Factorize Problem Homework: x^3 - 2x^2 -15x +36

In summary: Another way is to express ##p(x) = x^3 - 2 x^2 - 15 x+36## as ##p(x) = (x-3)(x^2+ax+b)##, and to expand the latter out. The resulting coefficients of ##x^2, x## and 1 will be expressions involving ##a## and ##b##. Equating those expressions to -2, -15 and +36 will tell you what must be the values of ##a## and ##b##.
cathal84

Homework Statement

Hello, pretty back to basics with this one. How this came about was I am finding the eigenvalues for a given matrix and after forming the characteristic polynomial of the matrix i get this.

x^3 - 2x^2 -15x +36

Homework Equations

Using the rational root theorem i came to the conclusion that i have factor out (x-3) out of my function above.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer after you factor out (x-3) from x^3 - 2x^2 -15x +36
is equal to (x-3)(x^2+x-12)
I have confirmation that this is the correct answer but i do not understand how to get there.
So if someone could show me how it is done step by step that would be great. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
cathal84 said:

Homework Statement

Hello, pretty back to basics with this one. How this came about was I am finding the eigenvalues for a given matrix and after forming the characteristic polynomial of the matrix i get this.

x^3 - 2x^2 -15x +36

Homework Equations

Using the rational root theorem i came to the conclusion that i have factor out (x-3) out of my function above.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer after you factor out (x-3) from x^3 - 2x^2 -15x +36
is equal to (x-3)(x^2+x-12)
I have confirmation that this is the correct answer but i do not understand how to get there.
So if someone could show me how it is done step by step that would be great. Thanks

PF rules forbid us from showing you solutions step-by-step; we can give hints only.

Anyway, the standard way to do such tasks is to divide out the known factor (x-3) and then deal with the resulting quadratic. That involves "long division", I'm afraid.

Alright thanks guys for letting me know it was long division anyway least i know what has to be done now! ill try figure it out myself :)

cathal84 said:
Alright thanks guys for letting me know it was long division anyway least i know what has to be done now! ill try figure it out myself :)
Another way is to express ##p(x) = x^3 - 2 x^2 - 15 x+36## as ##p(x) = (x-3)(x^2+ax+b)##, and to expand the latter out. The resulting coefficients of ##x^2, x## and 1 will be expressions involving ##a## and ##b##. Equating those expressions to -2, -15 and +36 will tell you what must be the values of ##a## and ##b##. (In fact, you have three equations in the two unknowns ##a## and ##b##, but they are consistent because ##x = 3## is an exact root of ##p(x)##.)

Likes cathal84

1. What is factorization?

Factorization is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into its smaller, simpler parts. It involves finding the factors, or numbers that can divide evenly into the expression, and writing the expression as a product of these factors.

2. What are the steps to factorize a polynomial expression?

The steps to factorize a polynomial expression, such as x^3 - 2x^2 -15x +36, are:
1. Factor out the greatest common factor (GCF) of the expression.
2. Look for any common factors between the remaining terms and factor them out.
3. Use the grouping method or trial and error to factor the remaining expression into two binomials.
4. Check your answer by multiplying the binomials to see if you get the original expression.

3. How do I factorize a polynomial expression with multiple variables?

The process of factorization remains the same for polynomial expressions with multiple variables. You just need to make sure to factor out the GCF for each variable separately and then look for common factors between the remaining terms.

4. Can all polynomial expressions be factorized?

No, not all polynomial expressions can be factorized. Some expressions are prime, meaning they cannot be factored into smaller parts. These are typically expressions with no common factors and no way to group terms in order to factor them.

5. Why is factorization important in mathematics?

Factorization is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has many practical applications. It helps simplify complex expressions and allows us to solve equations and find roots more easily. It is also used in fields such as cryptography, where factoring large numbers is essential for security purposes.