof.

tommyxu3 said:
Well...then maybe you don't understand the chain rule totally...For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_rule
To make yourself really acquire the information, I suggest getting the full picture of it including the proof.
The way I learned the chain rule (in the context of multivariable functions) was to draw a dependency diagram. In this case, however, the dependency diagram is not clear.

S.R said:

Homework Statement

Let g(x, y) = f(sin(y), cos(x)). Find the second partial derivative of g with respect to x (g_xx).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to find g_x, but I'm not entirely sure how chain rule applies in this situation.

Is this correct?

g_x = f_x(sin(y), cos(x)) * (-sin(x))

When I learned this stuff we were advised to use notation like ##f_1##, which is "partial derivative of ##f## with respect to the first variable" and ##f_2## for "... with respect to the second variable". That way, when you swap the positions of ##x## and ##y## (as done in this problem) you avoid getting yourself hopelessly confused.

Related to Multivariable Chain-Rule Problem

1. What is the Multivariable Chain-Rule Problem?

The Multivariable Chain-Rule Problem is a mathematical concept that deals with finding the derivative of a composite function with multiple variables. It involves using the chain rule, which is a method for finding the derivative of a function that is composed of other functions.

2. Why is the Multivariable Chain-Rule Problem important?

The Multivariable Chain-Rule Problem is important because it allows us to calculate the rate of change of a function with multiple variables. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as economics, physics, and engineering.

3. What is the formula for solving a Multivariable Chain-Rule Problem?

The formula for solving a Multivariable Chain-Rule Problem is: d(u(v(x)))/dx = d(u)/dv * d(v)/dx. This means that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

4. What are some common applications of the Multivariable Chain-Rule Problem?

The Multivariable Chain-Rule Problem is commonly used in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to calculate rates of change. It is also used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function with multiple variables.

5. How can I improve my understanding of the Multivariable Chain-Rule Problem?

To improve your understanding of the Multivariable Chain-Rule Problem, it is important to practice solving various problems using the formula and techniques. You can also read textbooks or watch online tutorials to gain a deeper understanding of the concept. Working with a tutor or attending a workshop can also be helpful in improving your understanding and problem-solving skills.