Natural frequency in stationary and rotating frames....

In summary, the damping force is not transformed in the equations of motion, which is why the amplitude vs. input frequency chart shows the same results for the rotating and stationary frames.
tricha122
Hi,

I am trying to gain insight into using stationary vs. rotating coordinate frames for natural frequency calculations. I have seen many FE codes suggest that critical frequencies can be calculated differently in rotating and inertial frames, so i wanted to do a 1D calc to see for myself how things could be different.

I am trying to model a 1D spring-mass-damper with an rotating unbalance input force in both frames, and solve them numerically for a sweep of input frequencies to view the output displacement vs. frequency. And i expect to see a sharp increase where w = sqrt(K/M)

The equations of motion i am solving are as follows:

Stationary Frame:

M*x'' + C*x' + K*x = m*e*w^2*cos(w*t)
M*y'' + C*y' + K*y = m*e*w^2*sin(w*t)

these equations can be solved independently

For the rotating frame, i apply the transformation:
x = x1*cos(w*t) - y1*sin(w*t)
y = x1*sin(w*t) + y1*cos(w*t)

where x1, y1 are in the rotating frame, x1 is along the radius, y1 is "circumferential"

when i plug in this transformation, and simplify i get the following equations:

Mx1'' = -Kx1 - C(x1'-y1*w) + 2*M*y1'*w+m*(x1+e)*w^2
My1'' = -Ky1 - C(y1'+x1*w) - 2*M*x1'*w+m*y1*w^2

where the equations cannot be solved independently due to the coriolis force. (CF force shows up too).

I solved both stationary & rotating frame equations using M = 200, K = 104000, C = 10, m = 1, w = variable over a long "time" so that the damping could get rid of the "particular solution". After a long "time" i output the max amplitude. This resulted in an amplitude vs. input frequency chart

The stationary frame showed a sharp increase at w = ~22 = (sqrt(104000/200)) as expected.
The rotating frame showed no sharp increase, just steady rising with the forcing function. The strange part however was that at low frequencies, the results were identical to the stationary frame.

Can anyone shed some light on this? i have attached an image of my output. I also uploaded text files of the MATLAB code i was running.

Attachments

• Frame_of_Reference_Result.xlsx
    12.6 KB · Views: 250
  • SMDRF.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 552
  • SMDRFsweep.txt
    348 bytes · Views: 546
  • SMDSF.txt
    1 KB · Views: 505
  • SMDSFsweep.txt
    348 bytes · Views: 536
Engineering news on Phys.org
tricha122 said:
when i plug in this transformation, and simplify i get the following equations
Just checking: can you show your work, or at least state that you also describe the driving forces in the rotating frame ?

BvU said:
Just checking: can you show your work, or at least state that you also describe the driving forces in the rotating frame ?

The driving forces are transformed as a result of the equations of motion being transformed.

The reference below [Linear and Nonlinear Rotordynamic by Ishida & Yamamoto] shows the equations of motion - they are the same as mine with the exception that i added damping terms to the inertial frame prior to transforming.

upload_2018-6-4_18-26-28.png

upload_2018-6-4_18-27-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-4_18-26-28.png
    upload_2018-6-4_18-26-28.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 410
  • upload_2018-6-4_18-27-7.png
    upload_2018-6-4_18-27-7.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 460
Ok, so driving force is transformed. How about damping force ?

Related to Natural frequency in stationary and rotating frames....

What is the difference between natural frequency in stationary and rotating frames?

The natural frequency in a stationary frame refers to the frequency at which a system vibrates when it is at rest. On the other hand, the natural frequency in a rotating frame takes into account the effects of the rotation on the vibration of the system.

How is natural frequency affected by the rotation of a frame?

The rotation of a frame can affect the natural frequency of a system in two ways. Firstly, it can cause a shift in the natural frequency due to the Coriolis effect. Secondly, it can introduce additional frequencies known as rotational harmonics.

What factors influence the natural frequency in a stationary frame?

The natural frequency in a stationary frame is influenced by several factors, including the mass and stiffness of the system, as well as any external forces or damping present. Additionally, the boundary conditions and geometry of the system can also affect the natural frequency.

Can the natural frequency of a system be changed?

Yes, the natural frequency of a system can be changed by altering the factors that influence it. For example, the natural frequency can be increased by increasing the stiffness of the system or decreased by adding damping. It can also be changed by altering the boundary conditions or geometry of the system.

Why is natural frequency important in engineering and design?

Natural frequency is an important consideration in engineering and design because it determines the response of a system to vibration and can impact its stability and performance. Understanding and controlling natural frequency is crucial in preventing resonance and ensuring the safety and functionality of structures and machines.