Solving for $z_1^*$: Argand Diagram

In summary, the symbol * in $z_1^*$ most likely represents complex-conjugation, where the imaginary part is replaced with its negative. This can be shown on an argand diagram. The symbol is not a typo and it is commonly used to indicate the complex conjugate.
fordy2707
hi all,hope I find you all well and that I've posted this in the correct section

ive been given this $z_1$ =1-j2

Question ,find and show the result of $z_1 ^*$ on an argand diagram ,my question is what does the star symbol represent or is it a typo?

many thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
fordy2707 said:
hi all,hope I find you all well and that I've posted this in the correct section

ive been given this $z_1$ =1-j2

Question ,find and show the result of $z_1 ^*$ on an argand diagram ,my question is what does the star symbol represent or is it a typo?

many thanks

If $j$ is meant to represent $\sqrt{-1}$, then the star most likely represents complex-conjugation, so that if:

$z = a + jb$ (with $a,b \in \Bbb R$)

then $z^{\ast} = a - jb$ (we replace the imaginary part with its negative).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 76
I don't think it's a typo-see my earlier post.

Yep I'm with you, thanks.i looked up the wording you used and found this to certainly be the case many thanks for the help.it amazes me that I have this thrown into my questions without any prior explanation of its meaning.

The "overline", \(\displaystyle \overline{z}\) is more common but, yes, the asterisk is sometimes used to indicate the complex conjugate. If \(\displaystyle z= x+ iy\), then \(\displaystyle z^*= \overline{z}= x- iy\).

Related to Solving for $z_1^*$: Argand Diagram

1. What is an Argand Diagram?

An Argand Diagram is a graphical representation of complex numbers on a two-dimensional plane. It consists of a horizontal real axis and a vertical imaginary axis. The complex number z = a + bi is represented by a point (a,b) on the plane.

2. How do you solve for $z_1^*$ on an Argand Diagram?

To solve for $z_1^*$ on an Argand Diagram, you must first find the conjugate of the complex number z = a + bi. This is done by changing the sign of the imaginary part, resulting in z* = a - bi. Then, the point (a,b) representing z on the Argand Diagram will have a reflection across the real axis, resulting in the point (a,-b) which represents z*.

3. What is the significance of solving for $z_1^*$ on an Argand Diagram?

Solving for $z_1^*$ on an Argand Diagram is important in complex number operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It allows us to find the conjugate of a complex number and perform these operations more easily.

4. Can you solve for $z_1^*$ on an Argand Diagram using polar form?

Yes, you can solve for $z_1^*$ on an Argand Diagram using polar form. To do this, you must first convert the complex number from rectangular form (a + bi) to polar form (r(cosθ + isinθ)). Then, to find z*, you simply change the sign of the angle θ, resulting in r(cosθ - isinθ).

5. How does solving for $z_1^*$ on an Argand Diagram relate to the complex conjugate?

Solving for $z_1^*$ on an Argand Diagram is equivalent to finding the complex conjugate of a complex number. The complex conjugate is the number with the same real part but the opposite imaginary part. On an Argand Diagram, this is represented by reflecting the point representing the complex number across the real axis.