Solving for Compressed Spring Distance after Collision

In summary, two blocks with masses of 2kg and 1.8kg collide, with the second block at rest and attached to a wall by a spring with a spring constant of 151 N/m. The blocks stick together after the collision, and using conservation of momentum and energy, it is found that the distance the spring is compressed is approximately 0.34m.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

Block 2 with mass 2kg is at rest on a surface an touching the end of relaxed spring with spring constant k=151 N/m . The other end of the spring is attached to a wall. Block 1 with a mass of 1.8kg and traveling with a speed of v=4.5m/s, collides with block 2, and the two blocks stick together.

When the blocks stop momentarily, what is the distance the spring is compressed?

See diagram --> http://s17.postimg.org/ry9qgk0sf/diagram22.jpg

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention the floors are frictionless!

Homework Equations

Conservation of linear momentum and conservation of mechanical energy

The Attempt at a Solution

First I set the problem up using conservation of mechanical energy

[itex]
KE_1 = U_s + KE_2 \\
\frac{1}{2} m_1 v_i^2 = \frac{1}{2} k x^2 + \frac{1}{2} (m_1 + m_2) v_f^2
[/itex]

Then to find what the velocity on the right hand side of the equation I used the conservation of linear momentum

[itex]
m_1 v_i = (m_1 + m_2) v_f \\
v_f = \frac{m_1 v_i }{(m_1 + m_2)} \\
v_f = \frac{(1.8)(4.5)}{1.8+2} = 2.13 m/s
[/itex]

Then used that in the first equation, of conservation of mechanical energy
[itex]
\frac{1}{2} m_1 v_i^2 = \frac{1}{2} k x^2 + \frac{1}{2} (m_1 + m_2) v_f^2 \\
\frac{1}{2} m_1 v_i^2 - \frac{1}{2} (m_1 + m_2) v_f^2 = \frac{1}{2} k x^2 \\
x=\sqrt{\frac{\frac{1}{2} m_1 v_i^2 - \frac{1}{2} (m_1 + m_2) v_f^2}{0.5k}} \\
x=\sqrt{\frac{\frac{1}{2} (1.8) (4.5)^2 - \frac{1}{2} (1.8+2) (2.13)^2}{(0.5)(151}} = 0.36m \\
[/itex]

I am very unsure of my solution as I missed the two lectures covering the material this coursework is based on, so would appreciate any advice/feedback.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Two blocks sticking together after collision means you have a totally inelastic collision. Note that kinetic energy is NOT conserved in inelastic collisions! So you need to "forget" anything you knew about the initial KE previous to the collision.

What you have, post collision, is the new KE that the combined blocks are carrying thanks to conservation of momentum allowing you to determine their post-collision speed. That's what you want to take into a conservation of energy scenario as the spring is compressed.

gneill said:
Two blocks sticking together after collision means you have a totally inelastic collision. Note that kinetic energy is NOT conserved in inelastic collisions! So you need to "forget" anything you knew about the initial KE previous to the collision.

What you have, post collision, is the new KE that the combined blocks are carrying thanks to conservation of momentum allowing you to determine their post-collision speed. That's what you want to take into a conservation of energy scenario as the spring is compressed.
Ah right, ok, thanks for your help.

So going off that I calculated the velocity of the combined blocks correctly using the conservation of momentum does that mean then I can just do...
[itex]
\frac{1}{2}(m_1+m_2)v_f^2=\frac{1}{2}kx^2 \\
(m_1+m_2)v_f^2=kx^2 \\
x = \sqrt{\frac{(m_1+m_2)v_f^2}{k}}=\sqrt{\frac{(1.8+2)(2.13)^2}{151}}=0.34m
[/itex]

?

Last edited:
Yup. Looks good.

Thank you :)

Related to Solving for Compressed Spring Distance after Collision

1. How do you calculate the distance of a compressed spring after a collision?

The formula for calculating the distance of a compressed spring after a collision is: d = (mvo/k)(1-e-kt/m), where d is the distance, m is the mass of the object, vo is the initial velocity of the object, k is the spring constant, t is the time since collision, and e is the base of the natural logarithm.

2. What is the significance of the spring constant in the calculation?

The spring constant, represented by the letter k, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. It determines how much force is needed to stretch or compress the spring. In the equation for calculating the distance of a compressed spring after a collision, a higher spring constant means the spring will be compressed more, resulting in a larger distance.

3. Can the mass of the object affect the distance of a compressed spring after a collision?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect the distance of a compressed spring after a collision. The larger the mass, the more energy it has, resulting in a larger compression of the spring and a longer distance. This is reflected in the equation, as the mass is a factor in the numerator.

4. How does the initial velocity of the object impact the compressed spring distance?

The initial velocity of the object, represented by vo, has a direct impact on the compressed spring distance. A higher initial velocity means the object has more energy and will compress the spring more, resulting in a larger distance. This is shown in the equation as the initial velocity is also in the numerator.

5. What is the role of time in the calculation of compressed spring distance after a collision?

Time, represented by t, is a factor in the calculation of compressed spring distance after a collision because it determines how long the spring has been compressed. The longer the time since collision, the more the spring will have decompressed, resulting in a smaller compressed distance. This is reflected in the equation as time is in the exponent of the natural logarithm term.