Solving Fractions: How to Solve x/36-x = 12/36-12 + 3.013/0.20(36-3.013)

• Thread starter martine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary: The first is approximately 126.798, the second is approximately 6.802.In summary, the person is facing a problem at work involving solving an equation with x as the variable. They are unsure of how to proceed due to not having solved equations like this in a long time. They provide an equation, but it is unclear if the fractions are written correctly. They ask for clarification and provide a possible method for solving the equation. However, they are unable to get the correct solution of 17.6. They also mention that writing fractions as text on one line can be confusing and suggest using parentheses for multiple terms in the numerator or denominator.
martine
No homework, just a problem I'm faced with at work. And being the granny I am, this is ages ago since I solved anything like this.

x/36-x = 12/36-12 + 3.013/0.20(36-3.013)

The solution to this is 17.6. The question is: how do I solve such equations for x? If I ignore the 36 on the left side and asume it's not a fraction it's no problem, but um.. this is too long ago.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is the left hand side [tex] \frac{x}{36-x}[/tex] or [tex]\frac{x}{36} - x[/tex] ? I'm not sure where the fraction ends.
In the first case multiplying both sides by [tex] 36-x[/tex] will get you rid of the fraction, in the second case multiply with 36. Then you can use addition and subtraction to solve for x.

But no matter how i put the parenthesis in your equation i do not get the solution 17.6.

first add all like term like the one whit out the x, then isolate for x, then you will have the answer.

martine said:
No homework, just a problem I'm faced with at work. And being the granny I am, this is ages ago since I solved anything like this.

x/36-x = 12/36-12 + 3.013/0.20(36-3.013)

The solution to this is 17.6. The question is: how do I solve such equations for x? If I ignore the 36 on the left side and asume it's not a fraction it's no problem, but um.. this is too long ago.
What you have written is straightforward and unambiguous, but it might not mean what you intend. Writing fractional expressions as text on one line requires the use of parentheses for numerators or denominators that have multiple terms.

For x/36 - x, did you mean (x/36) - x or x/(36 - x)?
For 12/36 - 12 did you mean (12/36) - 12 or 12/(36 - 12)? The first is a negative number; the value of the second is 1/2.

For 3.013/0.20(36-3.013), did you mean (3.013/0.20) * (36 - 3.013) or 3.013/(0.20 *(36 - 3.013))?

Solving equations involving fractions can be tricky, but there are a few steps you can follow to make the process easier. First, we need to simplify both sides of the equation by finding a common denominator. In this case, the common denominator is 36. We can rewrite the equation as follows:

(x/36) - (x/36) = (12/36) - (12/36) + (3.013/0.20)(36/36 - 3.013/0.20)

Next, we can combine like terms on each side of the equation. On the left side, the x/36 and -x/36 cancel each other out, leaving us with 0. On the right side, we can simplify (12/36) - (12/36) to 0 and (36/36) to 1. This leaves us with:

0 = 1 + (3.013/0.20) - (3.013/0.20)

Now, we can simplify the fractions on the right side by dividing both the numerator and denominator by 0.20. This gives us:

0 = 1 + 15.065 - 15.065

Finally, we can combine the terms on the right side to get:

0 = 1

This equation is not true, which means there is no solution for x. Therefore, we can conclude that the original equation has no solution. If you encounter a similar problem in the future, remember to simplify both sides of the equation by finding a common denominator and then combine like terms to solve for x.

Related to Solving Fractions: How to Solve x/36-x = 12/36-12 + 3.013/0.20(36-3.013)

1. How do I simplify fractions?

To simplify fractions, you can either find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator and divide both by it, or you can convert the fractions to decimals and compare for common factors. In this specific problem, you can divide both the numerator and denominator by 36 to simplify the fractions.

2. What is the order of operations when solving fractions?

The order of operations for solving fractions is the same as regular algebraic equations. You should solve within parentheses first, then exponents, then multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right. In this problem, you would first simplify the parentheses, then solve the multiplication, and finally solve the addition and subtraction.

3. How do I know when to use the distributive property when solving fractions?

You should use the distributive property when there is a number or variable outside of the parentheses and multiple terms inside the parentheses. In this problem, the distributive property is used because there is a fraction outside the parentheses and multiple terms inside.

4. Can I cross-multiply when solving fractions?

Cross-multiplication is a useful strategy for solving equations with two fractions equal to each other. However, it is not necessary for this specific problem. Instead, you can use the distributive property to solve for x.

5. Is there a specific method for solving fractions with variables on both sides?

When solving fractions with variables on both sides, the key is to get all the terms with variables on one side and all the constants on the other side. You can achieve this by using the properties of equality and simplifying both sides. In this problem, you would first move all terms with x to one side and all constants to the other side, and then use the properties of equality to solve for x.