Finding moments in pedal (beam w/ rightangles)

In summary, you are confused about the vertical reaction forces on a and b because you do not understand the geometry of the situation. You need to use a general formula or rule to calculate the forces. Once you have this information, you can solve for a and b.
Letsgetphysicscool
hello friends i am seek advice on a engineer question (sorry if grammar bad english isn't my first language but i learn)

i require to find the moments on a pedal. the pedal is horizonta. as the picture provided the hinge point is at a and there is a support at b. at e a man stands and is 750 Newton and dimension ab = 375 bc=140 cd=150 de=380 ef=70. all angles are 90 degrees.
bitmap.png

i know how resolve if it had no vertical on beam but vertical at cd is confuse. what is the best way to tackle this problem? i wish for speedy conclusion i want to learn not be told answer
what i know is i have clockwise moment across the beam because a is hinge point so forces to resolve on rightward side

do i structure the problem in three parts with diagrammes follow?
then calculate the vertical reaction forces on a and b i am only to consider the dimensions of abc and def and the dimension cd is a mislead?

thank kindly

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Yes, you need to finish the FBD that you've started above. Note that the force you show at the hinge point A is opposite to the direction I would expect for countering the torque due to the person standing on the structure.

Also, is this for schoolwork? If so, we can move it to the schoolwork forums for you.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Yes, you need to finish the FBD that you've started above. Note that the force you show at the hinge point A is opposite to the direction I would expect for countering the torque due to the person standing on the structure.

Also, is this for schoolwork? If so, we can move it to the schoolwork forums for you.
thank you friend. i replaced the diagramme for a newer one.

so calculate the vertical reaction forces on a and b i only consider the dimensions of abc and def (vertical on the beam) and not cd (horizontal on the beam)?

Is the support at B a spring?
Does the force at E remain perpendicular to the structure as it rotates?
E to F need not be considered if the downward force is concentrated at E.

AZFIREBALL said:
Is the support at B a spring?
Does the force at E remain perpendicular to the structure as it rotates?
E to F need not be considered if the downward force is concentrated at E.
thank you friend

b is not spring is a rope support from above beam not coming from below. and the beam with the hinge point a and load at point e it is in equalibrium. e is point load yes is perpendicular

Last edited:
berkeman said:
@Letsgetphysicscool -- I don't think you've answered this question of mine yet...

And whether it is a schoolwork assignment or not, can you show us your sum of forces and sum of moments equations from the FBD? It's better if you use LaTeX to post the math equations instead of trying to fit them into ASCII simplifications (see the LaTeX Guide link below the Edit window). Thanks. :smile:

berkeman said:
And whether it is a schoolwork assignment or not, can you show us your sum of forces and sum of moments equations from the FBD? It's better if you use LaTeX to post the math equations instead of trying to fit them into ASCII simplifications (see the LaTeX Guide link below the Edit window). Thanks. :smile:
hello friend

this is what i stuck with and i say in first message. i confuse with vertical part on beam at cd otherwise i can do.

i don't know how to account for vertical part on horizontal.

is there general formula or rule? once i know this i can resolve for a and b

1. What is the purpose of finding moments in pedal (beam w/ right angles)?

The purpose of finding moments in pedal (beam w/ right angles) is to determine the amount of force or torque applied to a beam at a specific point. This can help engineers and designers understand the structural integrity of the beam and make necessary adjustments to ensure its stability.

2. How do you calculate moments in pedal (beam w/ right angles)?

To calculate moments in pedal (beam w/ right angles), you will need to know the distance between the applied force and the pivot point, as well as the magnitude of the applied force. The moment can then be calculated by multiplying the distance by the magnitude of the force.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative moment in pedal (beam w/ right angles)?

A positive moment in pedal (beam w/ right angles) indicates that the applied force is causing the beam to rotate in a clockwise direction, while a negative moment indicates counterclockwise rotation. Positive moments are typically associated with compressive forces, while negative moments are associated with tensile forces.

4. How does the angle of the applied force affect the moment in pedal (beam w/ right angles)?

The angle of the applied force can greatly affect the moment in pedal (beam w/ right angles). The closer the force is to being perpendicular to the beam, the greater the moment will be. This is because the perpendicular distance from the force to the pivot point is maximized, resulting in a larger moment.

5. What are some real-world applications of moments in pedal (beam w/ right angles)?

Moments in pedal (beam w/ right angles) have many real-world applications, such as in the design of bridges, buildings, and other structures. They are also important in the field of biomechanics, as they can help determine the forces and stresses on bones and joints in the human body. Moments can also be used to analyze the stability of objects, such as furniture or machinery, and to calculate the required strength of materials for construction projects.