Solve Impulse Momentum Homework Equation

In summary, the conversation involves a problem with solving an equation using conservation of energy and momentum. The solution involves using an integral to relate the position of m1 to its velocity and then using the chain rule to solve the integral. There is also a discussion about the accuracy of the answer and the importance of not rounding too early.
mpittma1

Homework Statement

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/l/t1.0-9/10155336_1407954212814131_2465716609293795371_n.jpg

Homework Equations

∫Fdt = mvf-mvi

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried integrating kxcdt from 0 - .01 and haven't had any luck.

I am not quite sure how to go about solving this problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
mpittma1 said:

Homework Statement

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/l/t1.0-9/10155336_1407954212814131_2465716609293795371_n.jpg

Homework Equations

∫Fdt = mvf-mvi

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried integrating kxcdt from 0 - .01 and haven't had any luck.

I am not quite sure how to go about solving this problem...
I don't know where you are getting the t= .01 s from. You are looking for the momentum change of m1 between its start point and the point where it leaves the spring. Try using conservation of energy to solve for the speed of m1 as it leaves the spring.

PhanthomJay said:
I don't know where you are getting the t= .01 s from. You are looking for the momentum change of m1 between its start point and the point where it leaves the spring. Try using conservation of energy to solve for the speed of m1 as it leaves the spring.

thank you!

this is what I did:

.5Kxc2=.5m1v12

v1=sqrt(kxc2/m1) = 1.02 m/s

then

∫Fdt = m1v1= 1.02(2.4) = 2.448Ns

Its not the exact same answer as the paper gives though,
any thoughts on that?

This looks like a 3 step problem to me. One with no integrals.

Having an inelastic collision means CoE is no good during the collision, but it says nothing about afterwards. You need both conservation of momentum and energy for this one.

I haven't worked out the m2 part but I think m2 does not collide with m1 until after m1 is released from the spring. Proceeding with this assumption, which should of course be verified:

No matter, the problem certainly does require an integration. You will need to solve ∫F dt.
Hint: relate v[x(t)] to x(t), the position of m1. Then use a chain rule to solve the integral.

EDIT: thanks folks for reminding me that there is a hard way and an easy way. I certainly took the hard way!

Last edited:
mpittma1 said:
thank you!

this is what I did:

.5Kxc2=.5m1v12

v1=sqrt(kxc2/m1) = 1.02 m/s

then

∫Fdt = m1v1= 1.02(2.4) = 2.448Ns

Its not the exact same answer as the paper gives though,
any thoughts on that?

Do not round too early, too much. v1 is inaccurate.

ehild

Related to Solve Impulse Momentum Homework Equation

1. What is the impulse-momentum equation?

The impulse-momentum equation is a formula used to calculate the change in momentum of an object. It states that the change in momentum (Δp) is equal to the force (F) applied to an object multiplied by the time (Δt) over which the force is applied: Δp = FΔt.

2. How is the impulse-momentum equation used in real life?

The impulse-momentum equation is used in many real-life situations, such as car crashes, sports, and rocket launches. It helps engineers and scientists understand and predict the motion of objects and design systems that can safely absorb or transfer momentum.

3. What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

Impulse and momentum are closely related but have different meanings in physics. Impulse is the change in an object's momentum, while momentum is a measure of an object's mass and velocity. In other words, impulse is a force applied over a certain period of time, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity.

4. How do you calculate impulse and momentum?

To calculate impulse, you need to know the force applied to an object and the time over which the force is applied. Then, you can use the impulse-momentum equation: impulse (J) = force (F) x time (Δt). To calculate momentum, you need to know an object's mass (m) and velocity (v). The formula for momentum is: momentum (p) = mass (m) x velocity (v).

5. Can you explain the concept of conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In other words, in a system where no external forces are acting, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. This concept is used to explain and predict the motion of objects in collisions and explosions.