Solving for an unknown member of a frame

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the conversation discussed the process of solving for the reactions of a frame, specifically member B. The person asking the question was having trouble finding the reaction forces using the equilibrium equations and was seeking help. The expert summarizer suggests considering the forces acting on member B separately and drawing a free body diagram to solve for the unknown forces. They also recommend seeking assistance from a colleague or professor if needed.
gjshafer
Hello,

Attached is a drawing of a frame. I have already solved for the reactions for the frame. I am now trying to isolate each member to continue the design process. I am having problems finding the reaction forces for "member B" on the attached drawing. Using the three equalibrium equations I still wind up with two uknowns in each equation. And I haven't found a way to find the reaction forces using substitution or simaltaneous equations. All the information should be on the drawing. If anything else is required please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Glen

Attachments

• 8023-103.pdf
    431.5 KB · Views: 242
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello Glen,

Thank you for sharing your progress on solving for the reactions of the frame. It seems like you have a good understanding of the equilibrium equations and how to use them to solve for unknown forces. However, it is important to remember that each member of the frame will have its own unique set of equations that need to be solved for their respective reaction forces.

For member B, you will need to consider the forces acting on it separately from the rest of the frame. This includes any external loads acting on the member as well as any reactions from other members. You can then use the equilibrium equations to solve for the unknown forces on member B.

One approach you can try is to draw a free body diagram of member B, showing all the forces acting on it. This will help you visualize and understand the forces at play. From there, you can set up the equilibrium equations and solve for the unknown forces.

If you are still having trouble finding the reaction forces for member B, I recommend reaching out to a colleague or a professor for assistance. It can be helpful to have another set of eyes look at the problem and offer a fresh perspective.

I hope this helps and good luck with your design process!

Related to Solving for an unknown member of a frame

1. How do I determine the unknown member of a frame?

The unknown member of a frame can be determined by using the equations of equilibrium, which involves balancing all the forces and moments acting on the frame.

2. What are the steps involved in solving for an unknown member of a frame?

The steps involved in solving for an unknown member of a frame include drawing a free body diagram, writing the equations of equilibrium, and solving for the unknown member using algebra or other mathematical methods.

3. Can I solve for an unknown member of a frame without using equations?

No, equations of equilibrium are necessary in order to solve for an unknown member of a frame. Without these equations, it would be impossible to accurately determine the unknown member.

4. What factors should I consider when solving for an unknown member of a frame?

When solving for an unknown member of a frame, it is important to consider the forces and moments acting on the frame, as well as the geometry and material properties of the frame. Additionally, any external loads or constraints should also be taken into account.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving for an unknown member of a frame?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for an unknown member of a frame include forgetting to include all forces and moments, using incorrect units, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check all work and ensure that all necessary factors have been considered.