How Do You Solve the Integral of (26x+36)/[(3x-2)(x^2+4)] dx?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of a given function and sets up a system of equations to solve for the constants A, B, and C. The mistake in the solution process is identified and corrected. Finally, the correct expansion of the function is provided to help with solving for A and B.
dangish
Q: Find the Integral of (26x+36)/[(3x-2)(x^2+4)] dx

Here is my attempt:

First i set it up so that,

(26x+36) / [(3x-2)(x^2+4)] = A/(3x-2) + (Bx+C)/(x^2+4)

Then,

26x + 36 = A(x^2+4) + (Bx+C)(3x-2)

= Ax^2 + 4A + Bx^2+Bx+Cx+C <---(This is where I think I went wrong)

= (A+B)x^2 + (B+C)x + (4A+C)

Then I get the system of equations,

A + B = 0
B + C = 26
4A + C = 36

Which I can't solve.

Once I get A,B,C I can take it from there, any help would be much appreciated :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Take these two

B + C = 26 ...1
4A + C = 36...2

If you subtract equation 1 from 2, you will get an equation with A and B in it, which you can then solve with A + B = 0.

dangish said:
= Ax^2 + 4A + Bx^2+Bx+Cx+C <---(This is where I think I went wrong)

= (A+B)x^2 + (B+C)x + (4A+C)

Expanding (Bx+C)(3x-2) should give:

3Bx^2 -2Bx +3Cx - 2C

Note that you could have solved for A before expanding this. To do this, notice that (3x-2) can be set to 0 by using x=...?

Fragment said:
Expanding (Bx+C)(3x-2) should give:

3Bx^2 -2Bx +3Cx - 2C

Haha I was right where I went wrong, that was stupid, thanks..

Your approach is correct so far. However, you made a small mistake in your second equation. It should be B + 3C = 26 instead of B + C = 26. This will give you a system of equations that can be solved.

A + B = 0
B + 3C = 26
4A + C = 36

Solving this system, you will get A = -4, B = 4, and C = 10. Now you can substitute these values back into the original equation and integrate each term separately.

∫(26x+36)/[(3x-2)(x^2+4)] dx = ∫(-4/(3x-2) + (4x+10)/(x^2+4)) dx

Using the substitution method, you can find the integral of each term. The integral of -4/(3x-2) can be found by using u-substitution. Let u = 3x-2, then du = 3dx and the integral becomes -4/3 ∫1/u du = -4/3 ln|u| + C = -4/3 ln|3x-2| + C.

The integral of (4x+10)/(x^2+4) can be found using partial fractions. Rewrite it as (Ax+B)/(x^2+4) and solve for A and B using the same method you used in the beginning. You will get A = 2 and B = 1. Then the integral becomes ∫(2x+1)/(x^2+4) dx = ∫2/(x^2+4) dx + ∫1/(x^2+4) dx. The first integral can be found using inverse tangent substitution and the second one can be found using u-substitution. The final answer will be -2 tan^-1(x/2) + 1/2 ln|x^2+4| + C.

Therefore, the final answer is -4/3 ln|3x-2| -2 tan^-1(x/2) + 1/2 ln|x^2+4| + C. I hope this helps!

Related to How Do You Solve the Integral of (26x+36)/[(3x-2)(x^2+4)] dx?

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. This is useful for integration and solving differential equations.

2. How do you find the partial fraction decomposition of a rational function?

To find the partial fraction decomposition, you first factor the denominator of the rational function. Then, you set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the fractions and solve for them. This will give you the individual fractions that make up the original rational function.

3. What are the types of partial fractions?

The two types of partial fractions are proper and improper. A proper fraction has a numerator with a degree less than the denominator, while an improper fraction has a numerator with a degree equal to or greater than the denominator.

4. When do you use partial fractions?

Partial fractions are typically used when integrating rational functions, particularly when the denominator cannot be easily integrated. They are also useful for solving differential equations.

5. What is the purpose of partial fractions?

The purpose of partial fractions is to simplify a rational function into smaller, more manageable fractions. This can make it easier to integrate and solve differential equations, as well as simplify complex mathematical expressions.