Solving for Final Velocity Using Impulse Momentum Theorem - Homework Help"

In summary, you integrated ∫Fdt = m(vf-vo) to find -.822 m/s for the final velocity. You are trying to find the final velocity because you have been reworking this problem over and over and cannot come up with a different answer. You are using the impulse momentum theorem and it is correct.
mpittma1

Homework Statement

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10167935_1403417599934459_6123061969742894932_n.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used ∫Fdt = m(vf-vo)

and came up with -.822 m/s for the final velocity...

I have been reworking this problem over and over and cannot come up with a different answer...

Am i wrong in using the impulse momentum theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
mpittma1 said:

Homework Statement

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10167935_1403417599934459_6123061969742894932_n.jpg

Homework Equations

I used ∫Fdt = m(vf-vo)

I have been reworking this problem over and over and cannot come up with a different answer...

You haven't given any details regarding how you came up with -.822 m/s for the final velocity.

Why are you trying to find the final velocity anyway ?

mpittma1 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I used ∫Fdt = m(vf-vo)

Your approach is correct. Can you show us how you integrated? What is the anti-derivative of sin(ωt)?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Your approach is correct. Can you show us how you integrated? What is the anti-derivative of sin(ωt)?

AM

sorry, should have done that from the get go, here is what i did: this is for when t = .55 seconds btw

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10001366_1403433926599493_210320460460652531_n.jpg

Last edited:
SammyS said:
You haven't given any details regarding how you came up with -.822 m/s for the final velocity.

Why are you trying to find the final velocity anyway ?

Im not trying to find the final velocity but the velocity at time = .55 seconds

mpittma1 said:
sorry, should have done that from the get go, here is what i did: this is for when t = .55 seconds btw

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10001366_1403433926599493_210320460460652531_n.jpg
Your integral is correct. I can't tell from your answer how you got the 9e-5 value but it is not correct. The given answer is correct. Remember the argument for cos(ωt) is in radians, not degrees.

According to your equation:

vf = (1/m)∫Fdt + v0

If you work that out you will get the answer that is given.

AM

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Andrew Mason said:
Your integral is correct. I can't tell from your answer how you got the 9e-5 value but it is not correct. The given answer is correct.

According to your equation:

vf = (1/m)∫Fdt + v0

If you work that out you will get the answer that is given.

AM

Worked it out still got v(.55) = -.812 m/s

the answer is suppose to be v(.55) = -.451 m/s

mpittma1 said:
Worked it out still got v(.55) = -.812 m/s

the answer is suppose to be v(.55) = -.451 m/s

As AM said, ωt is in radians .

Your result looks like your calculator is in degree mode.

Likes 1 person
SammyS said:
As AM said, ωt is in radians .

Your result looks like your calculator is in degree mode.

Hahaha thanks guys

Related to Solving for Final Velocity Using Impulse Momentum Theorem - Homework Help"

1. What is impulse momentum?

Impulse momentum is a concept in physics that describes the relationship between the force applied to an object and the resulting change in its momentum. It is a measure of how much an object's motion changes when a force is applied for a certain amount of time.

2. How is impulse momentum calculated?

Impulse momentum is calculated using the equation I = FΔt, where I is the impulse, F is the force applied, and Δt is the time interval over which the force is applied. This equation can also be written as I = mΔv, where m is the mass of the object and Δv is the change in velocity.

3. What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, while impulse is a measure of the force that causes a change in an object's momentum. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while impulse is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.

4. How does impulse affect an object's motion?

When an impulse is applied to an object, it will cause a change in the object's momentum. This change in momentum will result in a change in the object's velocity, either by increasing or decreasing its speed or changing its direction of motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of impulse momentum?

Some examples of impulse momentum in everyday life include hitting a baseball with a bat, kicking a soccer ball, or catching a falling object. In each of these situations, a force is applied for a certain amount of time, resulting in a change in the object's momentum and, therefore, its motion.