Two masses, a rope and a spring

In summary, the maximum velocity is reached when the spring is at equilibrium and the amplitude of the harmonic motion is A.
Nexus99
Homework Statement
Two blocks of mass M1 and M2 are hung as shown in the figure: ##M_1## is hung from the ceiling through an inextensible rope of negligible mass, while ##M_2## is hung on ##M_1## by an ideal spring of elastic constant k and rest length ##L_0##. At the initial moment (t = 0) the masses are stationary and the spring is compressed. For t = 0 the distance between ##M_1## and ##M_2## is equal to ##\frac{L_0}{2}##. In the next motion, ##M_2## goes down to reach a maximum distance ##L_{max}## from ##M_1##. Calculate
1. The magnitude of the tension T for t=0
2. The acceleration of ##M_2## for t = 0.
3. The value of Lmax and the corresponding magnitude of the tension T
4. The maximum speed reached by ##M_2## during the descent.

M1 = 1.20 kg, M2 = 0.25 kg, k = 30 N/m, L0 = 0.20 m.
Relevant Equations
conservation of energy, harmonic oscillator etc.
Cattura.PNG

I tried in this way:
1) Considering a reference axis oriented downwards:
##M_1:## ## -T + M_1g - k \frac{L_0}{2} = 0##
##T = M_1g - k \frac{L_0}{2} ##

2)
##M_2:## ##M_2g + k \frac{L_0}{2} = M_2 a##
## a = g + \frac{k}{M_2} \frac{L_0}{2} ##

3) ## M_2g \frac{L_0}{2} + \frac{1}{2} k \frac{L_0^2}{4} = M_2gL_{max} + \frac{1}{2} k (L_{max} - L_0)^2 ##
## L_{max} = \frac{3}{2}L_0 - \frac{2gM_2}{k} ##

And
##T = M_1g + k(L_{max} - L_0) ##

4) Maximum velocity is reached when the spring is at equilibrium:
##M_2g \frac{L_0}{2} + \frac{1}{2}k (\frac{L_0}{2})^2 = M_2gL_0 + \frac{1}{2}M_2 v_{max}^2##
But solving this equation i got a complex value for ##v_{max}##:
##v_{max} = \sqrt{\frac{kL_0^2}{4M_2} - g L_0} ##
Where am i wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I got a new idea for ##v_{max}##
## v_{max} = A \omega## where A is the amplitude of the harmonic motion
## A = L_{equilibrium} - (L_i) = L_0 - \frac{M_2g}{k} - (\frac{L_0}{2} - L_0) = \frac{3}{2}L_0 - \frac{M_2g}{k} ##
## v_{max} = (\frac{3}{2}L_0 - \frac{M_2g}{k}) \sqrt{\frac{k}{M_2}} ##
Why my first solution was wrong?

Okpluto said:
Why my first solution was
In your energy equation for 3, for the gravitational PE on the left you seem to have taken the lower mass in the relaxed position of the spring as the zero height datum. Not sure what you have used as datum on the right. At Lmax, what is the height of that mass relative to your zero datum?

I took the lower mass position for t=0 as zero for gravitation PE. Same for RHS where ##M_2## distance from ##M_1## seems to be ##L_{max}##

Okpluto said:
I took the lower mass position for t=0 as zero for gravitation PE. Same for RHS where ##M_2## distance from ##M_1## seems to be ##L_{max}##
But on the RHS you have it positive, which means Lmax above the reference zero.
And if you took the t=0 position of M2 as the reference zero then the GPE term on the LHS would be zero.

Sorry i took the higher mass position as zero

Okpluto said:
Sorry i took the higher mass position as zero
But the signs are still wrong. You have the GPE increasing from ## M_2g \frac{L_0}{2}## to ##M_2gL_{max}##:
Okpluto said:
3) ## M_2g \frac{L_0}{2} + \frac{1}{2} k \frac{L_0^2}{4} = M_2gL_{max} + \frac{1}{2} k (L_{max} - L_0)^2 ##
This is also responsible for the imaginary value for velocity in (4).

So should be:
## -M_2g \frac{L_0}{2} + \frac{1}{2} k (\frac{L_0}{2})^2 = -M_2gL_{max} + \frac{1}{2} k (L_{max} - L_0)^2 ##

and

## -M_2g \frac{L_0}{2} + \frac{1}{2} k (\frac{L_0}{2})^2 = -M_2g L_0 + \frac{1}{2} m (v_{max})^2 ##

Look fine, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Okpluto said:
So should be:
## -M_2g \frac{L_0}{2} + \frac{1}{2} k (\frac{L_0}{2})^2 = -M_2gL_{max} + \frac{1}{2} k (L_{max} - L_0)^2 ##

and

## -M_2g \frac{L_0}{2} + \frac{1}{2} k (L_0)^2 = -M_2g L_0 + \frac{1}{2} m (v_{max})^2 ##

Look fine, thanks
Better, but another problem in the second equation.
As you wrote, "4) Maximum velocity is reached when the spring is at equilibrium:", but that is not at L0. L0 is the relaxed length.

You're right, i have to add ## \frac{1}{2} k (L_{eq} - L_0)^ 2 ## in the RHS

Related to Two masses, a rope and a spring

1. What is the purpose of the rope in a system with two masses and a spring?

The rope serves as a medium for transferring the force between the two masses and the spring. It helps to maintain a constant distance between the two masses and allows for the spring to stretch and compress.

2. How does the mass of the objects affect the behavior of the system?

The mass of the two objects affects the oscillation frequency and amplitude of the system. A higher mass will result in a slower oscillation and a smaller amplitude, while a lower mass will result in a faster oscillation and a larger amplitude.

3. What is the role of the spring in this system?

The spring provides a restorative force that acts in the opposite direction of the displacement of the masses. This allows for the system to oscillate back and forth between the two masses.

4. How does the length of the rope impact the system?

The length of the rope affects the natural frequency of the system. A longer rope will result in a lower natural frequency, while a shorter rope will result in a higher natural frequency.

5. Can the system reach equilibrium?

Yes, the system can reach equilibrium when the forces acting on the two masses are balanced. This occurs when the spring is at its natural length and the two masses are at equal distances from the center point.